Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Synthetic Spawn  (Read 1011 times)

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Synthetic Spawn
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:53 am »

Hello,

In a megaprogect, building a lake of magma over all the map with a fortress built in the middle, with a bridge (construction - floor) to the edge of the map above the magma, will caravans and invaders spawn on the constructed floors if they were not built on the original ground?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Synthetic Spawn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52:37 am »

Invaders and caravans spawn anywhere where there is a viable route to the depot/fortress.

So basically, if that is the only way in the caravans will almost definately spawn there but invaders have a chance to.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:54:44 am »

Invaders and caravans spawn anywhere where there is a viable route to the depot/fortress.

So basically, if that is the only way in the caravans will almost definately spawn there but invaders have a chance to.

So I can theoretically force the caravans to spawn in a very specific location by building a road and lining it with statues so that they can only enter my fort through the road?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

So I can theoretically force the caravans to spawn in a very specific location by building a road and lining it with statues so that they can only enter my fort through the road?
Yes, provided there aren't any trees or boulders anywhere near the edge.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:59:04 am »

I already built the granite road to the edge of the map where I want the traders to come from, I wasn't sure if I lined the road with statues (both for aesthetic purposes and to funnel the carts to a much shorter trip than they have been using, to get them AWAY from the zombies and skeletons) if I would break the carts. Thankfully I will not. :)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:13 am »

Note that while this usually works, there are some weird cases involving sites built on rivers.  Sometimes a caravan can only spawn on one side of the river, and you need to build the entrance one one side of the map for access.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:29:09 am »

I already built the granite road to the edge of the map where I want the traders to come from, I wasn't sure if I lined the road with statues (both for aesthetic purposes and to funnel the carts to a much shorter trip than they have been using, to get them AWAY from the zombies and skeletons) if I would break the carts. Thankfully I will not. :)
I built mine out of copper before.

Who needs 600 copper bars anyway?

Note that while this usually works, there are some weird cases involving sites built on rivers.  Sometimes a caravan can only spawn on one side of the river, and you need to build the entrance one one side of the map for access.
And sometimes if you have a small embark area the will spawn on the other side of a chasm that goes through the middle of the area.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

I would have made it out of copper blocks or something if I had had the copper to spare, but not having found much iron yet my military is armed almost entirely with copper, so it's been commandeered by the military for right now.

I would like to pave it in Plat/Gold/Copper/Silver once I hit some veins of it. Tear the road up and rebuild it.