Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ancient Plants - simple challenge mod  (Read 783 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Ancient Plants - simple challenge mod
« on: February 12, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »

Having read a few posts complaining that the standard underground crops make the game "too easy," I decided to post this small list of underground plants which can be used as a replacement for the standard ones. I've simply lifted these out of my Mesozoic Dwarves mod, where they are included to increase the challenge of farming underground and to encourage the player to work in the hostile outdoors. They're lower yielding, lower value, have limited growing seasons, and generally require more processing.

To use them as a replacement in the standard game, paste them into the matgloss_plant file and delete the entries for the standard crops that you want to remove (such as Plump Helmet, Cave Wheat, Sweet Pod, etc). NOTE: If you remove Quarry Bush, you'll get crashes if you don't replace it with another [LEAVES] producing plant; I've included an example aboveground replacement here that will prevent the problem.

Ancient Underground Food/Drink Crops:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aboveground Replacement for Quarry Bush:

Summary of Replacement Plants:

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Plants - simple challenge mod
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »

If you remove Quarry Bush, you'll get crashes if you don't replace it with another [LEAVES] producing plant;

How come?

Also, hell of a lot of plant-related things in this forum today. It's either an odd coincidence or everyone's been at the same leafy muse

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »

I have no idea why there must be a [LEAVES] plant; it took me hours to figure out that it was the cause of my crashes. Apparently a [LEAVES] plant that occurs either above or below ground will prevent the crashes, but having only a [LEAVES] plant that is limited to biomes of a specific alignment does NOT prevent the crashes.

I posted these few plants because of all the recent discussion about plants on the forums, so maybe the phenomenon of so many plant posts is the result of a feedback loop. =)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:58:20 am »

there's a few worldgen issues with the leaves, I think that's what causes some crashes, sine underlying programming runs off it.
Nom nom nom