Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some nooby questions  (Read 630 times)

Mister Lingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some nooby questions
« on: February 12, 2010, 04:07:24 am »

Ok so I just started playing and I have some questions. How do you pan the screen past your site? What I mean is I have a fort inside a mountain but I can't scroll the screen to see the other half of it.
Next, do you ever get to go out and see those haunted sites and other civs? Or do you have to be in adventure mode to do that? If that's the case, then how do you find the big scary spiders and whatnot?
And also, what if you don't have magma present on your site? Do you build a looong tunnel to a volcano for it? hehe
FINALLY are there any good mods that add content compatable with tilesets? I'm not a fan of ACII despite being an avid roguelike player...

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some nooby questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:19:03 am »

The screen is limited to how big your embark site is. Arrow keys scroll through your available map space.

No, you have to be in adventure mode, once again, its limited to the embark site. You have to embark in evil mountains to get spiders i believe.

And MAGMA is once again unfortunately limited to your embark site. Go to the init.txt files and change all the features to "always" this will cause underground magma (aswell as chasms, bottemless pits, clownite, and underground rivers and pools) to show up on the far left screen when choosing a site.

and ASCII is the greatest

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:22:06 am »

o.o

Yep these are some nooby questions.

Ok.

1)
You cant scroll past the site you are in.
In the place where you select where you want your fort to be, thats it, thats your playing area, so far as the entire world is concerned thats the only active place.
You cant go out of it.

2)
Well you can settle on a haunted site or w/e... but adventure mode is where there is no boundrys except the side of the walls.
to find the big scary cave spiders you have to go hunting in a bottomless pit/chasm, i suggest dropping cats on each level so the gcs attacks that and is revealed and you can cage then tame it without it killinga dwarf and thereby making it un-tameable.

3.)
No magma on your site = no magma on your site.
And that doesnt work unfortunitly.

3)
Download dwarf fortress gold by mike mayday.
it gives a fairly good tile set.

Also if you dont know how to change the init.txt to show where the features on the map are...

go to- data, init.
open init.txt

and replace the few lines of
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:SITEFINDER
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:SITEFINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:SITEFINDER]

to
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

This will show all the features on the map, so you can put your site on your ideal place with whatever features you want and it makes it easier that just using the site finder as you can see them on the map (when planning where to embark to) and can make changes to include/exclude more area.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Mister Lingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:27:43 am »

Ok then thanks. That should help plenty with the feature scouting thing.
Bummer about being restricted but oh well, maybe in another release.
Not like there's any running out of things to do :D
You know what? I thought of a few new questions XD
Is there any way to increase the size of your site area?
And does anyone know if the Dig Deeper mod works well with tiles? Or does it result in a weird tile/ACII hybrid?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:34:00 am by Mister Lingo »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:28:27 am »

on the site embark map, press capital U,H,K,J to increase or decrease the size of the embark area.
Tip: Dont make it too big unless your computer is a god, i usually make it about 4x4 or 5x5 tiles.

There are tile sets for dig deeper but dont ask me how to do it, and i think your a nooby so ild advise you to stay away from the dig deeper mod for a bit till you get comfortable in running a normal fort.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:07:44 am »

Now it seems your questions are answered, what the hell is clownite?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:00 am »

Now it seems your questions are answered, what the hell is clownite?

A rather odd term for HFS (Hidden Fun Stuff) - the term "clowns" has become reasonably common, but I've never seen it used to refer to the material itself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mister Lingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:36 pm »

Alright thank you all! Ecpecially you silhouette. This might be the nicest forum I've been on in a while. I'll hold off on Dig Deeper for now. I'm thinking that DF gold is the main download on mayday's site. Until I have more questions, thanks again!
Oh no, does anyone have the new site for mike mayday?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:19:26 pm by Mister Lingo »