Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: Ex Cathedra [BMIX]: Sunrise  (Read 96457 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia IX, Day 1: Two knights walk into a bar...
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2010, 05:26:06 am »

Votecount

Org [5] - SirBayer, spitfire684, Rolan7, HFS, quinnr
SirBayer [1] - JaaSwb
spitfire684 [1] - Halmie
Rolan7 [2] - Siquo, Org

Warning... long update.  I hope you guys like reading  ;D  I may also go back to clean this up a little in the morning, since I've been working on it for a couple hours and am not entirely sure of its quality/rhythm.

"You think an honest man is worth seeking out, Dakarian, because you haven't yet discovered that none exists," says Pandarsenic.  "Couldn't you see that from playing our game?"

"I think an honest man is worth seeking out, Pandarsenic, precisely because I haven't yet discovered that none exists," says Dakarian.  "Wasn't that obvious from the time we spent trapped?"

"I see," says Pandarsenic, grimacing.  "Such a pity that you have not yet found reason.

"And you, young Aureliusz Vektor?  What do you believe?  Are you a miserable optimist like Dakarian, here, or do you admit that the honest man is a myth?"

His hand slows in its mechanical cleaning of the counter's worn wood, and he remembers fragments of his life--his childhood, his youth, his early loves.  He remembers all these things like so many panels of a stained glass window, broken and reassembled into the picture called his past.  The temptations of dishonesty, when he chased a dark desire.  The temptations of brutal honesty, when he chased a bright ideal.

He remembers his youth in the freezing chills of Poland, when he saw driven snow and dark earth, and thought everything was so clean as to split into two sides--black and white, honest and dishonest, impure and pure.  He remembers his father's big leather boots and fur cap, and the ice that froze to his whiskers.  He remembers his father, who died of the coughing sickness, and how hard it was after--and how he missed and did not miss him.

His father left for market each morning, bushel of turnips in a basket on his back.  His big feet kicked little flurries of ice in the air, which sparkled in the sunlight moments before turning into dust on the hem of his coat.  The wake of his march left not clean cold white, but gray sodden footprints.

"Both of you are wrong because your question is bad," he says.  The knights watch him with cold gray eyes, but he continues.  "Honesty is worth turnips when you are unkind.  As for kind men--I do not know.  The most easy way to meet a kind man is to become one."

They sit there for a few moments, digesting those words.

"Go back to your stories of starving peasants and nose-crushing Lithuanian Princesses," says Dakarian at last.  "It's clear we'll learn nothing from you."

"Go back to your cat-eating and bartending," says Pandarsenic at last.  "It's clear that you are incapable of understanding the question."

"Go back to your story," says Aureliusz Vektor, "before I throw you out in the cold."

"Miserable wretch!" says Pandarsenic, standing and putting a hand to the hilt of his sword.  "Can't you see we can kill you where you stand?"

"Devilish man!" says Dakarian, standing and pulling Pandarsenic's hand away.  "Can't you let any opportunity for a bloodbath pass?"

"Yes, I can see," says Vektor after a time.  "I am simple, if not honest.  You came here to drink and be warm.  Your words must not let the cold air in.

"Now pay your fee and tell your story."

Pandarsenic remains standing for a moment, then says: "You are clearly too stupid to understand the peril under which you make your demands, feeble as you are."

"He is clearly too brave to stand aside, feeble as he is," says Dakarian.  "Can we not reward a brave man, no matter how naïve?  Pandarsenic, continue the tale."

Pandarsenic sits.  Dakarian sits.  Both are sullen.  They peer with disgruntled eyes and hopeful faces into their empty tankards and Vektor, frightened despite his words, refills the vessels.

"So," he says to break the weighty silence, "those men were not honest."

"No.  No, they were not," says Pandarsenic.  He gulps his ale furiously.

"They said they were honest, with fire in their eyes," says Dakarian.  "But that is not enough."

"They said they were honest, which was obviously lies," mutters Pandarsenic.  "But enough of this!  They were all liars, as I have said time and time again."

"He says this with such conviction because he is lying," says Dakarian.  "I am sure most of them told the truth most of the time--even those villains which Pandarsenic charmed.  It is hard to find an honest man, but not so difficult to find a good one."

"He says this with such conviction because he is lying," says Pandarsenic.  "Those good men converged on a man, snarling like beasts.  They tore at him, shook him, searched his body for strange marks.  They clawed his face and beat him to the ground."

