Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun Pocket Dimension Adventure  (Read 4079 times)

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
Fun Pocket Dimension Adventure
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:33:22 am »

Today I decided to generate a batch of worlds to find an interesting place to adventure. After a few runs in large worlds, I found that the interwoven, super-complex relationships of all the entities made it hard to make a real impact with an adventurer without completely eradicating everything, so instead I generated a pocket dimension. Thus was born the Dragon-Planet of Typhoons, a lone landmass called the Blameless Continent with a small sea called the Sunken Blueness. The generation was very quick, and it only went 30 years into history generation before stopping.

The world was actually a relatively peaceful place between the sentient races. The humans and dwarves settled in isolated towns that were calm. One of the towns was ran by a local group of priests who erected a temple and a castle, as well as several hovels. The humans, however lacked a capital for reasons unknown, and were led mostly by a Merchant Baroness. The goblins conquered most of the continent in the absence of all kobolds, and had a healthy array of human, elven, and dwarven slaves that tended to the pikemaster that led their cult based around torture. It was all, as you can tell, rather normal...

However, the world was truly in a state of crisis. At the beginning of time, a dragon named Obin Taxfire and a demon named Smunstu Glowbrand the Lies of Fire were among the strongest forces in the land. They forced the few remaining mythical creatures -- a titan and a minotaur, into hiding in a cave where they were oppressed by the locals, only coming out to raze the occasional hovel.

The dragon was a completely independent entity, only wishing to acquire wealth as he plundered the fertile, young cities of the humans and dwarves. The demon, however, was even more greedy, but for a different commodity. The demon wished for souls and devotion, and started a massive cult called the Parched Sect which originally started with just goblin worshipers. However, as the dragon began to threaten the other races, they all joined and worshiped the demon in exchange for faith and protection. To prevent this wrongdoing, the humans created the Pregnant Faith, a religion based around Shibbi, the god of dance, and encouraged all humans to join and follow the oracular way of the feet.

Around this time, there was a lone elven civilization deep in the woods with a leader named Enure Fernskunk the Solitary Wing-Satin. He was among the only of the elves. The entire civilization had been wiped out only three years after history generation began, and all that was left was himself and an enslaved elf-girl at the goblin fortress who served the Demon himself. Enraged, Enure started a religion around the consumption of flesh, and started hunting and feasting on the goblins that enslaved his "love." Eventually, Enure killed and ate enough of the Demon's followers to pull him out of hiding, and they had a showdown that resulting in Enure killed and eating the Demon and causing the religion to collapse! With a lust for blood, Enure held off battle after battle all by himself in his Oaks of Humility, proving to be a mighty elf. This is roughly when I entered the game.

With the dragon as the last mythical creature alive, we left the Age of Dragon and Demon and entered the Draconic Age, an era in which Obin has many religious followers, but lacked an actual religious group. Instead, they worshiped him out of fear. When I entered the game, every sentient group leader gave me the quest to kill Obin -- and a few asked me to killed the last remaining other mythic, the minotaur named Tad, first.

I trekked to Obin's lair and entered the cave where I began to search for him. After a long search, I stumbled upon him, completely unharmed, around a pile of wealth. After about thirty minutes of dodging, ambushing, throwing, and fleeing, I managed to cleave my axe into his head, which resulted in him bleeding out within a few seconds. The civilizations across the globe heralded Relad Bonehowl as their hero, and the Dragon-Planet of Typhoons entered the Golden Age...

All of that happened within about an hour and a half. It was amazing adventure, and from now on, I'm going to do more pocket dimension adventures because the lore seems so much more concentrated and richer, and my adventurer's impact is so much stronger. I'm also going to experiment with alternate histories on this world, I'm thinking.

So, have you had any amazing lore-filled adventures, or experiences with pocket dimensions? How about a story where your adventurer really made an impact?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pocket Dimension Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:09 am »

Every single sentinant being left alive feared me...
I hunted every last one of them down and the proclaimed myself king of the land.
Then i jumped into a magma pipe to fight a magma man.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

I love pocket worlds.  :D One time I tried to extinct every race alive. Didn't work out so well, but it was fun.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »

I once had such an epic Dimension.

I forgot the name, but it had something to do with cold and Winter.

There is only one civ, human, with one town, on the only forested part of the world which is next to a warm sea. then there is some grass/swamp land. After that there is endless tundra and cold. It was called the god-forbidden winter, which I found uber awesome due to the fact that it was frozen.  There was also a mountain range called the frozen fangs, in which lived a dragon.

I tried to kill him, but my due to the fact that I could not be able to "T"ravel across the mountains I had to walk there and always froze to death.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:17:45 pm »

Yeah, I find normal worlds to be too big for anything else than for finding a suitable site. I would love to have smaller worlds with more features for fine fortresses and for an interesting history.

