Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Music in DF  (Read 3141 times)

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Music in DF
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:59:19 am »

The original theme is a six-string deal from Toady One, but it can get rather dull (no offense).  Muting the sound, one can play whatever they like while working/mining/sieging/committing war crimes.

Mining: Dethklok, Covenant (The band that made "Call the Ships to Port", not the pop band)
Working: Dethklok
Sieging: Dethklok
War Crime: Dethklok

Why all the Dethklok?  Murderface, of course.  From the first episode:
Nathan Explosion:  "And don't just buy booze! Dat ain't food.
William Murderface:  "What do you mean, "booze ain't food"?  I'd rather chop off my ding-dong than admit that!"

And as a matter of fact, yes, booze is food.
tl;dr: what do you listen to whilst you work?
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Music in DF
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »

Usually I just have whatever is conveniently in my Winamp playlist going.  Though it is kind of amusing to have the Ren and Stimpy soundtrack going, since it's all orchestral vintage-style music.
Sanity is for the weak.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »

We've already determined that this is the official df song.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
  • Overproducing plump helmets
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:28:01 pm »

I listen to humppa. Eläkeläiset mostly. I think it's pretty dwarfy :) It's also quite nice how they got all their songs on spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/track/42yIs951dWz10vd7zLRHpy a spotify link to one of their songs

and for you less fortunate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKDlgOQhzXI

Not their best song but one of them.

Sometimes I listen to oldies, techno and Leevi and the Leavings.

And Korpiklaani is pretty damn enjoyable and dwarfy too, yes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:31:23 pm by Wiiking »
"He's Wiiking. He can do anything." -Metabie
"What Wiiking did was quite smart." -Dare
"Wiiking hits it right on the nail if you ask me." -Nedstar
"Wiiking is supah powah!" -Shotking

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

I seem to be the only one who doesn't listen to death metal (or some variant of it) or obscure folk metal stuff.

I listen to a combination of orchestral music, soundtracks and random semi-obscure bands like "The mountain goats" "The eels" and "The Flashbulb".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »

I don't really think high-energy metal type stuff even works for DF. At all.

There's a reason the original music is sort of slow and contemplative: That's what works for a game like this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:49 pm »

I don't really think high-energy metal type stuff even works for DF. At all.

There's a reason the original music is sort of slow and contemplative: That's what works for a game like this.

Ditto. I can't stand metal myself. Different strokes for different folks I guess...
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:17:58 am »

I didn't even mean it as a matter of taste, really; I just don't think extremely energetic, adrenaline-pumping, peppy music in general goes with a relatively slow-paced and complicated ASCII strategy game.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:00 am »

Seriously what is up with all the Death Metal?

I think the problem here is that people are confusing there IMPRESSION of Dwarf Fortress with what the game actually is.
People think of all the 'fun' and the deaths, and killings, and explosions and the magma, and they think "Yeah! rock music! Head banging! Totally dude!"

But Background music in a game isn't meant for that.  The original guitar instrumental currently works PERFECTLY for the game as it is, because despite what WE do to the game, at its heart its a game about simple Dwarfs, out in the wilderness, trying to lead simple lives.  The very elegant guitar music perfectly complements this.

If you WERE ever to add additional music to the game, I would suggest a system where the music changes as your fortress grows.  That is a more logical approach then heavy rock Music blaring when you are milling around with 10 or so dwarfs...

You could have different music from when you goto Hamlet, to town, to City and finally Metropolis.

My own music suggestions?
Well if oyu mixed: THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biaFj0S1jcs
With THIS: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00638/
I think oyu would have a real winner. Both of them convey a busy growing city, without breaking frm a fantasy/medieval music feel.

As ofr a Metropolis sized theme, oyu can always do : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BA68851B2FAE6A27&search_query=koyaanisqatsi+the+grid
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:42:17 am by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:25:41 am »

I hate to say it but I'm pretty sure I've replaced Toady's oggs with the .ogg files from some D&D RPG game.

There is no shortage of easy to find OGG music files to just rename over the ones the game comes with. Or winamp/itunes/whatever.

Some actual use of mood music would be a great thing: music which comes on when the traders arrive, when ambushers turn up, when a siege commences or the last one is driven off.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:44 am »

Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:59:41 am »

For a while there I had Butter Building from the Kirby games playing (I wrote over the .ogg file) with it, which was fun! Of course, it doesn't quite fit the mood for everyone of course ^^

Also, I had a rather large ambush once, so I youtube'd the Pokemon battle theme. Fun was had~~
Here's a rather good piano version of it!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 09:23:15 am »

I listen to humppa. Eläkeläiset mostly. I think it's pretty dwarfy :) It's also quite nice how they got all their songs on spotify.

Eläkeläiset and Dwarf Fortress? xD
That's a combination I never considered. I'll have to try that now.

I sometimes substitute the 'The Settlers' (original for the amiga) themesong while playing Dwarf Fortress, myself. I think it fits just fine.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

DrD_AVEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent jeweler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:53:16 am »

I like original DF music, but I have a suggestion: listen it. His name is Sergey Sadov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zknIGb5aJHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqjfSREG0E

Also I have a cd album of this author and play in DF with it.
What do you think about this music? If you enjoy, maybe I can upload some songs for you.
p.s. And is there a chance that Toady will see this post and grade this music?)) If he will, I hope he enjoy with it too.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »

I often stick to guitar-based stuff in the vein of the default music.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: [1] 2