Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Slavegold - Tantrum spiral averted!  (Read 4918 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavegold - Community Fortress
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 11:27:57 am »

At this moment, Lumion is the Veteran Miner who can basically carve out half the mountain in a year, if I asked him to :p He's also a pretty decent furnace operator, but I haven't gotten any mechanics yet, so he has no skill in that, unfortunately. He's not in either of them unless you ask me to (or you could set up a third cult, but I've only got two potential followers for you at this point).

10th of Granite:

The servants of Aisean, discontent with not having any children, had a child of their own. An unknown servant has given birth to a boy! The two cults now stand at equal strength.

More Malachite was found while we carved the tunnels to get to the temple foundation sites. We must melt it down and refine it, to form more coins for the Queen!

Zieg, our master stoneworker, has begun crafting masterpiece after masterpiece. He has currently ordered all the masons to produce a massive quantity of doors, as he felt there just weren't enough in the fortress.

14th of Granite:
A goblin snatcher was seen outside the fortress, but one of our haulers took him by the hand and drowned him in the brook. Some of the dwarves are slightly worried that our growing wealth (We are nearly at an estimated one million dwarf bucks) will attract ambushes and that our surface venturing dwarves will suffer fatal consequences as a result. We remain leaderless too, but if I am leader, I shall make sure that all complaining dwarves are sent out to do their duty and their work.

15th of Granite:
We are in need of more bedrooms for our laborers. I have decided to use one of the tunnels and ordered alcoves to be carved there, where we will then stuff beds. Hopefully they will be happy to finally have somewhere to sleep.

We have been ambushed! To arms ye wounded dwarves!

An enemy marksdwarf has been spotted! Kill the betrayer!

My goodness, An axedwarf has joined the goblin ranks too

17th of Granite:

The battle is over, the betrayers are dead, slain by our hammerdwarves. Only three or four goblins managed to escape and their dead number at many. We lost no one, though some of our civilians were wounded in the ambush. Due to my leadership, I have been elected mayor once again, at last. The enemy dwarves wore high quality steel armor, which will be scavenged and used by our own troops.

20th of Granite

Our most efficient gem cutter has been taken by a fey mood! Let us pray that he can find the items he desires.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:45:07 am by Lidhuin »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »

*cheers the story on*  Your fort quite captures my imagination :)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »

Yay a mention of Zieg! Nice to know he hasn't been lost in the growing crowd of Dwarves  ;D

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

Alright, time to take a mention of all the named dwarves we have:

Fath McNoble, myself, took care of organizing and bookkeeping duties after Stas' went mad. I've since delegated those duties to Seastar. Currently also hauling around a lot of stuff, to make use of my high attributes.

Ungulateman McWoody is our resident wood cutter, carpenter and wood burner. While not legendary, he is a high master wood cutter and wood burner, who was put out of commission due to a fight with a goblin. Minor wounds though, that should heal in a season or two.

Zieg our master stoneworker is a legendary mason and legendary engraver. He seems to always make the best engravings and has pretty much made every single item in the fortress, barring whatever the other three masons manage to make. However, he does seem to like to make engravings of his own masterwork pieces sometimes.

Urist McUrist has mostly suffered from a lack of coal. There's plenty of wood to burn, but it's not burnt fast enough. Hopefully, the rebel cultists will remedy that situation. She has forged many coins and is the only one permitted in the metalsmith forge. She has also forged about thirty pairs of steel gauntlets, thirty suits of steel plate armour and thirty steel war hammers, approximately. Not legendary either, unfortunately.

Seastar is basically a weaver who I gave a bunch of followers to. Hopefully, Seastar will become an excellent organizer and broker and perhaps even a glassworker in the future. She will lead the rebellion against the Queen someday!

Aisean is our legendary grower, who had a grudge against the now deceased Stas. She is also a legendary bone carver (mood), master herbalist and talented brewer. She is the reason our fortress did not starve after the first winter, as we got pretty close to losing a few people (damn champions eating us out of the house).

Stas was our bookkeeper and broker until he went insane, due to a mood. It was rather unfortunate, but there was nothing that could be done about it.

McKoboldsbane is an NPC who took out a kobold AFTER the kobold had stabbed him in the spine. He wasn't particularly strong, tough or anything. He deserves an honorable mention.

All mentions of mining basically go to Lumion, even if his name isn't specifically mentioned and most metalcrafting goes to Urist McUrist.

11th of Slate: More migrants have arrived. We have also nearly finished the chambers for Seastar so that she can begin working.

