Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Where do you bury your dead?  (Read 4753 times)

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you bury your dead?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 01:50:55 am »

Since I do my exploratory mining in shift+arrow grid blocks, I end up with a whole bunch of 9x9 squares, and if they don't get mined out for minerals I dig a bunch of alcoves in a spiral-y shape into them. Every dorf gets a coffin and a door. You can fit 12 per square and it looks nice.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:22 am »

Should a Dwarf die he gets a coffin in his previous bedroom,
the bed is then recycled for the next room.
one of my first forts has a setup like this:
bed, wall, coffin, wall, coffin, wall, coffin, wall, coffin, wall, bed, wall, coffin ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 07:26:21 am »

So far I've done it pretty much differently for every fort.

I've had massive catacombs, I've had rows of tombs, I've chucked them into a refuse pile, I've buried them in a cemetery, put them to rest in the hallways of the fort ...

My fav is the cemetery. It's a 1x1 room with a ramp leading down to it.I then put a constructed wooden floor on top of the grave (not the ramp) and it looks like rows of little crosses. Underground there are rows of coffins.

I like it because it's neat and I get a use out of all that landscape outside my fort. I also build mausoleums there and can produce tons of grates that I use to fence the area in. It can lead to much fun since building destroyers can go about messing up the fence and the graves - and ogres can access the bones. It gives me a reason to put some fortress guards homes over there, gives them something to do apart from punishing Urist McCarpenter who's blamed for not making clear glass gauntlets or something.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 07:45:12 am »

My current fort has them resting in the dining room. Just because they're dead doesn't mean they can't party.
This is to make me recognizable.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

Funny, I've actually put the coffins of important dwarves in the dining room. Or in little alcoves on either side, anyway. I do the same thing with the entrance hall, so everyone passing by can pay their respect to the great ones. Tucking the dead away out of sight like you're ashamed of them is a human idea. 

This.
I often do something like, a rectangular dining room with alternating niches either 1 long or 3 long. "lesser dwarves" get a 1-long niche, "better" dwarves get a 3-1long niche, 1 coffin in between 2 statues.

I keep 1 mason pumping out coffins/statues until masterwork is pretty normal, and sell everything that isn't masterful.

It's not like I'm usuall short of either dwarves, or rock.

Of course as soo n as I can the dining room is smoothed and when I get a legendary engraver, engraved.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »

In death, everyone is equal.

Everyone gets an exceptional iron coffin in a fully engraved room. Each room is very large and contains 20 or so coffins, and each coffin has its own alcove in the room.

The room is secured behind masterwork iron doors.

As each room is filled it is engraved, but only as it is filled. Thus, each room chronicles the ages of the fortress.

At first it is all plump helmets and traveling. Later burial chambers are all about masterwork crafting, artifacts, burning dwarves, burning goblins, and burning elves.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 07:21:45 pm »

We're playing a succession fortress right now, so I stuck the coffins in the super-spiffy, magnetite-walled, future dining room another person built. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

Well. I thought I could last until the new version before trying out my designs and ideas, but because of this thread I had to build something.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have an art blog now.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 04:42:31 am »

Image of Win.

Very nice...Are the corners pillars or constructed supports? Not familiar with that tileset (though I see the first floor seems to have pillars in the corners...)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:04 am »

I'm using stonesense. still very new at it .. the pillars at the corners are actually constructed walls. it looked like rubbish putting grates at the corners and i couldn't put a door in there. i imagine i'll make many and larger mausoleums to house the nobility in the future.. this is just a test run.
I have an art blog now.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

Currently my dwarves have 2x3 rooms carved out to be buried in. Unfortunately, I've been too lazy to put coffins in there. Should do that...
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 09:16:45 am »

Most of my dwarves are buried in old coal and iron veins which I then wall up.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 11:08:17 am »

Sick tomb

I saw this and the first thing that came out of my mouth was

"Oh SHIT, bitch, that's fucking sick!"

So goddamn cool. The alcove in the Oh god DAMN it I was just in Athens and I can't fucking remember the architectural term for the triangular bit between columns and roof, help me out here someone is my favorite part.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »

Arch?

Architrave?

Capital?

Gable?

Keystone?

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

Gable

PEDIMENT. Finally remembered the bastard. Gable's the modern equivalent, classical stuff has pediments. Thankyooou

Anyway, yeah, Aspgren, your tomb's the shit. I'm totally building one of those on the highest hill I can find and entombing champions there that die of old age. I may be forced to attempt to outdo you, but hey that's DF :P (And the one you posted was a dry run anyway ;D)
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4