Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback  (Read 45864 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Feedback
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_7_missing_segment.mp3

There's a link to the raw discussion.  We might not edit it down, though hopefully there will be a transcript at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2010, 10:46:13 pm »

Quick Guide:
◀artifacts▶ (for those unaware, this is what DF uses to indicate Magical items): 0-10:00
(Scamps): 10-11
notoriety and social consequences of artifacts: 11-15:30
semiartifacts/attached items: 15:30-20:00
Other Creation: 20:00-22:00
(other stuff):22-22:45
fell moods 22:45-23:40 aborted to [The retry is included in the podcast]
(chatprogram interlude to more scamps) 23:40 to 27:13(end)

That's more like it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 11:27:30 pm »

I knew we had that in there!

...only I forgot.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2010, 09:28:13 am »

Selling a metal whistle that sucks the users to a fire dimension to the elves?

Glorious!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »

Yeah, that raw segment was exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.  Cool.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2010, 12:58:49 pm »

Much, much better. Yay!

It sounds to me like certain artifacts could be like nobles in their own right, making various demands.  But as long as the benefits are good enough, that's fine by me.

I actually think more things should make demands. Like your enemies should make demands (that you can ignore if you have a military force), and of course Dragons and other megabeasts should make demands. The various deities should also make demands via priests.  There should be different consequences for violating each demand source, of course. Maybe even consquences if you fulfil the demands as well... a good set of choices where you don't want any of the possible outcomes would be great fun!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 04:37:17 pm »

I second the general consensus of this segment being sufficient compensation for the inadequateness of the original podcast! ^_^
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:17 am »

Sounds like the elven caravans might be getting away with their lives more frequently after deciding to trade at forts in some future version. Enjoyed the listening to missing part.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:04 am »

I really liked this part in the missing segment:

Tarn: "You don't want to go too, too, too nuts with it, but *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUCOUGHCOUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH*"
Someone: "Geeeez"
Tarn: "Excuse me-but for things like [...]"

A perfect topic re-railment!
I have much to learn...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:25 am »

Transcript by mallocks is up for the missing segment:

http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_7_transcript_2.html
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:24 am »

Okay, we know Dwarves are unique in the world. We know this every time that Urist McDwarf goes into a martial trance before he swims with the fishes. Their feats of combat can be unmatched. A Dabbling fighter becomes a deadly warrior! Almost like how a Dabbling Metalsmith can make a Deadly weapon...
I think that trances are sort of "Semi-Artifact" combat skills. I strongly suspect that what makes a Dwarf trance also explains away the creation of artifacts.

I've always viewed it as an element of their mental instability. A Dwarf can admire a finely crafted table one minute, and then go into a suicidal rampage the next at the death of a single cat in a small lava incident, Ripping off clothes and heads at will. I've always wandered if it might indeed be magical, and the Insanity a side-effect of magic instead. Is it a mental instability? Magical intervention? I believe we are getting closer to an answer our question!

Hooray for (a full) talk 7.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »

I really enjoyed that. Very interesting to hear some of the ideas for what artifacts will do in the future.

It'd be interesting to see certain megabeasts and semi-megabeasts craft artifacts as well. Perhaps as part of quests?

Imagine meeting up with a Cyclops who is a renowned weaponsmith. He instructs the adventurer that if the hero can gather certain items for him, he will craft a sword that will allow the hero to slay a powerful Titan that has been the Cyclops' nemesis for hundreds of years.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »

If all the Cyclops needs is the materials, why doesn't the Cyclops go and kill the titan himself once he has his magic mentos or whatever? I'd think the big cyclops stands a much better chance than the puny adventurer.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »

If all the Cyclops needs is the materials, why doesn't the Cyclops go and kill the titan himself once he has his magic mentos or whatever? I'd think the big cyclops stands a much better chance than the puny adventurer.

Lousy depth perception!  Sheesh.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:21:09 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:39 pm »

Maybe he has a crippled leg or something. Or a bad case of arsenic poisoning, as ancient smiths often had. Either way, he's a good smith but not a warrior and isn't too keen on adventuring himself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6