Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Slavegold - Tantrum spiral averted!  (Read 4919 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavegold - Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:25 pm »

The Symbol of our Government is a Wizard, an engraver has said, and so it has been carved into my office.

We are now 51 dwarves and a number of dogs in this grand settlement.

7th of Galena, 211:
9 dwarves were assigned to the fortress guard. None other were available, truly, as the nobles demanded the haulers to remain.

I made a demand that we make some leather armour for our troops, but I believe it may have fallen on deaf ears. In any case, I shall have to demand that we dig deeper and search for more precious metals, as we are sorely lacking in coinage. We have three more years after this summer to make coinage for our precious Queen.

Stas seems to have been possessed. It will be interesting to see what he creates as a consequence.

10th of Galena:
Stas demands cloth! We must acquire for him, but we cannot grow pig tails, nor have we found any rope reed and there are few spiders in the vicinity. Time is of the essence! Aisean, grudge or no grudge, must find the necessary plants to save him from madness!

13th of Limestone:
Praise the miners! We have struck Malachite. We can now produce more coins!

16th of Limestone:
The Merchants have arrived. How are we to save Stas if we do not trade for cloth?

22nd of Limestone:
We attempted to get some cloth and thread from the merchants, but Stas refused to use it. His sense of duty towards the colony inspires us all, as he has saved us from excommunication from the mountainhome. He himself, however, has gone mad. He appears to be babbling something about overthrowing the current queen and about it all being her fault. His words are magmatic to our ears, and it pains us that he will eventually perish. In his honor, we are erecting a marble coffin in his office, where he might rest eternally. 'Fath McNoble has taken over his duties'.

5th of Timber, 211:
More migrants have arrived:

Assigned to the (Now deceased) Stas' Fortress Guard:
A miller, three peasants, animal dissector

Useful immigrants kept:
Hunter, woodcutter, furnace operator, gem cutter

We are now 60 in this grand fortress. We currently require:
Another farmer and another brewer.

All haulers have been re-assigned to the fortress guard.

Let us pray to Etur Fingerpoints, The Mine of Heart, that we get those immigrants soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:49:03 pm by Lidhuin »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 07:05:49 pm »

I am really, really enjoying this tale.  Alas for my poor nemesis, for he was half of my character, wether she knew it or not.  Hope I get another grudge - so truly did I fear for her when her enemy became Sheriff!  My poor socially-blind Aisean, to ignorant not to understand you don't pick fights with the people in power.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:44 pm »

Watch me come back as a zombo-terminator-ninja-pirate-pokemon dwarf....No but seriously,even though my guy died I will keep reading this and who knows maybe  Seaster, fellow rebelgood friend of Stas, who is also very interested in dark and strange cultsreligions, might come to take over his duties.  *winkwink*

Also, IMP, I think I know why there is a grudge between our dorfs, it goes back, way back in the past...We were young... Young and foolish.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:57 pm »

Four dead dwarves. Kinda amazing I haven't lost more in the past 2-3 years. Perhaps the next (non-useful) immigrant can become the next bookkeeper?

22nd of Moonstone:
We were ambushed by goblins! An unlucky fisherdwarf was fishing in the brook when a goblin marksman started shooting bolts at him. He was shot in his lower left arm and elbow and tried to escape through the aqueduct we carved a long time ago. He eventually fell unconscious due to pain, and the other goblins caught up to him and he was mercilessly slaughtered. In the meantime, I, as the new sheriff of the fortress, rallied the guard and sent them out to have the goblins meet their doom.

In the narrow tunnels, with an aqueduct on one side and a dirt wall on the other, a massacre took place. One champion in the front ranks died quickly, but permitted his allies to overcome the goblin invasion. At least three goblins were thrown to their deaths, into the murky waters below. The others had their necks broken and their hearts ripped out. One unfortunate champion fell unconscious into the water and the miners dug out a ramp to him, just as he drowned.

Three large tombs were dug near the simple coin vaults for the dead dwarves.

1st of Opal
One of the immigrant bone carver was taken by a mood! He proceeded to take over the workshop and collect various materials.

