Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grrr, stupid gems.  (Read 3307 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Grrr, stupid gems.
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:38 pm »

Urist McPeasant; I must have rough gems!

Me: alright, start mining that granite level we found!

in the span of 1 minute:
Urist McMiner: We've struck Native Silver! We've struck Native Gold! We've struck Native Platinum! We've struck Bismuthine!

Me; Well, that is awesome, but not what we're looking for. Keep digging!

The seasons pass, with no gems found.

Urist McPeasant has gone stark Raving mad!

2 seconds later...

You have struck Emerald!! You have struck Golden Beryl!

Me:  >:( ( sends Urist McRandomDwarf to fight the Magma man)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:02:47 am by twwolfe »
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Grrr, stupid gems.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:44:42 am »

When you see it, you will struck gems.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:47:18 am »

When you see it, you will struck gems.

What he said!

?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:45:22 pm »

What about when you -do- have gems but they aren't of the kind UristMcPosessed demands?  >:(
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »

What about when you -do- have gems but they aren't of the kind UristMcPosessed demands?  >:(

Then you wall the room he's in in and wait for him to die if the traders won't arrive in time so you can get him what he needs.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »

I've never had a situation when he demands a specific type of gem.

The only thing is that he might want rough gems and you've cut them all up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »

As far as I know there are no demands for specific materials, only types of materials. Spoiler-worthy materials are exceptions.
The sigs topic:

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:30:13 pm »

I believe I've seen one case where a moody dwarf specifically demanded Bronze Bars. I don't quite remember how it got resolved though.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 12:23:02 am »

I believe I've seen one case where a moody dwarf specifically demanded Bronze Bars. I don't quite remember how it got resolved though.

I've had that exact situation in my current fort.

When I saw him first take back some bronze bars, I forbade them in the workshop and went to the stocks menu and did the same for all but the most expensive metals. Immediately after, I noticed him just sitting in the workshop waiting. Wondering what the hell was going on, I checked his demands and lo and behold, "Urist demands bronze bars."

I've also had a specific demand for raw green glass in place of general gems, but the glass/gem relationship is different from bronze/metal.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:41:44 am »

If you had a glass furnace you could have made some raw glass and that would have counted, but I'm sure you knew that.  I guess for future reference, don't cut up all your gems.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:19 am »

Heh.

I never cut up any gems.

I just import mass amounts of already cut sapphires, rubies, diamonds, etc. Rough gems are all saved for mood requirements. The one exception being if I'm on a sandless/magmaless map and have no other way to train a jeweler. If that's the case, then I'll cut up all of the common gems and leave the rarer ones for moods.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 05:13:58 am »

Well training a cutter on actual gems is somewhat self-defeating. Putting that aside, could we get more details on the bronze business? I know that moods for weapons and armor will demand <spoiler> when it is discovered, but could it be that they sometimes demand the strongest metal available? Does that dwarf have a preference for Bronze?

I've heard that the absolutely-only-accept-favorite problem was a thing of the past, so that if they can't get it then they will eventually relent in the current version and pick something else before going nutz. I've also heard that demanding favorites doesn't even exist in the current version, though I've heard the opposite here and there. It would be nice if someone could point out a definitive example or reference!
The sigs topic:

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:57 am »

All I know is that after the dwarf paused in gathering mats, I 'q'ed the building and he was demanding bronze bars. Pretty sure I had a modest stockpile of steel at the time, and barring that, a massive stockpile of bronze, so it wasn't that.

From what I recall, he didn't have a preference for bronze, either. But I could be wrong there.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:44:22 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:32:38 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »

BTW, anyone want the World gen info for this site?

There's Native platinum, Native aluminum, native silver, native gold, native copper, hematite, casserite, Bismuthine, A magma pipe, a magma pool, and an aquifer that i haven't managed to find yet. perfect for a metal-working industry, and I'm pretty sure you can import flux stone.

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: [1] 2