Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] <-- Never remove it.  (Read 7359 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] <-- Never remove it.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »

Abortions are already possible, sort of.  A pregnant female dwarf can be induced to miscarry by the right amount of trauma.  How much trauma is required is unknown;  research will be required to determine how to reliably induce miscarriage.  The fact that it is currently impossible to determine if a female dwarf is pregnant will complicate this.

Now someone needs to research this.

For Science!

SCIENCE!!!!!!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Sean0931

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

Oh God, it's like the mermaids all over again.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »

The mermaids thing was awesome. I was but a lurker back then, but the laughs would not stop. Then I tried it. it worked. Yay for unethical experiments on mermaids!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »

Take a just married female dwarf as a test subject. Start with water drinking. Move to vermin she hates, then miasma, then just stab her with spikes. Only do one test a season, as you don't want the trauma to stack. If necessary, use a new test subject.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:05 pm »

Take a just married female dwarf as a test subject. Start with water drinking. Move to vermin she hates, then miasma, then just stab her with spikes. Only do one test a season, as you don't want the trauma to stack. If necessary, use a new test subject.

after one of each a season has been tested, move on to two, then three, and so on until she has a miscarriage.

make sure to take note of her personality, as a dwarf who makes friends easily would probably be less stress-vulnerable than one who is anti-social. you'd need to run tests on each type of personality, and also  test on friends count.

for example, two groups of females, one is allowed to socialize, and the other is locked up in cells with food dropped to them periodically. which would be easier to stress out?

a nother solution for the second group would be to build an isolated "fortress" and leave them alone in it once thier married. make it have several "stress rooms" each with something in it(bugs, miasma, open roof and dirt floor) in which to put her over time. build the same thing for the social females, but let them out to see how much socializing will counteract the stress.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »

Make sure she doesn't have any real job.  Women who spend all day in a workshop don't seem to get pregnant very reliably at all.  (I guess a dwarf who spends all day either pounding out stonecrafts on repeat, or taking a quick break to down an entire barrel of booze, only to come home to a room barren except for a bed at a time when her husband isn't home is just too tired for making children.) 

If you make sure that both husband and wife are in the Royal Guard or some such, they should get plenty of simultanious downtime for the marriage spores to work their magic.  (Although women set to nothing but hauling seem to have plenty of children in my game, as well.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:50 pm »

You could have all of the female dwarves get into your miscarriage machine every two seasons. If they're pregnant, now they aren't. if they weren't... oh well.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:41 pm »

Make sure she doesn't have any real job.  Women who spend all day in a workshop don't seem to get pregnant very reliably at all.  (I guess a dwarf who spends all day either pounding out stonecrafts on repeat, or taking a quick break to down an entire barrel of booze, only to come home to a room barren except for a bed at a time when her husband isn't home is just too tired for making children.) 

If you make sure that both husband and wife are in the Royal Guard or some such, they should get plenty of simultanious downtime for the marriage spores to work their magic.  (Although women set to nothing but hauling seem to have plenty of children in my game, as well.)

It would probably be better to make them just regular soldiers, or at least the wife. works just as well as royal guard, plus you have more control over what they do than in the semi-autonomus royal guard.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:37 am »

I think this is cool! Defs get rid of it.

Hillbilly inbreading fortress actually becomes viable!
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:45 am »

I didn't see anybody mention the z-level drop. Make a room with nothing but hatch covers on the floor linked to a lever, have her pull the lever for science.

Or, recruit her as her own squad, and have her wrestle captured goblins frequently (they'd be stripped of weapons of course)

I dunno if miasma or insects are going to be enough for this to happen really... starvation, action, and injury on the other hand. =3

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »

Perhaps being thrown by a drawbridge? it seems less risky than spikes, and just as reliable.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 03:38:03 pm »

[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

do you remove the rare part or just the whole thing?

Im doing it for the goblins for epic battles which will make me laugh maniacly.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

Better yet, just wait until the next release and pit pregnant dwarves against each other in Arena mode.

For science. And wagering.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 04:33:47 pm »

Will castration, condoms and abortions be added at some point?

Urist McStoneworker has completed Boilingbridges, a green glass condom!

It menaces with spikes of glass and cat bones.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:30 pm »

To test what gives miscarriages should be easy:

1)  Get a stable dwarven population of married females.
2)  Set up a control group as well as other 'groups'.  For instance, control, blunt damage, piercing damage, gore damage, water only, beer only, miasma, 'fright', etc.
3)  Record the number of times the married female gets pregnant over a span of *insert number* years.

You should, eventually, get a list of numbers that help indicate if something hinders marriage or not. 

Get the spikes ready!  We gonna poke a mama!
Pages: 1 [2] 3