Useful professions: A Miner, a Hammerdwarf/Wrestler, a Jeweler (set to gem setting), an Engraver and two Craftsdwarves.

Drafted into marksdwarves: Six peasants, a woodworker, a weaver, a armorer, two rangers, a woodcutter and a siege operator.

Added to Aisean's Servants: Grower

Added to Rebel Cultists: Peasant

Set to hauling duty: Gem cutter, peasant

We are now 111 dwarves.

19th of Slate:
Seastar room is complete. Now it merely requires the gems to be immaculate. We are building an archery range next to the barracks. Everything is going according to plan, as our vaults are being filled up with copper coins. We have yet to find any gold or silver though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »

A siege arrives! 15th of Hematite. All dwarves were ordered inside. 25 military dwarves were ordered to front entrance and the guards were expected to do... whatever it is that they do. Many dwarves, military and guard, are injured however, so I do not know how many will make it to the field of battle.

We expect heavy casaulties and due to starvation, I order the puppies and cow calfs slaughtered for their meat and fat.

On the 17th of Hematite, our forces clashed at our dwarven gates. The hammerdwarves stormed out, shield and hammer in hand, helms raised high and armours gleaming in the vicious sunlight. Our marksdwarves, inexperienced, followed relunctantly behind them with loaded crossbows.

A goblin was sent flying over the lake, as blood was smeared and splattered all over the land's black sand.

As the hammerdwarves swung their hammers wildly, so too did the goblins learn to fly. Some hit the ground with such ferocity that they exploded into messy piles of gore, their body parts separated by the force of the impact.

The entire siege was destroyed with not a single casaulty. Praise be the champions for their might and praise be to Urist McUrist for his wonderful steel armour. Without it, many would surely have perished.

The crossbowdwarves did not get to fire many bolts at the enemy this day, but perhaps in the future they will find their skills needed, should we ever become enemies of the elves.

I was re-elected, due to my handling of this siege. I only hope that the Queen will understand how much our enemies have tried to take over this fortress and how valuable they perceive it to be. Not to mention, how valuable it has become.

The items most of my champions have:

A goblin was sent flying over the lake:

A goblin was sent flying into the hill and exploded upon impact:

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

Year 213:
Dwarf Cancels Give Food, No Food Available.

(More details forthcoming, but, a tantrum destroyed the depot while traders were there, effectively giving me all their goods. This is problematic, as I had trade restrictions in place. Also, apparantly DEATH is considered less of a punishment than imprisonment, because one of my beaten and dead carpenters had the thought "was glad to have his punishment reduced lately").
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:24:26 pm by Lidhuin »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »

Year 213, condensed:

After we finally stole food from the mountainhomes, we ceased to starve. This however, was the least of our troubles. Angered by the breaking of our laws, many guards refused to work and some champions even threw tantrums. This eventually got so bad that some of the guards became melancholic or went babbling mad! At one point, one of my champions went berserk.

This wasn't just any champion either. This was the champion who wielded Authoredthunder, the artifact mountain goat bone war hammer! He proceeded to kill three dwarves: A rebel, a guard and a hauler, as well as a number of dogs, until he was taken down by other champions.

A number of dwarves were executed for their crimes, beaten to death or suffocating as a result of the beatings they took. This, of course, did not make matters any better. McKoboldsbane was one of the slain dwarves, to the dismay of Aisean.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:05 am »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:16:53 am by Demonic Spoon »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 11:07:06 am »

Aye, I've been busy with classes and wondering what to do with the fortress. The trade depot thing changes the dynamic of the fortress a lot!

I also seem to have staved off the tantrum spiral by building... a well! A lot of people got Very unhappy about not having a well.

Temple construction
I have burnt looots of wood. I believe I have 2-300 charcoal and 200 more logs. The goal is to eventually produce a glass temple of jealousy (complete with aquarium!) and a soap temple of persuasion (complete with swimming pool!). This project may have to wait a bit.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Slavegold - Tantrum spiral averted!
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 11:17:19 am »

Sounds nice, glad to hear about tantrum spiral avertingness.  ;D

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:07 am »

I keep feeling guilty as I read this tale.  I hear of how well Aisean is feeding the fortress, then I hear of starvation and desperation.  Were I a noble I'd order Aisean beaten!  Glad the story is in your hands, not mine  :D
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 11:45:32 pm »

I think the problem is that 1 legendary grower can feed a whole fortress.

1 legendary grower and 10 dabbling cannot.
Pages: 1 2 [3]