Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Vaults  (Read 4720 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vaults
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »

I need ideas for how best to create a safe, awesome and dwarven vault that will contain a massive chunk of coins.

The more impractical the better.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

Drain a magma pipe, build a room in the center, fill it with coins. 

See if any damned kobold theif makes it in there!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »

Carve out (not build) a suspended safe, save a suspended block above the support tiles (the only things keeping it mounted to the wall; the block will fall through all the tiles, severing the entire connection), have an enemy-triggered pressure plate where your most valued treasure is (they must steal it in order to activate it).

Make yourself some popcorn when a kobold decides it would be a good idea to steal from you.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »

You can't drain magma pipes.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »

You can't drain magma pipes.

You can drain magma pipes, and as long as you keep pumping it's pretty much permanent too. The rate of replenishing for magma in a magma pipe isn't very high either.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

Ya, after the draining of the magma pipe I meant for the pipe to be allowed to fill back up, so that the vault is surrounded in magma.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:38:01 pm »

Create water sensitive pressure plates on the vault roof. Surround the vault with water. Should anything cause the water to drain away have the entire vault collapse.

Be sure to make the collapse indirect because it is hard to stop the plates from activating while connecting them up.

Build a clock to control the only entrance to the vault so that it only opens for a few days each year.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 06:30:32 pm »

Since when do Dwarves exploit the natural terrain to get what they're after?  That's not the Dwarven way!  Dwarves re-mold the land to suit their needs, and build overly complicated deathtraps for no apparent reason!

No, what you need is a magmafall trap surrounding the vault.  Basically, you build yourself a nice pit with the outer walls spaced out in such a way that you can pour burning death from above and be sure to hit anything in range.  Then you build magma-proof floor grates above that and pump towers ready to pull magma along the outer walls.  Then you build a path that's absolutely forbidden for your Dwarves leading to the vault and set up a pressure plate there to activate the main mechanism that operates all of the magma pumps.  That way, as soon as your would-be thieves step into the room, they're hit by a cascade of molten death from above!  THAT is the Dwarven way!  Excessively dangerous to engineer, extremely overkill in practice, and absolutely overkill in sheer effectiveness.
Sanity is for the weak.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »

Put the coins out in the open.

It's impractical because. Shit dawg the money is OUT IN THE OPEN! .. but that's the beauty of it. The kobolds will sense it's a trap. They'll be looking like madmen at the rocks, the shrubberies, the footprints .. where are the pressure plates? are these leaves natural or carefully laid out over a pit? oh god what was that noise? what is that smell? how far is the fall beneath our feet? is there a magma pipe there?? oh god save me!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »

You could always make the vault behind (or below) your barracks, which is also the only way into your fort.  Then you can watch (and scream at your dwarves) when a kobold sneaks in past a dozen dozing champions and makes off with your artifact adamantine battle axe.

Don't worry, they'll still be sleeping when the smith who made it goes berserk and kills half your dwarves.  They'll probably be sleeping right up until the tantrum spiral makes it's way to the barracks and murders all of your champions in their beds.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:21:53 pm »

I've done an entire fortress with forging and vault inside a vent. Other than that, I'd have a hole several levels down into the vault, so things could be dropped in. The only way to walk into the vault would be a bridge blocked by magma, which could be pumped in front of the bridge but not away. When the bridge is opened, it smashes the magma and leaves a clear path. Should someone open the area in front of the bridge without activating the bridge, they'll get an outflow of magma in their faces.

This should just be the last line of defense for your adventurer- or thief-proof trap. The lever should have all kinds of defense too!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:46 pm »

I think that, upon entering, if a lever has not been pulled first the vault should be immersed in magma. Think of a 1 z-level suspended vault in a 3 z-level room. Upon entering, several pumps start pumping in magma in the large room, with no sign of this in the vault. When the adventurer or theif tries to leave the vault, they open the door and magma pours out, filling the vault with magma, and they burn.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:33:34 am »

Umm....

Your plan is exactly the same as mine in every respect except that your vault's loot gets destroyed for no particular reason. In mine, the adventurer just melts :)

I think a great security measure would be to leave clues throughout the fortress about which lever is right, but have 5/6 of the levers in the final room (if you ever survive the journey there) that temporarily lock and flood the lever room. So without all of the clues, you would be taking a chance at death.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:30 am »

Put the coins out in the open.

It's impractical because. Shit dawg the money is OUT IN THE OPEN! .. but that's the beauty of it. The kobolds will sense it's a trap. They'll be looking like madmen at the rocks, the shrubberies, the footprints .. where are the pressure plates? are these leaves natural or carefully laid out over a pit? oh god what was that noise? what is that smell? how far is the fall beneath our feet? is there a magma pipe there?? oh god save me!

Paranoia isn't in the game... Yet.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

starburst98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:29 am »

man, if dwarf fort gets that complicated it would need like, a NASA super computer to run at faster then 0~1 fps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5