Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To Catch A Cave Croc  (Read 3230 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
To Catch A Cave Croc
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:42:36 pm »

What are some ways y'all have found best to catch the beast that roam an underground pool?

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
Re: To Catch A Cave Croc
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:49 pm »

lure it in with MEAT. dwarf meat. u know. ;D
Erarngumrash!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:51:01 pm »

Catching them is too much work.  I just wait and see what the elves bring me in the spring.  Crocodiles, giant leopards and giant desert scorpions are pretty common trade commodities for elves.  There's nothing better than a giant leopard-splosion to help with invaders.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »

Another question, do I have to FIND a pool to make tower cap farm? Or if it's on the surface when I arrived, will that work?

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »

To make a farm, you don't even need a pool. for tower-caps, all you need is a room underground, hit 'b' and then 'p', and build your plot. afterwards, hit q, and set parameters for growth.
Erarngumrash!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »

To make a farm, you don't even need a pool. for tower-caps, all you need is a room underground, hit 'b' and then 'p', and build your plot. afterwards, hit q, and set parameters for growth.
Actually, tower-caps are a type of tree, not a crop. Once you've discovered an underground water source, they'll start spontaneously growing in muddied subterranean areas. Presumably this works if they're revealed on embark.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:26:09 am »

Honestly, when I want to catch them, I just dig a tunnel straight down next to the river pool. So that the up stairs is actually touching the water.

Then build cage traps all over the top. Eventually, they'll come out and wander into the traps. Especially if they've been breeding.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:35:46 am »

Catching them is rather useless anyway. Remember that even after being trained, they will go hostile after a period of time and start smashing buildings and attacking traders. They'll leave your civilization's creatures well enough alone, but they can't be butchered and you can't get your military to kill them. The trait is carried on to all of their children.

This is a known bug, though not one that has caught Toady's attention. It's kind of like the arrow/bolt melting exploit that Toady doesn't seem to know about (as revealed in his latest List post).
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 02:35:56 am »

In my current fortress the u. pool and u. river were already visible and my tower caps are growing fine.

As for catching cave crocs...I just set up about 30 cage traps in my aquaduct before i flooded it gotten a few so far....takes awhile to drain though I made it quite large and only gave it a 2 tile drain, I will probably have to make that bigger when i expand my tree farm.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:54:46 am »

Catching them is rather useless anyway. Remember that even after being trained, they will go hostile after a period of time and start smashing buildings and attacking traders. They'll leave your civilization's creatures well enough alone, but they can't be butchered and you can't get your military to kill them. The trait is carried on to all of their children.
Actually, children of feral cave crocs are born tame, and can be butchered.  I have a handful of cave crocs I chained just after taming them which have long since gone hostile.  They yearly produce multiple hatchlings each, which can be designated for butchering and provide my fortress with a constant supply of meat and leather.  Also, once cave crocs have gone hostile, they can't be designated for butchering, but they will set off weapon traps and can be butchered once killed in a trap.  Cave crocodile farming is trickier than standard domestic animal farming, but can be quite rewarding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:02:33 am »

Cave crocs are automatically forced hostile eventually?
So its like the dwarf-kill-hostile bug, but forced on?

Don't attempt to catch them, they will bite your dwarves in half.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:09:33 am »

Not hostile exactly.  I think the name for the flag is 'savage'.  They won't attack your dwarves or other members of your civilization, but will attack traders and diplomats from other civilizations.  They will also smash furniture, can't be designated to be slaughtered or assigned to a cage or chain, but will set off weapon traps and can be butchered after being killed in a trap.  It takes a while (maybe a year, I haven't actually timed it) for this to happen.  Offspring of savage crocs are born fully tame, so you can cage or butcher them if you act quickly before they turn savage.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 12:20:20 pm »

Well Sphalerite, you've got everything right except for the offspring. They're born tame the same way your crocodiles are tamed at one point, but they do go hostile after a time just like their parents. That is what I mean by "the trait is carried on to their children".
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 12:23:42 pm »

Well Sphalerite, you've got everything right except for the offspring. They're born tame the same way your crocodiles are tamed at one point, but they do go hostile after a time just like their parents. That is what I mean by "the trait is carried on to their children".
Miner:Sir?
Mayor:What?
Miner:Those crocodiles you caught..
Mayor: What about them?
Miner: They are rampaging through the fortress smashing the +Golden Table+ you were bitching about.
Mayor:Good, now kill it.
Miner: sir, that is the problem, the game won't allow us to shoot it.
Mayor: Your fucking insane miner.
Miner: Fine, go get bitten in half by it, asswipe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:27:07 pm »

That's what I said.  Cave crocodile hatchlings from hostile parents are born tame, then go hostile after a while.  They aren't born hostile however.
Miner: They are rampaging through the fortress smashing the +Golden Table+ you were bitching about.
Mayor:Good, now kill it.
Miner: sir, that is the problem, the game won't allow us to shoot it.
That's why my fortress has weapon traps in meeting areas, high traffic corridors and around key levers.  Hostile crocs will be killed by weapon traps, and then you can butcher their corpses.
Pages: [1] 2