Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Last stands of epic Perportion  (Read 4318 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last stands of epic Perportion
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

Basically this is a thread where you can give a synopsis of your most impressive last stands against the hordes of darkness.
My one is on Dig Deeper, where my initial seven where seiged by orcs 4 times in a row, with nothing more then a axe and a bone crossbow with bone bolts to defend the fortress.  My miner got mangled, and spent 2 years in bed during many battles, nearly starving and dieing of dehydration during seiges while the water was inaccessible, my herbalist got run down by a group of orcs, before taking out 3 single handed, with no weapons (don't ask me how, cause I have no clue myself). My crossbowman/planter got shot through a fortification by an elite marksorc, and by the second seige all that was left was my woodcutter, another planter, and the mangeled (now only broken) miner. The planter grabbed the last crossbow, took down 35 orcs (so far) and the woodcutter cut a path through about 20.  They both still live, but I can't see it lasting longer, since all caravans have been killed by the orcs and I'm at war with the humans now too.
Nom nom nom

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Last stands of epic Perportion
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:48:52 pm »

I had a recent 'last-stand' sort of scenario, but it was really for a single dwarf. You see, there were two ambushes following my woodcutter around (who had dabbling wrestler and axedwarf from the macaques, kobolds and one fire imp he'd killed) the entire map. One of the squads got bored and left, but the other, which had two axe-goblins, three wrestlers and a Hammerlord (who was a local leader!), finally cornered him. The dwarf knew that he couldn't run any further.

After courageously standing up against ALL of those at ONCE, he had managed to fell all three of the wrestlers, break one of the axe-goblins' legs and he had lightly wounded the hammer lord, who was clad in only the best armour, before finally dying. Unfortunately, the Hammer lord decided that if a dabbling axe-dwarf could do that to his guys, he didn't care to stick around and see what the trained military was like. He fled before my super-speedy Perfectly Agile+ Mayor/Captain of the Guard/Hammerdwarf could reach him, much to my dismay.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

you get some epic stands in world gen,its sad that elves stop attacking with such numbers.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last stands of epic Proportion
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:08:29 pm »

Well, this was the last moment of Hammertoe, a coastal fort of mine a year or so back. I took the [SKULKING] tags off Kobolds and also gave them [NOFEAR] so they decided to siege me with about 75 guys in spring of year 3 or something. The soldier in the bed to the lower left was injured in a previous smaller siege of 20 or so. The kobolds don't know he is here so they literally milled about the hallways fornicating until that dwarf starved to death.

quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »

Noble Digger: I would say this is migty good looking fort. And I like how floor/walls are just about to be painted crimson red.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:37:07 pm »

There was blood indeed. I uploaded some old screenshots of the fort to DFMA: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8037-hammertoe
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »

I was playin vanilla DF when i wound up with a series of events I dubbed "the not-siege"

essentially, it was a massive, nearly unbroken string of thieves, ambushes, & kidnappers that cost me about half my fort's military. The military numbered about 40, and was made up of everyone whod did not have an immediate contribution to the fort's survival.

anyways, we wound up with a massive string of ambushes. The wrestlers would obliterate one ambush, only to have another appear where they were standing. eventually the military was drawn into the depths of the carp breeding grounds, and were wiped out in a battle that strongly resembled a fight between Aliens (carp), Predators (gobbos), and Marines(Colonel Hackflesh and Co) .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:59:42 pm by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:43:18 pm »

Something that happened in 2008. A brain-retarded macedwarf who held up up a horde of "Megagoblins" (I modded gobbos to be much stronger) all alone. I posted this on another forum:

An epic battle. My most epic, ever to happen. Goblins came with 5 squads. There is a bottleneck, between my wall and a lake near my entrance, and my melee warriors attacked the huge masses of goblins at that location. If they got past, they would very likely reach the insides of the fort (I had less traps than usual).

But then for some reason everyone of my soldiers retreated like chickens. Except for one. A brain-retarded macedwarf was still battling the horde of goblins, and was raping them. Alone.

Look at that macedwarf. He killed pretty much most of the ones you see piled up there at the bottleneck plus some on the way to the edge of the map, he chased them down. This pic is after the fight, the rest of the warriors came back from their cowardly hiding.

Battle of Thermopylae, Dwarven edition.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:45:03 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:40 pm »

First year, the fire imps escaped and caused 6/7 dwarfs to die.  The survivor build his fort next to the now empty pipe.  However, I wasn't aware that my civilization was at war with the elfs.  The following year a group of migrants arrived.

Then they were ambushed.  The survivors got past a bride, raised it and sat tight.  However all the food was on the other side of the bridge still, outside the fortress.  There was only one thing to do.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-862-magmabridgebattle

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »

man that was a bitch move, flinging alll the elves into the magma from the bridge, was only epic up until then.
Nom nom nom

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

man that was a bitch move, flinging alll the elves into the magma from the bridge, was only epic at that very moment.

Fixed.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:17 am »

I once had a fort set up in a mountain, the entrance was 3 tiles thick and plenty long, leading to a downward ramp to the depot room. Behind that down ramp, was a ballista room. Above the ballista room, was an archers nest, and in the long tunnel was a bunch of traps. I enjoyed that fort because of all the pain and horror I would unleash upon the many many vile forces of darkness that liked to attack me each year.

I was invulnerable... until I found HFS.

I was lucky and got a relatively weak HFS, my military was decimated either way though due to my lack of melee dwarves, and in the end; civilians wound up killing all the monsters, leaving maybe 20 people. It was a long, loooong drawn out battle, but everything turned out fi- Somebody going berzerk you say? I don't have a wrestler though... THE CARAVAN!!!

Of course, I had sealed the exit so thieves couldn't bother me while I had monsters on screen, and a caravan was inside and trapped the whole time.

In the end, the one deranged wrestler rampaged all over my dwarf and demon corpse filled, miasma plagued fort, playing keep-away with the children before suplexing their brains out all over the walls, murdering everybody with brutal efficiency before returning to my epic dining hall, and standing there; trapped, the miasma blowing around him in this perfect scene; never obstructing view of him, only around the walls. He alone would now rule the tomb that was my fortress. It was a perfect ending.

There was a few noteworthy kills; one where he grabbed a child, ran to the nearest wall, and killed him instantly with blood spraying all over the place... One where my brewer ran up to try and stop him, but was instantly repelled from him with enough force to fly clear across the room and die on contact with the wall, and then this one guy who tried to protect the children was given a one two punch; he ran up, backed up one step, the wrestler stepped up to him and knocked him back one more step, he vomited and then got his head beaten in by the 3rd attack... it was just a joy to behold, and ended with such an epic scene of him standing over the carnage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:03:01 am by yuriatayde »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »

man that was a bitch move, flinging alll the elves into the magma from the bridge, was only epic at that very moment.

Fixed.

Agreed. However,  Man of the Match has to be that elf that gets flung to the South, and had to escape through the fortress.

MastaODisasta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

So here's the story.  My fort, Faithfulaxe, had collapsed in an orgy of violence and destruction, with the only remaining sane dwarf being my champion sworddwarf.  Sure enough, a goblin ambush appeared, a squad of marksgoblins.  I figured that their bolts would easily take out my remain soldier.  How wrong I was.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-592-laststand
This is a signature.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:34 am »

Wow man he dodged like 50 bolts with out and injuries hahaha look at the goblins run in fear!
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: [1] 2 3