Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: D&D 3.5: Mael's Standard (Virtual Tabletop, psuedo-closed)  (Read 4628 times)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D&D 3.5: Mael's Standard (Virtual Tabletop, psuedo-closed)
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

Mael's Standard

The Story
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The World, The Adventure

Character Creation:

Level 1- Note to players, at level 1 you are a nobody.  You haven't been on adventures, you aren't a hero, you aren't famous (you could be, but your not), and you aren't well traveled (you might have come from a city like Cree, far from Erlen's Rest, but that does not mean you did little more than look around as you went along your way, watching as the world passed you by and your bottom getting sore from sitting in a saddle or bouncing on a wagon seat.)

Starting Stats- Choose either set of scores:
     18-14-12-12-10-10 *OR* 16-16-14-10-10-10 *OR* 14-14-14-12-12-10

Standard Starting Gold- You don't roll, just take the average number they give you. 

Communal Gear- One of you can be the son/daughter of a 'rich' local merchant (rich means he has a comfortable life style, he is only rich by the standards of the rest of the village).  Even if no one is related to this merchant, there is one who is interested in funding the party a little, "for the cause", and so he will be giving you some adventuring gear.  You may make a note when you post your character sheet/idea as to what you would like to be in the goody-basket (be realilistic, you are not getting magical gear).  After characters are created I will post what the merchant gives.  If people are saving up loads of gold in hopes that the merchant will bestow heaps of riches on you...think again.

Books- I have the pdfs of most books, so just ask, but try to keep it relatively simple, and any class outside the PhB ask me. 

Other Creation Stuff- I am sure I forgot something so ask me questions.  I am using AIM so feel free to message me there: dndzplz

The Gods and their Orders:

The world of Humanity has five Gods, and an Order dedicate to each God.  Think of these Orders as the Orders from the Crusades.  Full of zealots and crusaders and do-good-ers?  Sure.  Full of people with ulterior motives?  Yup.  What you want to play is up to you, but most of humanity follows one of these God's, and therefore are part of the Orders, though because you are part of an Order does not make you a Templar (an appointed warrior for the God of that Order). 

The Five, as they sometimes are called, hold simple beliefs.  They believe in the protection of humanity (humans, halflings, half-elves, and half-orcs...though the elfish and orcish blood they rather purge away, but what ever) and the spread of their race.  The Five created humanity many ages ago, and from their creation they warred with the ancient elven races, and thus this makes the elves their mortal foes, though in recent years the plague of the Stone Tribes (goblins and orcs and others) have become the true bane of humanity.  The Stone Tribes come from the Darkness, where Dark Gods are said to dwell.

The Order of Mael-
Mael, the God of Justice
The Father
The Order: 
Domains:  Law and Strength
Weapon:  Greatsword
Alignment:  LN

The Order of Isiel-
Isiel, the Goddess of Protection
The Mother
The Order: 
Domains:  Protection and Good
Weapon:  Longsword
Alignment: NG

The Order of Fury-
Fury, the God of Faith
The Faithful
The Order: 
Domains:  Fire and Chaos
Weapon:  Heavy Flail
Alignment: CN

The Order of Borem-
Borem, the God of Magic
The Seeker
The Order:
Domains:  Magic and Knowledge
Weapon:  Quarterstaff
Alignment: LN

The Order of Laylanna-
Laylanna, the Goddess of the Wilds
The Shifter 
The Order:
Domains:  Travel and Animal.
Weapon:  Dagger
Alignment:  LN

My Thoughts:
Alright, just some Rage I need to bestow upon you before you sign up.  Characters made for this campaign should fit this campaign.  Please do not post some character who does not want to adventure, who does not care about furthering some purpose (whether noble or greedy).  Make interesting characters. 

I have had people in other campaigns who made characters, get in game, and their first posts consist of:

Urist walks into the tavern, pulling up his hood to hide himself from the view of others, and goes to the darkest corner of the tavern, silently watching the others in the room. 

Not necessarily horrible, but we happened to have 3 of the 4 people in the group (with me being the only social character in the campaign) think this was exactly the kind of personality that was just so cool.  so when my character walked in all he saw was three brooding characters trying to act all 'loner' and cool in the corners.  I asked the DM if I had been a bad boy and had to go to the corner for something I didn't know I did. ???

Now I know this is a lot of reading, but I want this to be a long, "epic", campaign full of story beyond just hack and slash. 

Also, I haven't really advertised a game for online before, so I very well might have missed something.  I know that I do not have a virtual table top selected, but we will be playing on one.  I just don't know what one to use, so if you have ideas let me hear what your favorite is -as long as it is free-.

EDIT!:  I am new to DMing, I have DMed before but hardly, but I have played a fair bit, plus love rping.

Edit:
Houserules-
There is no Leadership Feat, you will gain followers and such through RP, and I will tell you how followers work as we go.

Monk's don't need to be Lawful, but they cannot be Chaotic.

Also: I found this Paladin and I like this one a lot, it fits the setting and from what I have read it is fairly balanced (mostly looking at the opinions of people who seem to know what they are talking about so forgive me if I am wrong)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123822

If you have any houserules you want me to consider let me know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:21:27 pm by Karik »

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5: Mael's Standard (Virtual Tabletop, recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »

I added some Houserules and the like, people interested in playing Paladin should look to the class variant I posted a link to, I like what this person did a lot and it fits my campaign nicely, though this homebrew class has 'Orders' of it's own, and so seeing as my setting has Orders we will use mine.

I will create Codes for the Paladin's that join depending on what God/Order they choose.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »

I'm showing interest. Got any timezones?

Also, I recommend Gametable. :)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »

Well I am Eastern timezone, but I am open to working around that.

thanks for recommendation, will check into it.  If you have AIM feel free to contact me to talk out char ideas (you should get AIM 0.- lol)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »

Eastern as in GMT-5?
Shoes...

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:50:26 pm »

Yes, like East Coast USA

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:56:31 pm »

That's where I am too.  I might join, now that my connection's all better it won't go all horribly wrong like the last time I was a player.
Shoes...

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:00:14 am »

Sounds good, I suggest get AIM and IM me to talk over your ideas, I already have two probable players in AIM with me right now, loving their ideas, and ya.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:52:34 am »

I have never done a proper RP with the DnD Rules of any edition for two reasons, those that do RP want to do shitty ones, and 2 they all suck...

I would love to get on in this if I can...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 09:53:45 am »

Alright, would love to have more players, but do note I am selecting on the character idea you create, so I need to see before you find out for sure

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:12:01 am »

Also note we have a Paladin of Fury and a Cleric of Mael now, so keep that in mind when creating a character.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

In.
Creating a sorcerer right now

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:34:27 am »

Good to have another interested.

And I am on AIM again for people who want to bounce ideas off me.  dndzplz

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:52:06 am »

I posted before I got a char sheet because there really is a high demand for these kind of games.
I feel lucky that there are still spots open.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:56:38 am »

There are three spots open, though a lot of people interested.  I am not taking first come first serve, just to let everyone know in case they missed it (not saying you did), so make sure you create a character that fits the setting and such, and make sure this kind of setting works for you (remember, the version of "Good" in this campaign gets a bit wonky.  I am working on a code of laws and such)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4