Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warriors taking trophies  (Read 2439 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warriors taking trophies
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »

First, I'm sure something like this has been up before, but searching didn't turn up anything relevant for me.

So anyway. Your Axelord chops the enemy Goblin Spearmaster in half. He wants to commemorate this, so he claims the goblin's spear as his. That spear is now unforbidden regardless of standing forbid-orders, and is owned by this axelord. When combat subsides and the soldier is off duty, he will then pick up all claimed trophies and carry to whereever, maybe bring them to the dining hall and boast of his performances and so on.

Short version: Victorious warriors claiming equipment of the enemy for their own.
(I understand that dwarven ethics currently would be against taking flesh and bone trophies.)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors taking trophies
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:33:51 pm »

Comes up from time to time.  I think I started a thread like this once.  Needless to say, I think the idea rocks.  I was recently thinking that it might be cool for trophies to take the form of modifications to their current gear.  After fighting off some zombie bears, a dwarf might take a moment to put a couple bear teeth on his shield to commemorate the fight.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »

Perhaps only "champion" level dwarves would do this, so that they could request trophy cases for their rooms to show off their goodies.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

After fighting off some zombie bears, a dwarf might take a moment to put a couple bear teeth on his shield to commemorate the fight.
That's a pretty cool ideas, dwarves using equipment (any equipment!) adding decorations over time, to commemorate situations. Maybe hiring a craftsdwarf to make the modification.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:43:19 pm »

I think moreso than the weapons, they should take body parts etc. as well.

Example, Ulrist Mcwarriorpants has slain 20 Goblins, so he takes their skulls and puts them on his belt giving it a higher quality level and making it say <<Goblin Head Adorned Leather Belt>>, then it would become a conversation piece, a happy thought generator, and just plain awesome.

Could also make it so that when he's done he'll turn the body into a generic "Goblin Trophy" which can then be used to make commemorative statues, which you can then place anywhere and it generates a happy thought in relation to the dorf.

So a dorf that kills a dragon will take its trophy and build a commemorative statue out of it, then placing that in your main hall will leave a history note about the attack, people reading it will then think happier thoughts baout the individual as well as being happier in general.

I can see entire halls adorned with the stories of sieges and wars abound.
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:26:16 pm »

After fighting off some zombie bears, a dwarf might take a moment to put a couple bear teeth on his shield to commemorate the fight.
That's a pretty cool ideas, dwarves using equipment (any equipment!) adding decorations over time, to commemorate situations. Maybe hiring a craftsdwarf to make the modification.

I think that fits in with today's dwarf talk about semi-artifacts.  Champions might paint their ≡Steel Shield≡ with an image of their favorite cheese, add a notch for notable kills and a decoration for exceptional kills.  Or maybe just a longer item description involving related historical events.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:54:45 pm »

if the fort fall your warriors will have trophies based on the ethics,like the ones gobliens have from world gen.
it the same for adventures.

so it just need to be flashed out and add to fort mode.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:19 am »

And of course, elf skull helmets.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:22 am »

Screw that,I want someone to kill an elf and wear its hand on a rope as a necklace.
Or better yet,the entire elf.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:27:42 am »

The player should have some control over this. I for one don't want dwarves adding stupid crap into their standardized gear and claiming weapons I might have planned to be used for something else. Dwarves claiming every single copper dagger just because the owner had a name would quickly get irritating. Not all enemies are worth taking trophies out of. Additionally, as is, killer is determined by the killing blow. If the AI ever gets smart enough to not attack unconscious, bleeding enemies while there's more important targets wailing on the unit, kill stealing will be a serious problem. Giving credit to one dwarf for killing enemies requiring teamwork, like dragons, doesn't really work either. Communal trophies should be a valid choice.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:01 am »

Communal trophies should be a valid choice.
Give units standards that'll get decorated with their trophies, along with the unit's barracks
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:49 am »

Screw that,I want someone to kill an elf and wear its hand on a rope as a necklace.
Or better yet,the entire elf.

Elf ear necklage.

Cant beat good old ear necklage.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:17 am »

The player should have some control over this. I for one don't want dwarves adding stupid crap into their standardized gear and claiming weapons I might have planned to be used for something else. Dwarves claiming every single copper dagger just because the owner had a name would quickly get irritating.
Your first goblin kill is sure worth a trophy. Your second maybe as well. After that, it'll take something much more exceptional for a warrior to want to take a trophy.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:42 am »

in the event of a team kills the one that did the most wounds gets it?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:12 am »

So, the one who cut off all fingers is better than the one who chopped the head off? I doubt so. I am pretty happy with the current kill tracking (thanks god it exists at all now) and it should be another suggestion.

On topic:
I think there should be two kind of trophies/awards:
 - Awards of an important victory
 - Trophies of multiple combat successes.

The first one should be related to a victory over a significant foe (a megabeast, an important historical figure etc.) and should accept a "head" or similar bodypart (or a piece of armor/weapon) in case of "communal df" or should require a hiring of a craftsdwarf to make something reminding of the deed in case of "economy".

The second type should be "look how many guys I killed" type of a trophy. Probably there should be a [trOPHY] token on smaller bodyparts as ears, digits etc. and they should be stacked as a necklace/belt decorations.

In any case I don't think that it should make soldiers to replace their gear, but it may be stored in their chests/weapon racks/armor stands.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2