Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Portal  (Read 3740 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Portal
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:15:40 pm »

Mostly everyone here has played it but it's such a good game i had to make a thread about it  ;D

For those of you who don't know about it, read this then go buy it.

Portal is a game where you are a girl running experiments for Aperture Science's new portal gun. This allows you to make a portal, letting you walk out another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFaIaLFsmmI

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

Well, not really, but the truth is scarier >_>
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:10:59 pm by Micro102 »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »

Portal is a game where you are an android running experiments for Caperture's new portal gun.

Wait, what Portal have you been playing?!

Firstly, it's "Aperture Science". Secondly, 'android'? Chell is definitively human, and I doubt she'd like being called an android.  :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »

Ok, look at the signs above the elevator doors and the projectors and you will see Caperture.

And she is an android. Didn't you ever look at yourself in the portals? You have METAL POLES sticking out of your legs

Quote: "we learn throughout the game that she is certainly not human. She is, in fact, an android (GLaDOS indirectly tells us as such later), and has been modified with bionic jump boot implants."

from http://www.game-ism.com/2008/04/13/the-clone-the-cube-and-the-construct-part-1/

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

What you're thinking of as the C in 'Caperture' is an iconic aperture logo partially occluded by the company name. But it does mesh well with the idea of capture. Clever design if it was intentional.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

And she is an android. Didn't you ever look at yourself in the portals? You have METAL POLES sticking out of your legs

Those are jumping stilts, for cushioning falls.  You can buy them.  Yes, their effect is superhuman in the game, but do you really want dozen story jumping puzzles with realistic legs?

Besides, it's parenting allegory anyway.  Or a lesbian call to power.  Or a retelling of Jesus' trials.  You get the picture.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »

Actually, I'd never noticed that the symbol looked like a C - nice catch there. Still, it's almost certainly not part of the name, given that multiple in-game and in-universe references cite the company name as "Aperture". Plus, "Aperture" makes sense - an 'aperture' is a narrow hole or gap, as is a portal.

The android theory, though, is flatly bunk. Valve states in the developer commentary that Chell is human; the 'bionic jump boot implants' are simple shock absorbers, added to Chell's model to rationalize why she can survive any vertical fall, while characters elsewhere in the Half-Life universe can be wounded or killed by fall damage.

Still, even if she's only human, the game is still priceless. Especially once you find some of the better map packs out there, where you discover how vicious some mapmakers can be.  ;D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:00 pm »

Ok, making the changes, and it suck that i don't have this for the computer.....I want more maps!

So, has anyone NOT played it before?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:40 pm »

I've played a level or two, but I can't get it to run on my laptop. Tried the demo from steam, and it refused to run.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »

It's not a C. If anything, it's more like an O, or a circle. It's a camera's aperture.

And the dev vlogs say she's just a girl and the things on her legs are just to rationalize the fact she doesn't take falling damage.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »

Glados says she is an android right?

What i believe the cake is made of: WARNING DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY FINISHED THE GAME.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »

Listening comprehension fail so hard.

Glados says that the normal level is down for repairs, so she has to put Chell through a different course designed for androids.  And of course the messages it gives during that test are designed for androids (Android hell is a very real place where you will be sent at the first sign of disobedience).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »

Glados doesn't say she's an android. She's talking about/to the turrets. It's the only point she mentions androids, when you're introduced to the turrets. Either because the turrets can be considered androids, their AI resembles glados, which is more (insanely) human than not, or because it was meant for 'droids anyway. Does that mean chell was an android? Not really.

Furthermore, Chell bleeds, gets killed easily, and is tempted with cake.

The article assumptions simply ignores the fact that glados is designed as a broken AI and the fact the developers didn't really give Chell an identity nor they cared about it. Not because she was an android or anything like that, more because the entire game was just a fun idea they had and threw together for the orange box.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:52 pm »

I'm gonna go with human, otherwise

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:22:48 pm »

!!&!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »

No he meets the portal girl.....either that or they make portal 2. I won't be satisfied any other way.
Pages: [1] 2