Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've created a monster.  (Read 1764 times)

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
I've created a monster.
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:50:54 am »

I present to you... my first (and most unbalanced) creation, the first of it's kind to be spewed from the depths of my mind, and to survive long enough to realize itself in a conceivable form. It is a very uncouth and horrid beast, as any who have laid eyes upon it never lived to tell the tale. As such, it's true form is unknown to all other than the horrible being or beings which birthed it from their diabolical laboratory, tainted summoning, or demonic worship, whichever it may be.

Without further ado, I give you, the Monstrous abomination. Enjoy :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, constructive criticism is welcome, especially on what I could possibly do to make it less volatile (or more volatile, if that is your fancy), while still keeping it enjoyable, since when in Adventure Mode, I basically slaughtered everything in one hit, but then again, they were all (no name) skilled militarymen, militarydwarves, and militarygoblins, not Champions.

Oh, and like any and all monsters or abominations born from science or otherwise, the best method to kill it is with fire. Or magma.

EDIT: I think I'm going to use this thread for any other entities I create. They'll all probably be megabeasts of some fashion. It's always great fun when you have a monster with ten arms pick up your entire military, bite their heads off, and pour their entrails on your remaining militia.

EDIT: After genning a few worlds, it seems that my abominations rarely attack anything during world gen, and will only attack if something confronts it or some poor sap tries to stop it from stealing a Plump Helmet, because of the [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]. The tag has been removed, and the abominations now seek out and kill things it encounters.

Though, I may be completely wrong and just genned a few unlucky pansy abominations, and then got lucky when I removed the tag...

Oh, and I also toned down the size to 45, which seems acceptable. They aren't slaughtering everything in sight, but they really don't have a very high mortality rate either. (Actually, I haven't seen a single one get killed yet. Then again, I only let my world gen run for 200 years maximum)

Silly me, I accidentally put [POWER] twice in the creature raw. Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:53:59 am by Desiderium »

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've created a monster.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:08:34 am »

You may want to remove the brain, lungs, [nervous] tags, [throat] tags, guts, and heart because those can get instamangled by bolts and wrestlers, and will after a couple years of worldgen.  Also, your [buildingdestroyer] has a ; instead of a :

Anyway I like monstrous abominations for their slimy phalanges :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:12:20 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »

[SIZE:80]

Okay...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:15:48 pm »

The sheer amount of limbs and appendages make up for the whole having internal organs, and the [NOTHINK] tag allows for it to have a brain but not need it. I was thinking of protecting the spinal cord with shells, and the throat is already protected. The guts, heart, and throat allow it to be instakilled with a very lucky blow, since there's so many other parts already in place. And good catch on the buildingdestroyer.

[SIZE:80]

Okay...

see

my first (and most unbalanced) creation

Though, I think I might want to shrink it down to maybe 45 - 50, since 80 seems to be enormous and the damageboost it gets from it is ridiculous. This is my first, and much testing is still to be done.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:59:43 am »

Now make it shoot fireballs, fly, reproduce, and without a lower body, upper body and a head. :)
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:28:32 am »

how do I put this spawn beyond rational thought and mortal imagination into my game?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:19 am »

@CaptApollo12

I could always make it shoot fireballs from one of it's heads, and make the head that of a dragon... But flying's a no-go, it just doesn't seem right that an abomination (in my mind, misshapen and unevenly distributed in weight and ligaments) would be able to fly effectively. Maybe I could give it skin flaps between it's arms or something and pretend it can glide, but there's no such thing as a [GLIDE] tag. Reproduction is also a no-go, since it's an abomination, and doesn't have a definable gender. I like keeping things as much aligned as what I would imagine them as in real life, and a demonic monstrosity summoned from the depths of hell or constructed and genetically mutated in a laboratory wouldn't be able to reproduce in my mind, as it's not a "naturally occuring" entity, like Dragons or Giants and Titans.

@Odd!x

If you want to put the entity into your game,
Spoiler: Use these two codes. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:52:09 am by Desiderium »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 02:00:44 am »

Don't forget the [LARGE_ROAMING] tag, or else the beast will never appear.

[FREQUENCY:100] helps too.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:48 am »

Don't forget the [LARGE_ROAMING] tag, or else the beast will never appear.

[FREQUENCY:100] helps too.

Sure, [FREQUENCY:100] if you want it to always be on the map and slaughter everything in sight. I'd say Frequency:10 is still pushing it, because of how insanely hard it is to kill.

Also, other Megabeasts I looked at didn't have [LARGE_ROAMING] and I've seen them in-game. Such as all of the Megabeasts Dig Deeper added.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:16:20 am by Desiderium »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:59 am »

Oh yeah, haven't worked with megabeasts, forget the tag does that.

If you want it as a normal creature as well though, feel free to add those tags  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 02:23:08 am »

...I don't even want to imagine packs of roaming Monstrous Abominations... there wouldn't be any civilizations left, let alone wildlife. Of course, for maximum carnage and raw game breaking power fun, remove the [NO_GENDER] tag as well.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 09:16:50 pm »

Give it wings, but not [FLY], and see what happens.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »

It would just walk around with wings on it's back, wouldn't it?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

It would just walk around with wings on it's back, wouldn't it?

Don't they occasionally throw themselves off a cliff because the creature thinks it can fly? Or does that only happen if you remove [FLY] from an animal that already had it?

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »

I don't know, I've never experienced something like that... I guess, since there IS a [FLIER] tag on both the bodypart AND the creature entity file, if you remove the bodypart tag, but not the creature tag, the AI would still think it has the ability to fly, and it would hurl itself off cliffs and such.

Pages: [1] 2