3rd of Opal
The bone carver has found what he was looking for and has begun a new and mysterious construction

7th of Opal
The Bone Carver has created an Artifact Bone War Hammer. Praise be! We happen to be equipping all our troops with war hammers. Unfortunately, this War Hammer will still be less efficient than the simplest of the steel war hammers we are crafting, but its name will inspire awe in our foes and allies alike: "Authoredthunder..."

"...the furs of tenderness."

10th of obsidian
Nil, a champion, has given birth to a dwarf. This colony can now truly call itself a fortress.

An elven caravan arrived soon afterwards. Bringing only cloth however, we must refuse to trade with them. With any luck, they will bring better goods next year. If they do not, I do not know if I can contain my anger.

19th of Granite:
I have taken stock of the fortress. We currently stand at 130k dwarf bucks in wealth (with roughly 8k in platinum coins), 57 people, with 29 soldiers. Our food stocks are sufficient, but we are very low on booze. We have a single child in our fortress and have exported nearly nothing and most of our imports are from immigrants and ambushes.

I believe too many dwarves have pets however. I will seek to remedy this issue immediately.

16th of Slate
One of our masons has been possessed. This is unfortunate, but if he dies, we lose nothing at least.

7th of Felsite, 212:
A dungeon master and a planter have arrived!

A bowyer, an engineer, a thresher, two animal caretakers and a glassmaker were allowed to keep their jobs.

An animal caretaker, animal dissector, a pump operator, a soaper, a cheese maker, a weaponsmith and nine peasants were set to hauling duty. Far too many useless immigrants that we cannot afford to militarize yet.

A gem cutter and metalcrafter were drafted, to avoid them interfering with our current workers.

We just got 24 more immigrants!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:46:41 pm by Lidhuin »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 12:50:08 am »

Best. Hammer name. Ever.

If you'd be so kind, I'd like a dorf.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 06:11:36 am »

I like it. Also, I would like a room with windows overlooking the coin vaults please.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:48:54 am by Demonic Spoon »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:15 am »

4th of Hematite:
Ungulateman McWoody, a male forester has been happy lately. He gained a first name recently.

A new project has commenced! Two new chambers of dwarfiness must be built in Urist's name, gem windows and all! Which made me realize that my vaults are boring and not at all awesome.

10th of Hematite:
We went two marksman to the ridiculously small underground pool we have:

I eagerly await the results of this expedition.

14th of Hematite:
Ungulateman McWoody found a kobold thief and proceeded to hack him to bits! No kobold shall steal from us mighty dwarves!

15th of Hematite, 212:
Our marksdwarf hunters have unleashed a flurry of bolts into the pool and thinned the population of creatures in it. Meanwhile, human traders have finally made it to our site! I wonder if they will bring anything useful to us? If only those trade restrictions were lifted, but another three years must pass.

The coins we have minted so far:
210: Front: An image of Ashs Back: The Ascension of Urvad Bentink the dwarf, to the leadership of the Abbey of Secrets, in 1999. (current queen is Urvad Matlikot)
211: Front: The Rise of Smunstu Drunkenfly the Goblin as an enemy of the Abbey of Secrets, early winter 209. Back: An image of purring maggots, the symbol of the Abbey of Secrets.
212: Front: The Ascension of Litast Pulleywhirl the dwarf to the leadership of the Abbey of Secrets in 98. Back: An image of Screamspy, the Golden Flute (artifact from previous fort)

24th of Hematite:
I have been usurped by a commoner! Unacceptable, yet he is the new mayor now. Some Olin Udibekast. A mason, at least, and not a hauler.

8th of Galena:
It appears that one of my engravers may have gotten the wrong memo. Ungulateman's room was filled with pictures of me, including one I found rather humorous. A picture of me surrounded by cows. I wonder if he's trying to say something about the haulers? In any case, the rooms that surround the two new vaults we are building are vast and magnificient and aptly placed near the main meeting hall.

