Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: burial grounds and what have you  (Read 898 times)

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
burial grounds and what have you
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

I have a fort that is situated in a tundra, right next to a desert, and many different beasts run to-and-fro. i have created a few hunters that rip the animals open with their hands, and i have ordered them to pile the bones in a room after being butchered. one of the hunters ripped an elf in half. WHAT DO I DO? the elves have their own desert fort on the map, right in an oasis. WHAT DO I DO?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:23:23 pm by namragog »
Erarngumrash!

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SOAP QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:59 pm »

1) Nope, constructions are absolutely indestructible. An ice wall will never melt, a soap wall will never dissolve.

2) No idea. Probably, but that's cheating.

3) The temperature of the area was probably higher than the burning point of wood.

4) Not quite sure what you mean.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »

This is my first post, but i have been playing DF for a year and a half now.
I have a few questions, and some of them have to do with soap. :D.

1. I know it is possible to make a soap house. will it melt in the rain?

2. is it possible to make a reaction that turns wood into soap?

3. why is it that when i embarked on my last fort, the caravan was on fire?

4. if it was possible, could i merge my -BARREL- with and *CAT*?
1. No, constructions are pretty much invincible to the elements (including magma)
2. I think so, if you mess with the raws. Not much experience with that myself.
3. Uh, fire imps, maybe? You could have duplicate raw entries as well, which really break the game.
4. Not quite sure what you mean by that.

Somewhat ninja'd.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:47:02 pm »

This is my first post, but i have been playing DF for a year and a half now.
I have a few questions, and some of them have to do with soap. :D.

1. I know it is possible to make a soap house. will it melt in the rain?
No. Constructions are immune to all damage. Not that rain causes damage anyway.

2. is it possible to make a reaction that turns wood into soap?
Hmm. Yeah, should be.

3. why is it that when i embarked on my last fort, the caravan was on fire?
You probably used custom embark settings that allowed for scorching-hot maps hot enough to cause something the caravan carried to spontaneously combust, and then that ignited the rest of the stuff.

4. if it was possible, could i merge my -BARREL- with and *CAT*?
Um... What? Are you asking if you could put at cat into a barrel? That's not possible. But I'm just not sure what this means  ???
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

namragog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!
Erarngumrash!

namragog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:49:58 pm »

but what is the exact script for wood-to-soap?
Erarngumrash!

namragog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:52:41 pm »

Also, how do i make a mechanical clock, and how do i use it?
Erarngumrash!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »

Also, how do i make a mechanical clock, and how do i use it?
You might want to check out this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49193.0
It's pretty (see: very very) complicated.

Can't help with the specifics, but IIRC the file you'll want to mess around with is reaction_standard.txt.
You'll probably get better results asking in the modding forum.

Edit: In the future, you should probably edit your posts instead of posting thrice in a row. Just click the button that says 'Modify'.
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:07:03 pm »

I've not used it, but it should be something like the following, added to reaction_standard (requires a regen, or you could replace every line after the [REACTION] one in an existing reaction to not require a regen).

[REACTION:WOOD_TO_COW_SOAP]
[NAME:Make soap from wood]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:SOAP_ANIMAL:COW]

This reaction should take 1 wood of any type and turn it into 1 bar of cow tallow soap. I'm... not entirely sure if it will work as-is; I've not done too much work with wood in smelter reactions and I'm too lazy to look up a preexisting example at the moment. Also, while I'm 90% sure that's the right entry for soap in the product line, oftentimes animal products require wonky syntax in reactions. Regardless, you're probably better off learning how to mod on your own to at least some degree so you can figure out what needs to be done and how to troubleshoot reactions.

As TKGP said, any further questions along these lines should probably be directed to the modding subforum.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burial grounds and what have you
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:44:20 am »

I have a fort that is situated in a tundra, right next to a desert, and many different beasts run to-and-fro. i have created a few hunters that rip the animals open with their hands, and i have ordered them to pile the bones in a room after being butchered. one of the hunters ripped an elf in half. WHAT DO I DO? the elves have their own desert fort on the map, right in an oasis. WHAT DO I DO?
I, uh, didn't mean edit the first post to be a completely different topic. Sort of makes the initial replies a little... confusing.
To answer your question, not much in particular. You won't be able to butcher the corpse or make things out of it's bones, and the elves probably won't get too pissed off if you just killed one of them. Which brings me to the question of how? Dwarves shouldn't be attacking friendly creatures unless they become enraged. Did you, say, lock the elf in a room until he almost died of starvation?
Cave adaption.