Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I just hit HFS (Spoilers)  (Read 2527 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I just hit HFS (Spoilers)
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »

And I screwed up... I hit it at the bottom of the map, and reacted too late to save a large part of my population. 1 spirit of fire got through and slaughtered my dwarves. One mass recruiting later the demon got killed tho. I went from 24 to 8, of which 6 are stuck in the blocked part now, and 1 is insane. And the last one? You guessed it, she's fucking ecstatic!

So, right now I'm trying to hold out with 1 dwarf, I disabled all but food hauling, farming and brewing and I hope I can hold out till the next immigration wave. One positive thing? She already got a mood so she can't get one at this critical point.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I just hit HFS (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:08:04 pm »

Why the fuck did you dig that deep with 24 dwarves?

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »

Cause it's MANLY DWARFLY!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

Question, are the daemons demons dead or trapped in the depths?

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »

Lol there is much awesome here, great job!

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:17 pm »

Have to give you credit for not save-scumming after an oops like that. Interesting that 24 activated noob warriors could take down a spirit of fire.

Better get rid of armor/finished goods stockpiles.  Last thing you need is your sole remaining dwarf to pick up something that is still burning.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:38 pm »

I busted in the ceiling of HFS before, I heard some crap like daemons demons could fly so I panicked and re-sealed the hole in the roof.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

So you accidentally dug into the roof of the carnival? Weren't the clowns mad?
(Oh if they weren't flaming clowns, you could drown them. Or burn them with magma...)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:48 pm »

I busted in the ceiling of HFS before, I heard some crap like daemons demons could fly so I panicked and re-sealed the hole in the roof.
I can totally atest to that...

I was thinking myself smart, as I already knew where the chamber was, I set up some pumps to just drown the place.  So I sent a miner right above it to begin channeling away the roof.  Within meer moments I got.

HORRORS FROM THE DEEP!!!

And there was much Burniation.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:25:49 pm »

I'd like to see a miner dig into the bottom of a smal magma chamber in an HFS, burn to death, and then have a swarm of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
attack the fort, without being able to block the fort due to the magma.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 06:18:54 am »

Some sort of tradition. I have always dug all the way to the bottom of the map to get my mining going. But this is the first time this happened :D

Question, are the daemons demons dead or trapped in the depths?

I killed one SoF, and there is at least another one the is stuck on the bottom level together with 3 of my dwarves (the other 3 already died of thirst).

Have to give you credit for not save-scumming after an oops like that. Interesting that 24 activated noob warriors could take down a spirit of fire.

Better get rid of armor/finished goods stockpiles.  Last thing you need is your sole remaining dwarf to pick up something that is still burning.

Ya, the first time I hit HFS I immediatly savescummed, but this time I was like "Screw this, losing is fun". I already desabled all hauling skill, so she wont be picking up anything burning, not that she could, cause I didn't seem to find anything on fire.

So you accidentally dug into the roof of the carnival? Weren't the clowns mad?
(Oh if they weren't flaming clowns, you could drown them. Or burn them with magma...)

I didn't dig into the roof, I hit the basement:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wish I had a picture of the remains of that SoF, there were pieces everywhere, he really got torn apart by my totally inexperienced dwarves :p
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:41 am »

Heh, nice, now you get to do the hermit challenge! yay!
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:44:41 am »

Heh, nice, now you get to do the hermit challenge! yay!

Seems kinda boring. All she is doing now is planting food and brewing drinks...
She's no longer ecstatic :(

I really hope I can hold out till the next immigration wave. Any tips to get her happy again?

EDIT: Phew, she's feeling fine now..

EDIT2: hmm, she just managed to channel out my moat with the human diplomat still on it.. He's drowning now. Is that bad? ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:23:18 am by Eviltyphoon »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:22:26 am »

If you consider a human siege bad, then yes, that's bad.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:28:23 am »

FFFUUUUUU-

So, I got my next migrant wave. And guess who the very first migrant is... The F*ing king...
Pages: [1] 2