Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34

Author Topic: MyWorld: Kingdoms  (Read 24363 times)

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: MyWorld: Kingdoms
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2010, 05:12:56 pm »

Ah, the last 'poor' house is almost complete. After this I must work on a grainary. I cannot put it off any longer. I guess I'll build a fairly large one then build a few workshops on the otherside to balance it out. First though i need to finish the house.

Tom becomes a Hunter.
Lucas changes job to become a Woodcutter.

Tom hunts.
Lucas cuts wood.
Wolf finishes building with Lucas' cut wood.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2010, 06:34:56 pm »

Day 10A: Gather Wood (1) and Gather Food (1)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

Do we need to define granary spaces with a G?
I assume workshop spaces have to be a W, but what does each enclosed W mean? If a workshop building has 2 Ws does that mean two workers can work there? What exactly is the effect of a workshop?

Are enclosed granary spaces still worth 20 food storage?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »

New rule statements:
Builders get a 'free' square destruction each turn, in addition to their 3 blocks built. This may be used to knock down a wall, kill a tree, etc.
Empty buildings with only floor space will be used as a granary to store food, unless declared otherwise.
Enclosed granary spaces are worth 20 storage.
Workshops will be given a letter stating what type of workshop they are: Carpenter workshops will be a C. Mason's workshops will be an M. Forges will be an F.
One person may staff each workshop. Cramped conditions will likely cause a reduction in quality. A 3x3 space is considered optimal. Multiple workshops may be in the same room.
Workers may build up to two crafts per turn, but may take longer for a better chance of a high quality item.
A craft may be a statue, a table, a chair, a cabinet, or most anything that can be represented with an ASCII symbol.
A craft may be placed in a room to enhance the morale of the building by +1 for a set amount of turns. Multiple crafts may further enhance morale.
Higher quality crafts, and crafts made from better materials will enhance the duration.
Quality levels: Item -Item- +Item+ *Item* ≡Item≡
One item may occupy each square.
If an item is removed, it will cause -1 morale for a length of time equal to the time it gave +1 morale for. People will grow tired of a table over time, but that doesn't mean they don't want it anymore.
Upgrading an item they are bored with will extend the +1 timer. Example using fake numbers: a -wooden bed- gives 2 turns of joy. It has been around for five turns. It is replaced with a +wooden bed+, and now gives another +1 turn of joy.
Yes, this means that your wooden beds and stone beds may be upgraded to *wooden beds* and ≡stone beds≡.
Everybody is happier with ≡Golden Thrones≡ that menace with spikes of menacing spikiness, even if they should be tired of them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:27 pm »

For workshops, if 9 tiles of M is considered an optimal Mason's shop, what is the minimum number of tiles for a shop with no penalty? At what point do you no longer benefit from a larger shop?

Or do you mean that you'd have a building with one M and some empty space around it?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »

This is a standard Maon's workshop. The mason has plenty of room for his tools and workspace. He is happy. If it is larger, he will not spread out to occupy the entire space, as running around in it would be inefficient.

0=D=0
|+++|
|+M+|
|+++|
0===0

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:00 pm »

Okay, but anything less than those 8 empties and he starts getting penalties?

Also, is it possible for a villager's morale to go below zero?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2010, 07:41:51 pm »

Yes.
Yes, under fairly extreme circumstances, such as somebody living with nice things suddenly losing their house and becoming a vagrant. In such a case, morale is not at the top of your priority list - the spellcasters in the zeppelin hovering over your city flinging giant globs of fire are1.

1 - Please note that spellcasters flinging giant globs of fire from a zeppelin are probably outside the scope of this forum game, as they'd do funny2 things to battlefields.
2 - Funny in a DF sort of way. Not in a way that most people would consider funny.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »

What morale does a soldier in barracks / civilian in inn give? And we would still need to have 8 non-bed squares adjacent to each bed, right?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

The military is trained not to care about where they sleep, although civilians will have morale problems if the soldiers have nowhere to live.
8 non-bed squares? That wasn't part of my rules.
I'm still conflicted on inns. On the one hand, there's no real point to building them aside from making things look nice. On the other hand, people tend to be happier with their own houses. I'm considering making inns have a -1 morale penalty over a house, but allowing objects in the inn itself to give a quarter modifier to each patron .... four spiky golden thrones would give everyone a +1 morale bonus.

Thoughts on inn balance are welcome at this time.

I'll start working on a turn now. Azkanan seems to have broken his router, and will need to be AIed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:13:46 pm by Nirur Torir »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »

Inns probably shouldn't raise morale for residents unless they are really nice. However, they can be a way to attract visitors (more caravans, mercenaries, etc) and gain wealth for the town.

A Tavern (which may be part of an inn or completely separate) should raise morale for the entire town provided that it has sufficient food and drink.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2010, 08:43:56 pm »

Day Ten - Morning Results

Day Nine - Morning Events

Azkanan
AI: 1 worker gathers food, 1 worker gathers wood.

Nirur Torir
A new migrant has arrived!

Webadict
A new migrant has arrived!

Wolf
Unable to build with wood that is currently being harvested. Builder AIed to gather wood.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir's Turn (click to show/hide)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »

You skipped me?! I was only gone for 6 hours! D: Was babysitting.  >:(

Both build.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:57:19 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

Day 10B: 1 gather wood, 1 gather food.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »

Avos Gathers Wood
Rodi continues construction

= - Planned
= - Building
= - Built

===D==
|++++|
|+B++|
======
|B|0+|
=D==D=
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34