Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Where do you bury your dead?  (Read 4654 times)

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you bury your dead?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 02:42:17 pm »

I keep dorfs coffins in their bedrooms along with there bed, table, chair, chest... and when they die I lock the door.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

I bury my dwarves in the closest magma vent/ bottomless pit/ chasm. 

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 03:09:21 pm »

I build a long room in one of the deepest z-levels and carve out alcoves. this goes to the ordinary dwarves, special, non-noble dwarves get a 3x3 crypt, and nobles get whatever they want. My king is buried in platinum or Funine, and successivly less precious metals in order of importance.

I try to be realistic. Like carpeting my kings throne room in solid gold.
happy now, bitch?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 06:28:16 pm »

3x3 tower of death.  Looks something like this(top down):

=0=
0X0
=0=

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 06:30:55 pm »

Taken from this thread, I have many ways to bury the dead. Those citizens I was somewhat fond of may enjoy a resting place in the mined out mineral veins, where they may rest in the heart of the mountain; noble tombs go here as well, since it's quick and easy to lay down masterwork engravings on valuable ore to make a Royal Mausoleum. Mass burial is in the giant glass pyramid, where those who died in workplace accidents may rest.Heroes of the fortress get either especially nice accomodations, like an upper floor of the pyramid to themselves, or alcoves in the fortress. Finally, those dwarfs I Did Not Like, or who died stupidly, get cremated in my obsidian factory, their memory annihilated with their corpse.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »

I should probably leave the dining room standing for extra creepy factor.

Funny, I've actually put the coffins of important dwarves in the dining room. Or in little alcoves on either side, anyway. I do the same thing with the entrance hall, so everyone passing by can pay their respect to the great ones. Tucking the dead away out of sight like you're ashamed of them is a human idea. 
Me, I take the view that the dead shouldn't sleep uneasily due to noise.
Nice  :D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »

I put them in my dinning room. That you can eat you kitten tallow biscuits with the stench of rotting dwarf in the air (I dont think putting a body in a coffin stops the decaying process)
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 08:48:20 pm »

I put them in my dinning room. That you can eat you kitten tallow biscuits with the stench of rotting dwarf in the air (I dont think putting a body in a coffin stops the decaying process)
It doesn't, since corpses will still rot to bones, but I don't think it actually produces miasma. Haven't had dwarfs buried inside in a while.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

dojango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:31 pm »

usually i go with catacombs, but lately have been getting more innovative.  Current fort has regular dwarves in both floors of a 2 story masoleum, masons go in the special "freemason" crypts, the late baroness and baron consort have taj-mahal style masoleums (spires still under construction). She demanded too much bismuth, and he committed suicide after her "accident".   When their replacements come, I suppose I can build them something new.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »

The best noble I ever got was the adamantine king.
(The highest regular spawn noble was the Dungeon Master.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »

I've been thinking about using a retracting bridge to float their corpses down a river, like the Ganges. Considering these are dwarves, magma might work better.

AndVon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:26 pm »

I usually have a long hallway on the bottom floor, and alcove it. Nobles may or may not be refused. Ones who contribute (dungeon master, first baron, hammerer) usually get platinum/aluminum, or whatever I have at the time.

I may use the fractal technique, just because it sounds fun.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:45 am »

In my current fort Wheelsreined.  The Metal of Warding Dwarves are getting decent burials for a change.  The large ones at the top are for my Military Dwarfs. Two fallen crossbowdwarfs and 2 extremely legendary and still living hammerdwarfs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone else gets a coffin watched by a statue sentinel.  I need to finish clearing the stone out of the entrance.

This is my Noble District
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Top left is the soon to be arriving King/Queen's Dining Room,  Top Right is His/Her Bedroom, Including Magma Heated floors, Platinum Bed and Reflective pool as well as tell tell signs of my 'Safety Precautions'.  Tomb is still being designed.

In the middle is the DM's Suite.  Tomb, Office, Bedroom, Dining Room.  Captain of the Guard's Suite is just to the right of the DM and a Small Clerks office in the bottom right.  Off screen across the hall is the Mayors Suite that is basically made of Windows because I believe in a transparent government.....and he's got some kind of fetish for windows AND green glass.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:47 am »

Did the floor ACCIDENTLY ever collapse while the queen was on it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4