26th of Galena:
Three rooms have been carved around the vaults and the gem cutter is hard at work, trying to make all the cut gems for the windows we have demanded. The underground pool has been cleared of monsters.

4th of Limestone:
We are using Dendritec Agates for one set of windows. The other windows need 48 gems in total, 12 in one set. We'll have to find out if we have enough!

One of our cooks has just withdrawn from society. Let us hope it is not a fell mood that will slaughter one of our own!

7th of Limestone:
Our cook has taken three stones of talc (yuck!) and some rope reed cloth and is making something new and mysterious.

12th of Limestone, 212:
He has created yet another smulet. There must be many malicious spirits around here desiring something in which to put their souls. We must keep our eyes open, for even if evil is not here now, perhaps it will come later.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 10:46:22 am »

Awesome, love it, keep up the good work!  :D

P.S. Could you upload a map at some point please? I'm really curious to how it all looks. Also try to take more screenshots and put them in your posts please? I like visuals.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:58:37 am by Demonic Spoon »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 11:14:23 am »

13th of Sandstone:
One of Urist McUrist's gemstone windows has been assembled. Three more windows to go, five if we count the Dungeon master (But who counts such petty nobles anyway? His life is not forfeit merely because he is useful!)

One of our woodcutters appears to be in need of a kidney transplantation. Unfortunately, we have neither the money nor the time to send him back to the mountainhome surgeons. Someone proposed we replaced it with a goblin kidney. We took our weakest alcohol and showed him what happens to goblin kidneys when it comes into contact with alcohol.

24th of Sandstone:
Urist McUrist and Zieg's windows to the vault are finished. One is made of yellow jasper, the other of tanzanite. May they enjoy their view of wealth for all eternity! In their honor, I gave each two dogs, after overhearing one of the peasants saying that Zieg seemed to rather liked the dogs that trailed our animal trainer.

28th of Sandstone:
A sparring accident with one of the war hammers led to the death of one of our guards. Filthy peasants are completely incapable of using those hammers properly! However, more migrants are arriving just as sparring accidents are thinning out the ranks. How appropriate!

Professions kept:
Woodworker

People drafted into the fortress guard:
A blacksmith, two peasants, a miller, a cheese maker, a woodcrafter and a stonecrafter.

Hopefully the best of those will survive training. As for the others... Armok have their souls!

17th of Timber:
A guard has suffocated, his lungs smashed by a dwarven hammer. He was too weak to defend the fortress, clearly.

20th of Timber
Another guard has been struck down. I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of giving these guards weapons.

1st of Moonstone, 212:
A sasquatch struck down one of our hunters! At least we still have another hunter and there are not many creatures here to hunt, so it is a small loss, but a loss nonetheless.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:42:29 am by Lidhuin »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 11:51:25 am »

Enjoying this tale, you've got a nice writing style and I like the ways you add new players to the tale.  Feels very community to me :D

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

13th of Moonstone, 212, another thief attacks our fortress.

A tanner found himself a kobold and immediately did the first thing that came to his mind - which was to wrestle that... thing... to the ground. Unfortunately, the kobold had a dagger and stabbed the dwarf in his chest. He tried to deflect it with his left hand, but it went through his second finger and hit his kidney, lower spine, spleen. Any regular dwarf as inexperienced as this regular tanner would have given up at this point and died, but no, this dwarf did not even enrage! He promptly took the kobolds hand that held the knife and broke it. He then proceeded to break the other hand, before repaying the kobold his broken spine.

The other wrestlers in the fort didn't even make it out in time, while the tanner ripped out the kobold's liver and broke bone after bone.

The tanner is a simple man that never feels discouraged (His personality traits: He almost never feels discouraged + regular alcohol. Nothing else).

He has been given a new last name in recognition of his cool attitude and utter slaughter of the kobold, despite now having a wounded spine, kidney and spleen. Never more shall he have to haul again! For he has been raised to the ranks of those who follow Aisean! Go forth, McKoboldsbane!

Updates!

