Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Flora & Fungi  (Read 11254 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flora & Fungi
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 11:53:58 pm »

of coarse that relates to DF talk where toady wanted to have an enemy go to any tile in the map. Very creative.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:04 pm »

I hope this is the correct way to go about mentioning a feature suggestion that has been mentioned in the past.

I would like to (second) suggestions for proper fungi and plants. Moar better fungi in particular.

...  Something like [Club fungi : Fungus Name] / [Basidiomycota : ’Fungus name’] / [Fungi: Fungus name] would be present in each ground tile if it were inhabited by the mycelium. This could be assigned a integer number as the number the fungi appears in the raws. Also perhaps the amount of myceilium (1/7?) At the start of every month there would be a check of each Mycelium minus the energy required to upkeep such a Mycelium. If the result is negative then: non producing hyphae (think individual strands) die
If the result is positive then: New hyphae grow.(represented by either tiles or mass of the mycelium.)
A fruiting body sprouts.
Also after a while (variable time?) the spores on the fruiting body are launched Producing a variable amount of spores that make it to a new land tile.
They would have to die if starving to prevent 7/7 mycelium everywhere, but I remember that they can normally withstand a lot of shit happen. (they go into hibernation) ...

As someone who has spent quite some time on and around mushroom farms, proper fungi in-game would really be a joy to me. Massive mycelium networks (some that stretch forests and cities in size), different fungi competing* for resources (so you can have parasital fungi that are a problem to your tower-cap farms!). Fungal infections and other fun. And some fungi are a critical part to many eco-systems. (toadstool zealot elves anyone?). Some fungal fruiting bodies give off an eerie light as the "roots" decompose stuff (c'mon, the game needs foxfire). Some types are said to start fires in un-turned heaps of hay ("fire fang"). (You know the fortress needs more fire)

*Did you know trichodermia (green mould) mycellium effectively attacks other fungi in its vicinity chemically? Not a coincidence that that's where penicillin comes from. Wow :D

Fungi are fascinating IRL, and in DF fungi plays a very important part in the life of Dwarves and their fortresses. Traditional uses of mushrooms are mostly medicinal, but also for poisoning, and in the game a good wood and food source. I'd like to think that exposure to tower cap spores is healthy for dwarves and can help them heal or immunize them against certain ailments. Of course, IRL high exposure to most fungal spores is bad for a human's health... perhaps elves can't stand cavern fungi entirely?

Fungi are awesome. However spore/colonization and mycelium simulations would ostensibly kill the game's FPS. And to implement fungi in an elegant, simple yet cool way could be very challenging. That's all I can think of for it being a bad idea.
:-(

So I hope that some day, The Authors can begin to take fungi in DF in a cooler direction. Especially for foodstuffs like plump helmets. The current game implementation comes nowhere near being a good or entertaining approximation to what cultivating mushrooms really is. *stops self from ranting on commercial mushroom farming*

Btw excuse muh spellingz grammarz and mushroom-geekery
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:48:43 pm »

I certainly hope that we get multi-tile trees, as well as multi-tile mushrooms, at times growing at a ridiculous pace like a rising soufflé and requiring miners and woodcutters to chop them out of the corridors they filled up.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 07:00:35 pm »

It would be nice if fungi required some outside resource, like scrap food, butcher refuse (Nerves tissue ect) or logs to grow.

Make farming more Fun, which it really does require.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 06:49:17 am »

If a dorf needs a toothpick he will chop down the entire tree. Branches are for elves.

However I support it once there is a better reason and use for for those 'sub-items'

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 06:50:08 am »

Nice suggestion.

that said i fully endorse this post, with one small reservation. trees should all be multi tile, every time. if it is not multi tile it is just a shrub (or sapling). you would then be able to walk under them buy virtue of them having branches that span tiles. this would also make forests feel more like forests, as they would span z levels, block views and just seem bigger.

like this:
You beat me to posting my own mockup. I guess I'll just post the other:

Toady has mentioned that the wilderness seems far too much like a garden currently and that plants should get in the way more. I expect huge briars.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »

Having Fungi + syndrome = cure to infection or necrosis. PLEASE..Can't say it isn't hard enough trying to dodge that FB with Deadly blood.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

Having Fungi + syndrome = cure to infection or necrosis. PLEASE..Can't say it isn't hard enough trying to dodge that FB with Deadly blood.
Cure, maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the fungus in question, I guess.
Then again, you might not want your sick dwarves sitting too close to that corpse mold in the earlier posts...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 07:38:44 pm »

This thread is awesome.

I would like to see root systems show up in soil. If the game ever accurately simulated the water table, it would be great to see taproots in the game. These could be another driver for whether usable stone is the result of mining. (Rock tiles with roots in them would be useless).

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 04:23:49 am »

I want this so hard. Carnivorous plants have a special place in my heart, and expanded fungi farming makes me happy.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »

Along with this change, dorfs should be able to adopt plants as "pets" too. They will then relocate the plants to their rooms.

"Feed me, Seymore!"

That Idea doesnt fly for me. I love DF for its intricacies. huge attention to detail. Having a plant as a pet would be undwarvenly, but having a stray orc clever sever a branch, or a tree which feeds on the blood of others (may even finish off a few for itself) i feel is very dwarvenly.

I could certainly see a dwarf having houseplants (more likely potted fungi actually) or a bonsai.

I really like this suggestion in general.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 05:39:20 pm »

Love the thread suggestions.

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »

I saw the idea of making 'aquatic; magma-based plants, a truly exceptional idea.
I saw all the recommendations to exapnd the gardening, a truly exceptional idea.

I am now imaging entire gardens and crops of magma-based plants, an ultimate expression of dwarfyness, being tended to by gardener dwarves with dangerously elfy zeal and care.

You have successfully combined dwarfy and elfy into one. You have divided Dwarf Fortress by zero. You are Armok.  :o

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »

what about more alien carniverous plants? something taht has a hidded stinger that sprouts out of a vine (would be good for the entrance, automated trap but keep dwarves away) or blades that would kill/hurt you.

stone plants with bioplasma luanchers?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 12:17:00 am »

It would be nice if fungi required some outside resource, like scrap food, butcher refuse (Nerves tissue ect) or logs to grow.

Make farming more Fun, which it really does require.

Finally, something to do with that mountain of corpses I got from goblin Christmas. Delicious plump helmets and no stinky gobbos. A two-for.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3