"Those good men converged on a man, questioning like schoolmasters.  They asked who he was, and why he acted as he did.  They shared their memories of him and mentioned his future.  They thought carefully and wondered if he might be one of the villains they sought."

"Just as I said a moment ago!" says Pandarsenic.  "They shredded his dignity and left his soul bare."

"He was a strong man," says Dakarian.  "Through leathery lips, he said simply this: 'I am Org the Leper.  I am as you see me--nothing less, and nothing more.  I have suffered.  I am sick.  I am dusty decay and innocence.  In my death you will find nothing but sorrow.'

Whether they learned from this or not, I do not know.  They did not believe him."

"And was he so sickened?" asks Vektor.  "The mother of the wife of the village idiot of my hometown fell to pieces like a rotten vege--"

"Why can't you understand this?" asks Pandarsenic.  "He was just another man, dishonest like any other.  Good or bad, healthy or sick, it matters not.  They were all weak, with no differences between them."

"Can you tell a man who wears bandages on his heart from one who wears them on his face--and might not they be the same?" asks Dakarian.  "He was swathed in white linen from head to toe, but no one knew what appeared underneath."

"Not at first," says Pandarsenic.  "But death explains everything."

Just to let everyone know: the story goes along with whatever you claim, not necessarily what you are.  Don't try to abuse the system.

This is my third mafia, and the I've ever seen where the flavor roles didn't reveal the functional roles.  Plus, they kinda sorta do maybe, see Vector's post.

Kinda sorta do maybe is right.  Just think of it as "Vector said screw you to everyone who is good at finding patterns, but patterns are inevitable," and continue that way.  I like to think that I obfuscated things enough that the WIFOM completely ruins any chance you have at actually figuring out what's going on from flavor, but that's just a generalized hope.

Don't break my game.  It will piss me off.

General apologies to Douglas Hofstader for all flavortext ever, as well as the producers of House MD in this particular instance.  I'll include the first person with whom I had the "searching for an honest man" conversation in that list.  I swear to you that I'm not as honest as you thought I was.

Oh, and by the way--yes, this ends the "honesty" segment, thank God.  I'll think up something else to cover Day 2.  Probably personal responsibility, or something  ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2010, 06:07:23 am »

How am I confusing?
TOWN IS CONFUSING. Do you play with Toony as town? He makes me want to punch babies sometimes.

You're one to talk.

--

Vektor: Win flavor is win.

--

Town: You should be certain you think Org (or whomever you turn to) is scum before lynching. If you want more time, you can ask the host for an extension.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2010, 06:11:01 am »

So, to sum it up for the newbie townies that are morons, all who are voting for me are going by Sirbayer. Sirbayer is not the greatest player. I am not wither, but I know that I am better than some of you. Such as this: I usually do not jump on lynches. Or sometimes I dont care enough not to. You see, its scummy. I try not to do scummy things, even as scum, as looking like scum is not good, however, by bandwagoning, all of you are scummy. Especially Sir Bayer, for starting it. bad town/scum is bad.

Everyone unvote. You see, all of you have no reasons, will not unvote, and will most likely lurk UNTIL I AM LYNCHED. Especially Sir Bayer, Spitfire, and everyone who is still lurking.

IC, need help, so help.
Sorry, but when you dig your own grave, THEN PROCEED TO MAKE IT 6ft DEEPER, I can't really do much. Lurking is anti-town. And they do have reasons, even if they aren't clear to you (I can see where they're coming from). So do something to make them BELIEVE you're town-GET OUT THERE AND LYNCH SOME SCUM.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2010, 07:42:14 am »

What is meta usage, and how did/would you apply it to Org, ExKirby?

Unvote
Rolan7, you only appear when challenged, and then disappear in the background again... We need to be hunting, not lurking. What's your 'excuse'?

Org, you ARE being suspicious. Still.
Org was one of the first ones I suspected and attacked, and his status in my book has still not improved. However, I'm not convinced yet.

Rolan7, however, apparently reads every post meticulously, except mine. Or are you too high above us in knowledge (aka Scum) to bow down to our level and answer a simple question?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

spitfire684

• Bay Watcher
  • I pity the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09:44 am »

Lots has happened while I was gone, so I only managed to skim-read most of it.
Rolan7 had over reacted majorly when he was voted, not as much as Org but it was still a reaction. If people voted for him then he would know he was at no risk of death, what might be something to consider is that it was when Org decided to vote for him. You think that might be telling us something?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice, I'm guilty of answering Org, and not answering siquo.  That's fair?
But this is silly.  I made a case against Org *before* he voted me.  That he voted me back hardly matters.  It indicates he's desperate, but that's better indicated by all the shouting and hastily constructed demands.

