Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Where do you bury your dead?  (Read 4655 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do you bury your dead?
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:53 am »

I have a nice 20 coffin crypt with the entrance outside the fort (but inside the walls) which i'm about to add more z levels to.
Oh yes, every surface is engraved.The first time I ever bothered to bury non nobles.

So how good is your crypt/rooms/open air for burial grounds?

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you bury your dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:25:11 am »

Dwarven necropolis. Mausoleums. Dwarfs sleep on the floor.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:27:44 am »

Dwarven necropolis. Mausoleums. Dwarfs sleep on the floor.
*you throw in a noble*

Count: Hey, its the legendary wrestler who was shot to death!
Count: Wait, why is he shambling to me?
Count: OH GOD HE IS BITING MY ORGANS OUT!
          *Count mcfaggot has been struck down*

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:18 am »

I melt them with magma and then throw water on it to make obsidian and build my fortress out of it. Dwarves must do their part even in death. Alternatively I carve them into mugs. This will give me a reason later on for assaulting all the other civilizations in the world in a jihad for drinking tea out of the remains of our fallen.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:32:13 am by Demonic Spoon »

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:55 am »

Refuse pile.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:18:08 pm »

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »

The founders have these:

Still could use some work - good thing none of them are dead yet.
The one with statues belongs to the original expedition leader, who's still mayor about half the time.
(Oh, and that door to the south leads off to the artifact vault. I figured treasure and tombs should be near each other at the very least.)

One level lower, down those stairs in the corridor:

The engravings get added around each coffin as it's filled. Mostly just so I can easily see how many deaths I've had.
There's another floor below it with the same layout: once I've finished placing the coffins there, I might dig a third level.

The nobles have their own tombs attached to their rooms, but who cares about them?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:40:50 pm »

If I have HFS on the map, I like breaching the lowest level , walling, roofing and flooring it with clownite and make it the central mausoleum of my grave complex, without actually meeting clowns (takes some preparation to build 8-12 floor tiles *really fast*). Since the king is typically present, he usually gets it to shut him up. When I off him, there won't be anything left to bury anyway. Regular dwarves typically get a 3x3 or equivalent, masterwork coffin and engravings. Some of my more esoteric tomb designs look like fractal flowers or spirals.

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »

i have a huge separate underground-underwater city for the dead, and currently, they have risen up and have started battling with carp.
Erarngumrash!

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:55 pm »

I toss the body or whatever parts I can find in to a chasm.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

Everyone gets a stone or metal coffin in a room dedicated to storing them. It's all engraved by legendaries, so any special dwarves can have them just enlarged to add value.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:39:22 pm »

I waver between two layouts.
1) Set up  coffins along the walls of a dug-out vein of metal. Return the dwarves to the rock and all that.
2) Convert the temporary housing I set up before I get the main fortress running to a necropolis. Smoothed and engraved, of course (which it often wasn't when it housed live dwarves). I should probably leave the dining room standing for extra creepy factor.

Northen_Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »

Every military dwarf gets 3x3 room with 4 statues and 1 (good quality) coffin. Walls will be engraved.

Standard dwarves get 9x9 (or so) room and I fit in as many coffins as I can, without one coffin touching other.
(map attempt:
W.C.C.C.C .W

)

Or 3x3 room with coffin in center.

Nobles get 9 x 9 rooms with one coffin and statues in all corners.

Pets get 9x5 room FULL of coffins.

I know I'm too kind, but I like maximize usage of rooms and those "Iron Search Tunnels" are just screaming for use!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 02:21:49 pm »

I should probably leave the dining room standing for extra creepy factor.

Funny, I've actually put the coffins of important dwarves in the dining room. Or in little alcoves on either side, anyway. I do the same thing with the entrance hall, so everyone passing by can pay their respect to the great ones. Tucking the dead away out of sight like you're ashamed of them is a human idea. 

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

I should probably leave the dining room standing for extra creepy factor.

Funny, I've actually put the coffins of important dwarves in the dining room. Or in little alcoves on either side, anyway. I do the same thing with the entrance hall, so everyone passing by can pay their respect to the great ones. Tucking the dead away out of sight like you're ashamed of them is a human idea. 
Me, I take the view that the dead shouldn't sleep uneasily due to noise.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4