Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh for the love of-  (Read 3446 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh for the love of-
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Ah, see, here I thought you meant use DC to force a mood on a dorf, then cause him to require only bones, and then forbid all bones but the cat's. Hence my scepticism. Still, though, no matter how you slice it, the kitty's bones are still at the bottom of the well...

Since you brought that cat on embark and it adopted one of your dwarves, it's likely you just ran into this bug:

000132 □ [dwarf mode][pets]   cats aren't buried and that makes the adoptee sad

Cats that arrive with immigrants get buried properly.

I'm not at all sure I did bring him on embark, he's just been around as long as I can remember =/ The engraver in question likes cats for their aloofness, so it may have been an on-site adoption (although I didn't know dwarves named their pets upon adoption).
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 10:25:19 pm »

All pets gain names when they are adopted by dwarves, and cats are no exception (although the adoption occurs in the opposite direction in their case). Technically, it doesn't matter whether the cat was brought on embark or raised from a newborn kitten - if it adopted its owner rather than arriving as a migrant's pet, it won't get buried.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

That is sad. I guess I'll have to settle for dumping the bones atop the coffin =( Oh well.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 03:23:35 am »

Haven't had this problem, but some of my war dogs, who died of old age, were left to rot in the refuse pile, rather than buried in the coffins which had pet burial enabled. Annoying, especially since they can't be butchered.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 03:34:58 am »

I don't think war dogs are counted as pets. Much in the same sense that stray animals don't get assigned to a coffin.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 03:43:16 am »

I think the only way you can truly do honor to the cat is to eat his meat, make his hide into crafts, and use his bones to strike down numerous goblins.

None of this "burial" stuff. If that cat had been a cat of the dwarfs, it would be honored to be used.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:53 am »

Unrelated note:

Cats will only adopt a dwarf they hang around and see. They might reproduce by spores (which I doubt tbh) but they can't adopt through them. Throw cats in a locked room and no matter how many they breed into they won't ever adopt one of your dwarves.

Usefulness of this is pretty much zero. Unless you want to match up a child with a pet for his safety. Chain an animal he likes in his room and then lock 'em in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:04 am »

I think the only way you can truly do honor to the cat is to eat his meat, make his hide into crafts, and use his bones to strike down numerous goblins.

None of this "burial" stuff. If that cat had been a cat of the dwarfs, it would be honored to be used.

Pfft. Clearly you do not own cats IRL. ;)

Cat stuff

Mmyeah, I have everything that isn't a pet in a cage of some description. I hit the animal cap a while ago, and all my dorfs are ecstatic constantly... I'd have started butchering kittens a long time ago, but I ph33r the crap out of cuddly-wuddly syndrome. Be just my luck to move the cage next to the butcher's shop and then have the fucker adopt someone. Unless I lock the doors and ensure the butcher's got animal hauling on... Hmmm. (After all dorfs can only be adopted once right?)

Also, regarding your spoilers,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »

I say you must mod in the ability to make animal traps out of cat bones,
then turn all awesome cats into animal traps, and help them catch vermin in the afterlife.

- Edit -

In all reality, a dead cat converted into an animal cage is more useful than a living cat, trapped vermin are good dwarf food :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:31:32 pm by ronnyfire »

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »

@ rat

a dorf can be adopted by any cat, even if he has been adopted before. i had a smaller fortress with a dorf who had more than 20 cats as pets. . . . .

i assigned a few war dogs and made him a woodcutter. it worked well.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:28 pm »

I don't think war dogs are counted as pets. Much in the same sense that stray animals don't get assigned to a coffin.

I've seen stray animals get put in a coffin. I'm not sure what exactly the trigger is, but I had a cougar up for adoption for a long time until it died of old age, and it got put in a coffin.
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 07:12:29 pm »

I've seen stray animals get put in a coffin. I'm not sure what exactly the trigger is, but I had a cougar up for adoption for a long time until it died of old age, and it got put in a coffin.
Maybe that's what determines it?  If the animal was up for adoption and a dwarf adopted it?  Because I've had a room full of pet-only coffins available, and an assigned war dog was thrown into the refuse pile while two Stray Cougars (who I think were up for adoption but not adopted) were put into coffins.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 01:44:39 am »

They threw a dead/decaying cat in the well? In real life, that would be a wonderfull tactic to kill a fortress. now I know why dwarves prefer to drink alcohol...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 12:46:20 am »

Surely the most DWARVEN way to honor a dead cat is to make an Artifact out of his bones and skull. Maybe a Cat-Bone WarHammer.

No. Obviously the most DWARVEN way to honor a dead cat is to throw him in your drinking water and then give it to your injured pals.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 01:26:52 am »

Dwarves will default to any refuse pile that involves dumping over a ledge. I think they have a contest to see who can throw a rock the furthest. The current record is one square. It's kind of like the special olympics...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2]