Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong here?  (Read 519 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What am I doing wrong here?
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:46:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The most I ever got out of it was 1400 power (it requires 1839 to turn) during the initial filling, and that was for maybe a second; it fluctuates between 0 and 400 but never goes anywhere above that, except for a brief spike of around 1000 when I first pulled the plug on the lowest Z-level after the place filled up and it became clear that even with the pumps going it wasn't going to flow enough to get the wheels turning.

My other, much, much smaller-scale perpetual motion device, works fine, and I saw a device not long ago (it was that awesome magma-from-the-ceiling trap someone posted) that looked similar (except it was connected directly to a brook).

So, what gives? How much of this am I going to have to tear down and rebuild to get it working like it's supposed to?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:54:41 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong here?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:46:50 pm »

Broken pics are broken.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

So I'm noticing. Why does imageshack suck so much? Why?

Grr gimme a minute.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:11 pm »

I've haven't had trouble with them.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:24 pm »

Neither had I until just now. Photobucket on the other hand works fine and always has, so they'll suffice.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »

I've tried something of a similar idea, and found that it didn't work either, despite a few variations on the theme. All I can conclude is that water doesn't flow well over the level, it's too viscous.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 05:21:46 pm »

Pics work fine for me now.

I can't say why the perpetual motion machine doesn't work.  The design looks fine.  There is some weirdness about how and when DF decides water counts as moving.

My advice, make a controllable drain at the part of the device where the pumps take water from.  Allow water to flow through the device for a moment, from the fill pumps to the outflow.  Once water is definitely flowing through the device shut off the inlet and the outlet at the same time.  Hopefully that will allow you to force the water to stay in the flowing state.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.