Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pathfinding issues  (Read 538 times)

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pathfinding issues
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:01 am »

While doing some exploratory mining my alert screen became flooded with various dorfs suddenly "unable to find paths".  They are beginning to starve to death and I have become concerned.
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinding issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:02:04 am »

Just as a guess: ramps can be tricky.

You can make ramps that "look fine" but don't work, and you can break them via mining nearby later.

Put the cursor on one of the confused dwarves and trace the expected route to the beer with the cursor.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:34:43 am »

The only ramp I have is multiple z-levels above...
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »

hmm.. are there any doors/floodgates/bridges between your dwarves and the food that are locked/lowered/raised respectivly. Any walls or channels built between your dwarves and food. Any flooding? Are the dwarves in question in workshops that were just built? Most workshops have tiles that cant be walked on these are darkgreen x's when you're building them; I lost my first fort to this.

Alternativly, are the exploratory tunnels you dug below the food level, and are the dwarves in question on this level? Did you dig down stairs to get there but no up stairs to get back up? hmm.. thats all I can think of.

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »

Put the cursor on one of the confused dwarves and trace the expected route to the beer with the cursor.
Alternatively, draft one of the dwarves and station them along the route until they refuse to move.

Or, attempt to build doors along the route. Either it'll give a 'no doors available' message until you reach the trouble spot, or there will be a different number available than usual.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.