If he was town, he would follow the IC's advice and continue to scumhunt.  On his death he would be proven town, and his words would become respected.  Instead he's demanding we remove our votes, why's that?  Because we'll know he was lying scum if he dies.

Your vote's already on me Siquo, no need to vote a second time.
Your accusation is absurd. 
Speaking of things bad for town, siquo, stop discussing your post with HFS and post something.
You only started posting after this.  Org, too, has constantly pointed out your lurkiness.
Haha, you even accused Org of being too active!  How do you reconcile that with calling me lurky now?

As I write a post, I go back and read the thread for reference.  This often changes my mind about things.

I only see one good reason you would continue to press such an absurd attack.  You know Org is town, and you're setting me up to be the second town lynched.  That's why, though you're oh-so-suspicious of him, you're not "convinced".

Unvote

I support a nolynch this round.  I don't know which of Org and Siquo are scum.

And spitfire?  Please provide one example of me reacting majorly to being voted.  My attack against Org started before he voted me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:01 am »

Nolynches on Day1 are BAAAAAD.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2010, 11:18:54 am »

Yeah I thought so too but Dak and/or Vector seemed so eager for it that I'd try it.  I'm truly sorry I don't have time to find a quote right now, maybe I'm mistaken.  I'll certainly be back before 9 tonight to consider voting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

yes, no lynches are bad. Passive town is not a good town.

So, you see what we have. A lurking town, full of idiots who wont answer what I have posted before you. I have crushed your reasons, and you still lurk and wont unvote. However, I might as well try finding scum; if I die, it wasnt me to blame.

Rolan7. Let me see here. Voted me without reasoning, calls my OMGUS desperate when I have more reasons than he does. Shouting? Yes, maybe. I do it when I think town is too moronic when falling for scum like you. Hastily constructed commands? I think my post which CRUSHED everyone's reasoning is my largest post. You arent scumhunting. Maybe you should practice what you preach. No. I am town. While Siquo has been in the back of my mind for the game as a passive idiot and is trying to buddy with me by not voting me even though I am suspicious? Siquo is scum.
Although Rolan7 is too. Or an idiot. Well, an unvote is an unvote.
But now you are finally in a trap. You think I am scum soooooooo much you bandwagon an easy mislynch. I OMGUS you for better reasons, and you still think I am scum after I find faults within yours. So, I do believe Siquo is the one though. Not for lurkiness(or I would be going after the idiots still voting me), but for passiveness and buddying(meh to the buddying. It kinda is, as he says"OH I THINK ORG IS SCUMMISH BUT NOT VOTE FOR HIM, VOTE FOR SOMEONE ELSE".)

Siquo

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:23 am »

Yeah I thought so too but Dak and/or Vector seemed so eager for it that I'd try it.  I'm truly sorry I don't have time to find a quote right now, maybe I'm mistaken.  I'll certainly be back before 9 tonight to consider voting.

... Vector has never condoned a no-lynch D1.  Vector has not, in fact, said the word "no-lynch" once this game.

Damn, now that statement is false.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2010, 11:24:25 am »

Org, I was mainly voting you because you didn't just tell us that at first, you simply said
Buhm buhm buhm

Okay, Meh. Not what I wanted.

Unvote HFS
The excuse that is was for pressure didn't come until after more accusations were put on you.

Also to note:
you also seemed very happy to be jumping on a bandwagon:
i am not scum, but Rolan probably is.

Oh, I wont jump on the bandwagon....fuck that, jump!
Quinnr. I headdesked hard.

I will explain this once. I am very pissed. I. WAS. TALKING. ABOUT. ROLAN.
GOD DAMN. Seriously? I am not even on a bandwagon!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2010, 11:30:41 am »

Okay, we have 10 hours left or so.
Hopefully.
I am not sure what time Vektor is going by.

Unvote Rolan
Vote Siquo
is what is should be.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:39 am »

Midnight, board time.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2010, 11:40:00 am »

It says 9 in the OP.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2010, 11:45:36 am »

It says 9 in the OP.

Are you blind?  It obviously says midnight.

In other news, Vector is no longer allowed to make decisions or post when she's tired.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44