Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Settling in a human town  (Read 3076 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Settling in a human town
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:15:41 am »

What would happen and what are the possibilities of arriving in an human town?

For example I see that there are items in their chests  ;D

Can I steal them? I guess this will trigger the guards?

What I mean is... Is the town really 'living' as in adventurer mode? What I can/can't do compared to a 'arrive in wilderness' game?

Unrelated question? Why I have scrambled characters in this mod (DFG21), I mean the O is weird, and I have symbols of wood and shirt in my text ??? Can I edit that out?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Settling in a human town
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:44:15 am »

You can take their stuff, and deconstruct their buildings, and they will not care. Resident humans don't eat and sleep, IIRC. And they will fight off invaders. The reason the characters are scrambled is that the game uses the same characters to display objects in the gameworld as it does to type stuff out. The O is used as an O and also as a pillar, and to actually give the pillar a graphic you need replace both Os. The only way to get rid of it is to stop using graphics. After a while it ceases to bother you. At least, it ceased to bother me.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:38:13 am »

It's actually highly recommended that you steal everything (it'll need to be unforbidden).  Otherwise, kobold thieves will steal valuable things very easily, and you're likely to have early ambushes.  They'll mainly kill humans, but it's still potentially annoying.

Also, it's possible to mark worn human clothes for dumping, and your dwarves will swarm over the poor human and strip 'em naked.  The humans don't mind at all.  Not sure if it counts as theft from caravan guards, but I always do that to the elves before land mining their caravan, when they bring nothing but stupid cloth (smart cloth is fine, it's the stupid cloth that bothers me).
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:50 am »

when they bring nothing but stupid cloth (smart cloth is fine, it's the stupid cloth that bothers me).
Careful with that joke, it's an antique  ;)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:45:34 am »

humans have about as much intelligence as the dirt they built on.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:45 pm »

you can by adventurer mode raise a massive army or resting adventurers and there companions.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »

ok, so bottom line, except if I want to steal all their stuff, there is not much added interest in settling the fortress in the same local area than a human village? i.e no real 'life' from the village can be expected... so bad!

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

My main fort after I started to play the game is under a human town.  I haven't stole anything, and roleplay that the humans wanted us to settle there to increase trade and provide protection so I dug a fort into the hillside and have around 60 dwarfs.  When I hit 100, I'll start my project, a massive wood wall fortification with a moat surrounding the whole town.  I already have 20 marksdwarfs fully equipped with bone/leather armor and wooden xbows.  I sell crafts in order to get steel weapons and armor for my melee men.  I build with wood only.  I'm thinking of deconstructing all their buildings and building a giant wooden castle with it instead of the wall but that's twice as much work.
I like sushi.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

ok, so bottom line, except if I want to steal all their stuff, there is not much added interest in settling the fortress in the same local area than a human village? i.e no real 'life' from the village can be expected... so bad!
If you've got the ingredients for glass you can try to turn the town into a giant snowglobe.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:54:27 am »

Hehe, Thorik gave a good and noble goal to do though, perhaps it can be fun to settle near them.

Ah, I would so much like to have a living world to play with and not be encaged in a local area.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:04:13 am »

Hehe, Thorik gave a good and noble goal to do though, perhaps it can be fun to settle near them.

Ah, I would so much like to have a living world to play with and not be encaged in a local area.

Give him time, I'm sure it's coming in an update or two (or ten?).
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:46 am »

Yee haw, found a way through the aquifier and got to the rock salt beneath, found coal and two iron veins rather quickly, now I can make my own iron weapons muahahahaha, Nothing can stop me now that I have a clothing industry and smithing industry muahahahaha!
I like sushi.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 02:41:29 am »

1. Is it possible to start in the same area as a goblin tower? Does it means early fighting then until one of the opponent is dead? Does it means I can raid their tower?

2. I guess it is not possible otherwise ppl would propose that: is it possible to edit a world to create artificially civilizations, i.e plant several goblins civilizations and then embark nearby?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 02:55:53 am »

You should try it out instead of just assuming.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 03:17:29 am »

Well about (2), I don't see such files in the wiki, that's why.
Pages: [1] 2