Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fun things to do with caged goblins?  (Read 10247 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Fun things to do with caged goblins?
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:35:10 am »

I need ideas.I have no magma and water in my map is risky.I would also prefer something that doesn't require to much time to set up.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do with caged goblins?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:42:50 am »

Throw them into your cat pit. If you don't have a cat pit then shame on you.

Or, epic arena battles that as a bonus will increase your dwarves skills if they fight as well or get rid of your animal population.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:52:56 am »

Throw them into your cat pit. If you don't have a cat pit then shame on you.

Or, epic arena battles that as a bonus will increase your dwarves skills if they fight as well or get rid of your animal population.
Doomy mandates item in fortress
Cat Pit 1/1
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:56:31 am »

Recreational naked goblin hunting.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:00:44 am »

You could build them a shanty town and let them live out their lives in peace.

The sort of peace you get between the hordes of kittens being thrown down at you through the roof.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:41:26 am »

About pits.Is it safe to throw goblins in them when the goblins are in cages?I had too many goblins escape when I was trying to move them in cages...

Edit:Also I don't have a cat pit because I genocide all my cats.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:40 am »

The trick to throwing dangerous creatures into a pit is to build their cage directly adjacent to the pit. This way the dwarf will pull the creature out and throw it in before noticing that it has claws, teeth and weapons - and thus dropping it and fleeing.

Caution. if there's a creature in your pit the dwarf might be spooked by it while fiddling with the cage and run away in horror - as the cage remains open and the prisoner escapes.

edit: the best way to avoid dwarf being spooked is to make the pit entrance 1x1 and put a hatch over it. the dwarves can't see whats down there and don't really care. they just open the cage, open the hatch and fling the prisoner down before walking off to have a beer.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:55:41 am »

thanks.Now my arenas will need less time to set up :P

I remembered,while my fort doesn't have a cat pit,it does have a carp moat.I think I can connect it to an underground room and use floodgates so it would reach 3/7 for extra fun.Sadly I already executed my prisoners via arena.Well I guess I'll just have to wait for the next attack.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:18:20 am »

I sometimes use prisoners to punish my dwarves.

Let me elaborate. During battle a squad leader decided to take a nap and let his subordinates fight an impossible battle. He was a champion in charge of those recruits.
At another time a dwarf who wasn't even slightly wounded fled the field.

Both of these cases resulted in me stripping the dwarf of any weapon and armor and put him in a room where I released a goblin prisoner. The idea is to prove his worth in a fight. If he loses, the goblin is allowed to make a run for it.

Captured leaders go into the zoo. It's just the best way to humiliate them and some dwarves like their terrifying features ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:26:05 am »

I'm reasonably certain this makes me a bad person, but, oh, to hell HFS with it.

This design presumes a power-producing structure on the Z0 to connect to the left-hand gear assembly on Z-1. Mine's a perpetual motion machine, but lots of windmills would work too. The point is, the more power the better- It's not unreasonable to assume that the more surplus power you have, the faster any components on the "end" of a chain will spin.

Code: [Select]

Z-1
╔═════╗
║Xó+++┼  <- lever linked to the adjacent gear
║¢☼==☼║ <- hatch over the ramp to Z-2
╚═════╝
  ^  ^ and out here (through a channel in the floor)
  ∟ Power goes in here

Z-2
██╔═╦╦╦╗
╔═╝╫╠╩╬╣ <- surrounding walls made of copper blocks
║▲+╫║☼╠╣ <- magnetite gear assembly over copper block floor
╚═╗╫╠╦╬╣
██╚═╩╩╩╝

Z-3
╔═╦╦╦═╗
║ó╠╩╣+║ <- noble-summoning lever, copper block wall (directly under gear assembly on z-2) insulated by rock walls
║╥▒╫▒ó║ <- lever linked to copper grate (initially lowered)
║╥▒§▒ó║ <- lever linked to copper chain
║╥▒┼▒ó║ <- lever linked to door
║+┼^┼ó║ <- cage trap, lever linked to doors
╚══┼══╝

Operator comes in, noble is summoned, operator pulls lowermost lever to seal both nobles and self inside their respective chambers, then pulls the next lever up to open the execution chamber. Dorf brings goblin and then GTFOs, chamber is sealed again. Dorf pulls lever to raise grate and complete circuit. Bzzt. If goblin survives, door is opened and chain released so goblin blunders into cage trap.

Okay I admit this was a dry run for the massive generator I'm incorporating into my railgun. But why not have a little fun with the gobbos while I'm at it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:42:19 am by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:57 am »

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:23:43 am »

I modded in a trapcomponent that has [IS_SPIKE], but does 5 gore damage.  Put one in a 1x1 room with glass walls, attach to lever, and you've got a torture entertainment chamber.  If the component is made of wood or glass, it usually takes 10-20 lashes to kill.  Fewer if a lucky hit tears out the throat.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:32:03 am »

Wish you could generate power with goblin hamster wheels.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:39 am »

railgun

Holy shit.

I will be providing pics, of course, because otherwise it didn't happen.

(It's important to note that much like the dwarven nuclear reactor, it will be a pretty mock-up but will not actually work, because electricity isn't implemented...)

I modded in a trapcomponent that has [IS_SPIKE], but does 5 gore damage.  Put one in a 1x1 room with glass walls, attach to lever, and you've got a torture entertainment chamber.  If the component is made of wood or glass, it usually takes 10-20 lashes to kill.  Fewer if a lucky hit tears out the throat.

Well, it's good to know that if indeed I am in fact hellbound, I won't be going alone. You are a genius.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 01:35:24 pm »

Wish you could generate power with goblin hamster wheels.

DANCE MONKEYS DANCE
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3