Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: To Catch A Cave Croc  (Read 3227 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: To Catch A Cave Croc
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »

if you act quickly before they turn savage.
Ah, missed this. I just read "Born fully tame". Thanks for explaining it in more detail, although honestly I thought my own explanation was perfectly clear :)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 01:03:11 pm »

Interesting. I once had a whole fortress filled with tame Giant Eagles, after capturing one, but from what I remember I had *also* bought one from the elves.    Is all you need one tame female to make sure the descendants are all tame?

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 01:35:55 pm »

Hmmm....this is something I should try. There's a cave river and pool on this map filled with the things. If I can figure out a way to tame -> chain b4 they go savage -> somehow seperate their babies -> butcher shop, there could be quite some potential for profit cause their modvalue of 5 is pretty high compared to most other breedable creatures.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »

This is a known bug, though not one that has caught Toady's attention. It's kind of like the arrow/bolt melting exploit that Toady doesn't seem to know about (as revealed in his latest List post).

He knows about it:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: smjjames
Is there any indication of this bug: "001082 ? [dwarf mode][pets]   (Report) tamed feature creatures can become hostile even without having previously attacked dwarves" bieng fixed in the new release? I just got this one with my tamed GCS while I was trying to figure out how to make my silk farm work. I would have reported it, but we are so close to the new release that it wouldn't make a difference. Besides, the 'features' are bieng completely redone.

I'm sure there are some great things in the new version that we could tame which we would hate to have be hit by that bug.

I think my GCS may have gone hostile from killing goblins, which woke up the beast in it.
My guess is that it's been fixed by the underground rewrite, but hey, confirmation wouldn't hurt.

I think that one was in the request list.  I haven't had any tamed creatures around in forts long enough to test it inadvertently at this point.

I think he already knew about the bolt melting, too, and was just trying to clarify the question's odd wording:

Quote from: Reese
The new system allowing metal bolts to be used for training means that the melt rounding up to 1/10 and bolts not being destroyed bug can come together for easy splitting of metal bolt stacks.  Do you plan to address either of these at this time, or are they going to have to wait for the balance pass?

I'm not sure I understand this.  Is it about getting extra metal by melting down individual bolts?  I haven't done anything with that, in any case.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 01:58:01 pm »

Hmmm....this is something I should try. There's a cave river and pool on this map filled with the things. If I can figure out a way to tame -> chain b4 they go savage -> somehow seperate their babies -> butcher shop, there could be quite some potential for profit cause their modvalue of 5 is pretty high compared to most other breedable creatures.
It's actually not too hard.  Make a dead-end cave somewhere in an out of the way corner of your fortress, somewhere that nobody will wander in by accident.  Build a bunch of chains there.  Capture a few cave crocs and use your Dungeon Master to tame them.  Immediately after taming them chain then up.  Wait.  They'll give birth to hatchlings after a bit.  Immediately chain or butcher those hatchlings.  You don't need to worry about the adults attacking your dwarves because they don't turn fully hostile to members of your civilization, but you do want to make sure you don't send your broker or mayor or whatever to chain or butcher a croc while a diplomat or liason is following him around while trying to attend a meeting.  For safety against escaped hostile crocs, build a handful of weapon traps in the entrace to the croc breeding cave.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »

I was thinking along these lines:

1. Cage traps, capture some crocs
2. Move the caged crocs into a pen system close to the butcher/tanner/leatherworker and then tame+release+chain them.
3. Make babies
4. Here's where I get stuck though, because if the crocs eventually turn hostile to your dwarves(?) how would you seperate the tame babies out of the parent's pen in order to bring them to a pen of their own to either increase breeding pairs or for slaughter?

If they do turn hostile over time (or even if they don't) there could be good potential for fun xD. Build the pens below the meeting hall and set up a way to pit captured gobbos (or nobles) and stuff into the angry croc breeding pens while your dwarves look on. Treat the angry beasts, and improve fortress life in one go!  ;D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 03:00:23 pm »

They don't turn hostile towards your dwarves.

They turn hostile towards diplomats and traders from other civilizations, and towards furniture.  They'll leave your dwarves alone, and your dwarves won't be scared by them.  So there's no trouble with getting the babies to be butchered.  Just chain the crocs up in a room your dwarves can reach.  When hatchlings are born, designate them to be slaughtered.  Your dwarves will go and get the hatchlings and take them to the butcher's shop to be butchered, while the adults just sit there and watch with no trouble.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

Ah great, thanks for clearing that up :)

On a different note, I wish riding was supported properly, cause if the wiki is accurate they also have the [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tag

Funny thoughts  :D

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

They don't turn hostile towards your dwarves.

They turn hostile towards diplomats and traders from other civilizations, and towards furniture.  They'll leave your dwarves alone, and your dwarves won't be scared by them.  So there's no trouble with getting the babies to be butchered.  Just chain the crocs up in a room your dwarves can reach.  When hatchlings are born, designate them to be slaughtered.  Your dwarves will go and get the hatchlings and take them to the butcher's shop to be butchered, while the adults just sit there and watch with no trouble.

Honestly, this barely even sounds like a bug to me. More like added realism.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »

Interesting. I once had a whole fortress filled with tame Giant Eagles, after capturing one, but from what I remember I had *also* bought one from the elves.    Is all you need one tame female to make sure the descendants are all tame?

No, migrating creatures are fine. It's feature-related creatures like cave crocs and fire imps that cause trouble. I think we hypothesized that it was related to some of the special characteristics normally given to "Resident" creatures.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 08:53:02 pm »

Miner:Sir?
Mayor:No miner, there isn't such things as wizards.
Miner:BUT ONE SHOT A FIREBALL AT ME!
Mayor:that was a fire i- Nevermind.
Miner:But back to the real topic, those crocodiles you caught and put in restraints all activated by one lever.
Mayor:What happened?
Miner:While the fortress was collecting adamantine from the depths a gremlin snuck in a pulled the lever.
Mayor:But we had a guard in there!
Miner:He was sleeping WAS sleeping, now he is dead.
Mayor: the crocodiles were killed by the Weapon traps right?
Miner:Yes, but now a siege is here and every damn weapon trap in the fortress is jammed!
Mayor:But we only have weapon traps!
Miner:Exactly.
Mayor:Miner, it may seem like I hate you, but I really love you.
Miner:I'm not gay sir.
Recruit:APIFJAUOWFJAOWUIFJ GOBLINS ARE IN THE FORTRE-
 *Recruit as been shot and killed*
Mayor:RELEASE THE DOGS!
Miner: The crocodiles killed them too!
Mayor:Agh, Bullshit.
*Mayor and Miner have been shot and killed!

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »

so I just caught my first breeding pair after a few years of waiting. Dug a thin spiral tunnel to the edge of the cave river and set up a LOT of cage traps cause it was filled with bad things. Set a few fisherdwarves to be bait and after a few years i managed to random two cave crocs in the traps (while I lava-pitted anything else)

There may be a more efficient way to get the river creatures into a position to be trapped but I haven't thought too hard about it as the rest of the fort needs attention too.

Biggest problem is that the way the second half of the river is shaped (where most of the creatures are) I can't get close enough to provoke them because if I try to build any lower (and therefore closer) the river will flood the tunnels.
Pages: 1 [2]