Also I think that if Legends mode changes in the future, it will be more interesting to play in bigger worlds. For now, Legends mode is too hard to navigate and it's not easy to understand the overall happenings, thus smaller worlds are much more easier to guess and thus are much more interesting.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

Do you have the seeds/mod list for that pocket dimension?

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:15:50 pm »

Do you have the seeds/mod list for that pocket dimension?
It was without any mods, but I sadly no longer have the seed. Generating a few pocket dimensions will produce similar results, however. Most of them end up being Demonic or Draconic Ages.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

I find almost all of them will start in the Age of the Demon and the X unless it fails to give goblins. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:33:48 am »

I tend to get 'The Age of the Bronze Colossus / Age of Civilisation' in pocket worlds. Just my luck.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:30 am »

Gave this a shot. There were two human towns, one elven forest retreat, and a dark fortress and mountain home under dorf control. The humans were waging a terrible war against the elves, and the dwarves had wiped out the ice goblin race and taken their lands (modded civ, trollocs, plain goblins and fire goblins were wiped out during world gen). World gen ended around year 30 when the only Myrddraal semi-megabeast to spawn was killed, leaving a lone Hydra as the only remaining beastie. The only downside to the early end to world gen is that most of the races are made up mostly of children. I've already gone through about 3 adventurers; one was killed in a single hit by a legendary elf guard, one had the crap beaten out of him by a legendary elven warrior monk and about 10 elf kids, and the third was one shotted by the previously mentioned hydra. My current one is pretty epic. He's already killed about 17 elves (although most of those were children).

Now I just have to find that darn hydra again.
REVENGE WILL BE MINE!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »

I tend to get 'The Age of the Bronze Colossus / Age of Civilisation' in pocket worlds. Just my luck.

Age of Elves for me :\ My luck is terrible...
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »

This thread inspired me to gen my first pocket world for adventuring.  The NE mountains held one dwarf fortress, the NW plains had a human town, the central forest held two elven retreats (different civs), a kobold cave was in the far SE across haunted dunes, and the SW ocean had a volcanic island.

Legends told me the humans and both elven civs were at war, and there was one dragon that harassed everyone, though it apparently had a taste for elves and dwarf-owned donkeys (poor donkeys :'().  The dwarves worshiped it, and maybe the humans too.

I genned a few humans and went exploring.  The first died when paralyzed by a giant scorpion. The second was killed on his diplomatic tour - his two dwarf buddies just stood and watched while a swordself effortlessly gutted him.  The third was torn to pieces by the dragon.  This provided three targets of vengeance for my fourth adventurer, a lasher.

The scorpion, now named, had moved into the kobold cave.  When I arrived it managed to mangle three kobolds, but one of them was a shockingly lucky thief that managed to stick its dagger in the beast and kept on twisting despite the horrific things being done to his own body.  The scorpion bled to death before I ever saw it.

The elves were next.  My righteous vengeance could not be contained.  Children, herbalists, rangers, guards, and more children watered their beloved trees with their blood.  Never before had one man sliced so many ears from elven heads.  At one point I had three arrows and a wooden sword stuck in my body, yet didn't even slow down.  Even a brain-piercing shot from one of the last surviving guards proved no difficulty.  While sweeping the surrounding forest for survivors, I discovered the dwarves, and enlisted them.  They would soon prove their worth.

With the elves slaughtered, only the dragon remained on my hitlist.  The dwarves and I arrived at his cave, and followed the screams of burning kobolds.  The dwarves rushed him, surprisingly willing to fight their deity.  His dragonfire hit them, and one burst into flames, but fought on.  As the dragon ripped pieces off the burning dwarf, I began throwing wooden arrows at him, but his hide proved too sturdy.  By this point the burning dwarf was paralyzed, yet still valiantly tried to bite the dragon, but soon died.  The other dwarf then got a lucky hit, knocking the beast unconscious, but it soon recovered.  Finally overwhelmed by smoke, the other dwarf fell, but much to my surprise the same happened to the dragon.  Mighty though it was, it could not last so long wreathed in the flame and smoke of its own making.  When the fires died down, I collected the hammers of my fallen companions and the scorched skull of the dragon and returned home.

Wishing to leave this violent life behind me, I soon left the town, and swam across the ocean to the island that none ever traveled to.  However, even here I could find no peace, and was forced to slay a camel that proved to be a worthier adversary than any elf I had known.  Seeing that this was my inescapable lot in life, I returned home and am now preparing for my last great task - the final destruction of the elves, who have plagued my kinsmen for the last thirty years, and shall plague us for a thousand more if given the chance.  I will not permit them their chance.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:29:44 pm »

Pocket worlds are always awesome, in both adventure and fortress :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

Yeah, now that I've wiped out the elves there's only humans, dwarves, and kobolds, which would make for a fairly tame fortress experience.  Maybe I'll find and breach some HFS just for my adventurer.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »

i once generated a pocket world :

"Age Of Emptyness"

shit , i has baed luck
Pages: [1] 2