17th of moonstone: A hauler was possessed on this day. A petty thing of which I shall speak no more. A couple thieves tried to make their way through the barracks, but guards made quick work of them. A large sandy cavern has been designated for excavation, so that tower caps and underground shrubbery might grow.

We must remember why we are here! To smith coins for the glory of Kulet Nekut, the Abbey of Secrets!

18th of Moonstone: Curses! An ambush is upen us! Sound the alarm! A fisherdwarf was shot and killed announcing this to us. He shall be avenged.

One of our hammerdwarves sent a goblin flying into the mountain. The mountain consumed it, as its body splattered into a gory mess!

The two marks goblins who killed our fisherdwarf were flung over the brook and landed, dead, on the other side. Victory was ours with but one civilian casaulty. The other goblins died uneventful deaths.

21st of Moonstone: Another ambush! Defend the vaults! Send out the hammerdwarves!

22nd of Moonstone: Victory is ours yet again! The goblins are beaten, their forces broken and battered.

Meanwhile, the hauler has crafted a giant eagle bone buckler. ”The Machine of Flares.” He claims it'll help against incoming missiles, but everyone just looked at him like he was mad. We others all figured the name was because of the image of shining suns!

7th of Opal:
I believe the mayor was actually a weaver. He couldn't handle the pressure and has gone stark raving mad! He has blood all over his head, but he seems mostly harmless. Perhaps now, the rest of the fort will realize that only nobles can be mayors. Silly craftsmen and haulers!

We also have rope reed now, which was apparantly what drove the mayor mad. He keeps running around the fort shouting about rope reed and how hard it is to turn into cloth and ”Why won't anyone listen to me?”. This is the second time that plant has driven someone to madness. Should we truly continue to grow it in the depths of our fortress?

10th of Opal:
Another madness has taken place. One of our champions has given birth to her second child, another baby girl. She is now carrying around two baby girls, yet refuses to give up fighting. She will be assigned to her own squad, so as not to risk the lives of her offspring. It appears that her husband is in the guard. No wonder the clothes are lying all over the barracks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(If anyone wants to play a child/baby of a champion, there are two female spots available :P )

19th of Obsidian:
All peasant haulers have joined the cult of Seastar. Seastar, a female dwarf weaver, found the texts written by the late bookkeeper Stas. She now seeks to overthrow the queen in his stead and has mandated a room with a view of the vaults. A temple has been ordered built in the name of Midil, goddess of jealousy.

I still wonder whether Seastar will be an ally and what she will order her cultists to do, but for now, I, Fath McNoble, shall tolerate her presence.

Today, we mourn the loss of one of our dwarven fortress. Memorated on our platinum coins from 212 (our copper and platinum coins have different designs): The front has a masterfully carved image of travelling dwarves. The dwarves are weeping. The art relates to the abandoment of the settlement of cloisterglens by the whimsical portals of the Abbey of Secrets, in the early winter of 209. On the bank is a superior design of Urvad Bentink, the dwarf (former Queen or King).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:41:09 pm by Lidhuin »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »

Woo!  Does our rivalry resume?  He sounds like he's got more followers - but my sole one has the luck of fifty.  Much enjoyment :)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »

It would appear not, unfortunately. However, they do have different deities. I should have two temples built. One for the goddess of jealousy and one for the goddess of persuasian (Aisean's goddess).

I'll have to give Aisean some followers too! All haulers that weren't assigned to Seastar will be assigned to Aisean.

Alright. Aisean has ten followers and Seastar also has ten followers. Aisean could have eleven, but I do need at least one hauler/animal caretaker to be free!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:47:44 pm by Lidhuin »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:14 am »

The Servants of Aisean, producers of food and masters of persuasion, will build a temple of soap with a roof of fertile soil.

The Rebel Cultists, leaders of those who wish to keep the coin, will burn wood in great amounts, and use the coal to turn the local sand into glass, before building a green glass temple worthy of envy and jealousy.

(at least until someone tells me otherwise! damn the rules if I can have fun!)

2nd of Granite, 213, early spring:

The rebels grow in number, as one among them has given birth to a child.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04:22 am »

which one is Lumion in?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 [2] 3