Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Whats your favourite tame fighting creature?  (Read 4551 times)

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite tame fighting creature?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »

I enjoy using GCSs because they leave silk afterwards. Pretty difficult to get without modding though.  :( Do they breed in vanilla? Because I had a pair for around ten years in my last fort and never got a single baby.

Modded, I enjoy using war chickens. "ONWARD TO VICTORY MY FINE FEATHERED FOWLS!" Pretty weak individually, but they multiply quickly. Plus I enjoy the mental imagery of an army of poultry bringing down a goblin seige.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

Add this to the entity file:

[CHILD:#][CHILDNAME:singular name:plural name]

where #= the amount of children you want the thing to have in one go

You really should make sure you're giving valid advice, since this bit is wrong - the CHILD tag specifies the age at which the animal becomes an adult. If you want to increase the litter size, use [LITTERSIZE:min:max].

do i have to get rid of the [NO_GENDER] tag for it to work?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:41:56 pm by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:14 pm »

Yes.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:22 am »

I have my first war dragon in my current fort.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do to control your modded war animals? I find it very difficult to assign my dragon to a specific squad, since it doesn't distinguish between the dragon and dogs. I just assigned all my animals to one lone marksdwarf who patrols my perimeter, so I now have this archer with about 15 dogs and 1 dragon following him around the map.

Seems like a cop out though, was wondering if you guys used anythign specific in so far as utilities or if there was something i was missing for controlling animals.

Also, what's the best way to see that they are healed if they get injured?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:56 am »

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do to control your modded war animals? I find it very difficult to assign my dragon to a specific squad, since it doesn't distinguish between the dragon and dogs. I just assigned all my animals to one lone marksdwarf who patrols my perimeter, so I now have this archer with about 15 dogs and 1 dragon following him around the map.

Seems like a cop out though, was wondering if you guys used anythign specific in so far as utilities or if there was something i was missing for controlling animals.

1) you don't.
2) 15 dogs and a dragon? Ouch. Kill all the dogs, kill the dude. Next war animal assigned will be a dragon... :P
3) Best way to heal is to take the owner off-duty until the animal heals. Chances are that if a dog is wounded, it really won't survive.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »

I've got two giant desert scorpions I traded from the elves. One lives in the zoo, but the other fights in the arena against all the goblins I captured. That one is probably my favorite pet in the entire fortress.

Other than that, I've got a giant leopard (also from the elves) who I put on a rope in the narrow corridor to my prison. Anything that makes it past the cage and stone traps turns a corner and comes face-to-face with the leopard.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

I'm not sure yet.

I'm setting out to enslave an entire chasm and all the creatures in it. I will mine out all the gems, I will capture as many creatures as possible! I will build on all the ledges! The creatures who can be tamed will be made livestock of my fort .. and those who cannot will be thrown into the chasm where they belong! With the exception of cave swallowmen. They will be fed to their former chasm-dwelling comrades.

Gee I hope I can tame me a large number of large and giant rats ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »

push "Z" go to "animals", then mark all the unnasigned dogs as unavailable and make the dragon available, then the only one assignable will be the dragon.  That should do the trick.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 03:18:50 pm »

I like Bears and Gorillas, but I haven't had a chance to try a megabeast yet...
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

Yeah gorillas are so full of awesome win, throwing a handful of wrestler goblins into a pit with one is just the funniest thing.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:37 pm »

push "Z" go to "animals", then mark all the unnasigned dogs as unavailable and make the dragon available, then the only one assignable will be the dragon.  That should do the trick.

Doesn't work, it's has an owner listed so i can't unassign it.

The dwarf that they were assigned to died, and now the dogs and the dragon are just huddled around the spot where he died. At least it's outside, so they'll guard against ambushes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »

Modded, I like using something sentient, just for the idea of it.  I especially like lizardmen or snakemen, and build moats just to let them play in.  (I also really want an egg-laying ability... yeah, sure, you can farm chicken eggs, but who wants some lizardman omelets?!)

Unmodded... I try and go for the insult animal waves, like the groundhogs previously mentioned... or hoary marmots or other, similar animals.

Also, for the same reasons as with lizardmen and snakemen, I love having moats filled with alligators (or better yet, SHARKS! It's so Bond Villain, evil genius-y. Still working on the friggin' laser beams on their heads, though...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:26 am »

In my last fort, the elves brought me a Giant Desert Scorpion and a Giant Jaguar.  I caged them behind the entrance, and released them when goblins entered with a lever pull...

They killed the goblins, then ran outside and got killed by more goblins.

In this fort, though, I got several shipments of Cougars and Black Bears from the elves.  They're breeding like cats.  The wolf population is taking off, too.  I might have to turn invasions back on just to try out a Cougar army.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 03:39:40 am »

Best arena foe ever, the carp...But the arena has to be built over the river.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:19 am »

In my last fort, the elves brought me a Giant Desert Scorpion and a Giant Jaguar.  I caged them behind the entrance, and released them when goblins entered with a lever pull...

They killed the goblins, then ran outside and got killed by more goblins.

In this fort, though, I got several shipments of Cougars and Black Bears from the elves.  They're breeding like cats.  The wolf population is taking off, too.  I might have to turn invasions back on just to try out a Cougar army.

I love using wolves for a wolf pit, its just so Roman :). "What is this human? Where are the longswords and whips I requested last year? Throw him to the wolves!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4