Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New and Excited player held back by technical issues.  (Read 3212 times)

Vazgen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New and Excited player held back by technical issues.
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:56:23 pm »

Dear readers,

I've just discovered about Dwarf Fortress this tuesday. After watching some tutorial videus i now know for sure i like this game. However, the ASCI version is too indistinguishible to me, so i downloaded some graphically enhanced versions, one of which being the version recommended by captain_duck.

The trouble, however lies in the fact that whenever i open this version, it never starts up, it keeps running in the background and using substantial CPU power (100% of one of my cores).

I, now as a humble newbie, plead for your expertise in solving this puzzle, since i'd really love to play Dwarf Fortress.

Thanks in advance,
Vazgen

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: New and Excited player held back by technical issues.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:59:33 pm »

It does that.
You'll just have to get used to it.(I did.)

Vazgen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

I fear you don't quite understand my point. the game doesnt startup, it merely runs in the background.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

First, please talk casually around here, we wouldn't be dwarves if we didn't use questionable swears, carp jokes and generally acting like rude, drunken tunellers would we?  ;D

Second, I can think of two possible reasons for this, you either installed it wrong or your computer doesn't like the graphics sets you're using.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »

Does the original DF work for you?
If not, try the 40d17 version with the 2D mode.

Did you try any other (pre-packaged or otherwise) graphic sets?

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

We could def. use more info. The version of the DF you downloaded, especially, and possibly what video card you're running. My roomate can't use D16 on his system currently, it does *exactly* what you describe. I got him set up on D17 and he's able to run it, and have fun once again, trying to keep his insane little buggers alive.

I believe it's a combination of his flat screen LCD drivers, his onboard Intel graphics, and something in D16. I had to use specific settings on D17 (new to that version) to make it work for him.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »

I presume that you are using windows, otherwise there could be loads of problems you are getting.

Try doing it this way:
1. Click this link:

Click ok on any dialogues that come up, this will download a zip of the dwarf fortress game.

2. Create a folder somewhere called "Dwarf Fortress". Copy the contents of the zip downloaded in step 1 into this new folder.

3. Open //Dwarf Fortress\data\init\init.txt

copy and paste the following in over the contents:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4. Right click on this picture and click "save image as..."

Change the name to "lemunde.png" and save it in "Dwarf Fortress\data\art\" .

5. Download this:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1202

It's a zip of creature graphics. Extract all the contents to: "Dwarf Fortress\raw\graphics\"

6. Double Click on "dwarfort.exe" in the main "Dwarf Fortress" folder, this will run the game.

If it still doesn't work, then I don't know what's going on. : )

If you do get playing, you'll want to take a look into using this, it makes running forts of large numbers of dwarfs far easier.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 02:35:43 am »

Ok, after reading previous posts (and snickering at the 2nd and 3rd one) I feel I should add some more general advice.

First, tilesets themselves cannot crash the game or do what it does on your computer. It are the init settings that most oftenly do that, these are the settings in the init.txt files in data/init. Assuming your pre-packaged DF has no errors in its tilesets, it can only be the graphics settings. Some pre-packaged games have been set to work optimally on one type of system, but fail utterly on others. DFs opengl engine is far from complete and needs some custom tailoring done on most systems to reach its full potential (or work at all).

Hence a number of updated graphic engines were released, which are numbered as d14, d15, d16, etc. The init files often do not work between these versions, some old parameters are remove and new one are added. The thing I recommand is to simply get the stock init file for the DF version you are running, read the comments on the parameters, and expiriment untill the game runs properly.

Also note that tilesets of any kind work on all d-versions. I recommend choosing a tileset that you like best as tastes differ quite a bit in that area (I for instance abhor the tileset in the post above), but it can be helpful to play the game with an ACSCII tileset at first (doesnt have to be a default one).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Vermadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:02 pm »

I've had that trouble before too, i had been messing about with the init and the game would only eat CPU, but not work.

The simplest solution is to download dwarf fortress which includes a tileset, like Mayday's set.

It can be acquired here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1840

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:58:20 pm »

It does that.
You'll just have to get used to it.(I did.)

[threetoe edits: insult removed]

Check it out bro, just today I upgraded to a very mighty computer by the grace of the hand-me-down gods and I was having your same problem. The game burned all my CPU time and never got enough worthwhile calculations in edgewise to start the game. I did get to see my fort once but it ran at "0" frames per second and needless to say, wasn't playable.

To spare you agonizing details, I did these things in DF's init file:

[PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:5]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]
[FPS_CAP:60]
[G_FPS_CAP:30]
[PATH_COST:1:1:2:10]

Using df40d16 and that fixed the problem. I went from 7-20 FPS on my old computer to 0 on the new computer and now it gets 24-36 :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:15:14 pm by ThreeToe »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »

I've had some problems with tilesets before, resulting in various visual glitches (missing visuals, all black visuals etc)
It all boiled down to me choosing the wrong values for the x/y pixels.

I'm running windowed mode, with 1280x1024 desktop-resolution. These are my settings:

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:900]
[FONT:Markvii.png] <-the tileset-thingy I'm using. Yours would ofcourse be different..

Oh, and I almost forgot, carp ate your welcome-to-the-forums-cookie :/
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 11:18:22 pm »

I'm happy to see everyone helping out.  We need new people to keep this show on the road.  Please refrain from snide comments and fighting.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 12:16:18 am »

What you might want to do is just download the game and not change anything before trying to start it. If that works, then you know it is something that was changed.

Give Mike Mayday's pack a try. It is located here on the DFFD (Dwarf Fortress File Dump) http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1840
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

lokis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

Hello, I had this problem, I started dwarfort.exe and appears it isn't opened, but the process was running.

I solve this problem by creating a .bat, simply do this:
Create a file named dwarfort.bat and edit it
Put this in the file: dwarfort.exe 1

Save the file, and now run dwarfort.bat... This makes the game open normally for me, I don't know why, it appears there must be a parameter to the .exe file
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:21:30 am by lokis »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 03:11:47 pm »

I'm happy to see everyone helping out.  We need new people to keep this show on the road.  Please refrain from snide comments and fighting.

While I can't remember what I posted that you edited, I think I was yelling at the 2nd poster whose post boiled down to "too bad, deal with it" ... not so constructive. There's lots that can be done to help DF with compatibility and tons of us here have ways to help...

Two other things that have helped me since starting to play DF in windows 7: Run the app as an administrator, make sure it's not attempting to run on multiple cores if you have a multi-core CPU (right-click the process in task manager and click on "see processes from all users" and then right-click dwarfort.exe and select "affinity" and uncheck all except "core 0".

I also had to disable Aero and run in windows classic theme, Aero was lowering my FPS by another 10 frames, keeping me in the single-digits with 30 idle dwarves. I also find that I get much better FPS in older builds--for example, keeping 20-30 FPS in DF40D16, I reload a much larger and more complicated fort in DF40D11 and get 60 fps (which was my cap) with a ton of dwarves working all over the map. Good luck.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2