Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 1984: a Quick re-cap  (Read 4032 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: 1984: a Quick re-cap
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »

The only 'robosoldiers' thus far are Drones, which are remote-controlled planes. It'd actually be a lot harder than you might think to change from remote-control to full sentience.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 12:51:25 pm »

Sorry Armok, but you're completely wrong.  Of course every first world military, especially the United States, draws up plans for autonomous warmachines.  It took nearly thirty years just to get a car to drive itself around a marked track, and even that so spotty the Army turned it down.  Anything close to reasonable target recognition, the prerequisite to giving a machine it's own weapon, is decades in the future if it's even possible at all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 01:08:45 pm »

We're about as close to "real" AI as we are to FTL travel.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »

That's not a crazy conspiracy theory Armok, THIS is a crazy conspiracy theory:

Online gaming communities like Xbox live are secretly monitored and recorded by governing bodies. While a ranking system within Xbox Live might make you think that it exists to give a 'bragging rights' reward to good players, it actually exists to throw the very good players into special secret categories. Programs will follow the good players, record their playing, button presses, strategies, and patterns; they'll do this and store it all in a giant database with the information of thousands of other players. This information will be closely analyzed by computers and secret government programmers in order to teach robots combat AI by mimicking the best players in the world. This means that with every online FPS you play, you're slowly helping combat robots of the future learn how to kill, paving the way for a world where all wars are fought by hyper-intelligent robots that can headshot 10 people in 1 second, and then teabags them all in 2 seconds.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:14 pm »

In my opinion, Huxley's Brave New World is far more relevant to us today than 1984. Especially if you're American or a member of most capitalist modern societies.
Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)

This. We don't need Big Brother.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:48 pm »

Sentience? AI? I thought we were taking abaut autonomy. Autonomus robots are near being built, NOT AI. If you put wheels, an engine, and abaut 10 lines of python code on a landmine you got yourself an autonomous lethal robot, it's just not very useful. You don't need to be very smart to kill is someone else build the guns and attach them to you. I'm taking about something about half as smart as a fly, if it has the right reflexes it's still deadlier than a human in many situations because it reacts in 1/10000 the time, and dosn't sleep or get distracted or get moral qualms.
For example, one of the projects I've heard talking about is some kind of turret that is to be placed at some place where you were allowed to kill anyone who entered the area because non miltery were supposed to keep put. There turents were if I remembered/understood supposed to shot everything that moves, be it soldier, civilian, animal, rockslide, or an illusion caused by an ant crawling across the lense.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

[robot that] teabags them all in 2 seconds.
Hey man, you call it crazy but I'm trying to make one of those, not the shooting part though.

It's a robot that teabags you while you try to run away.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »

Currently it's (supposedly?) remote controled, but the only thing needed to make it fully autonomous is a softwere upgrade, and such an upgrade would give several advantages and dosn't sound all that hard to make.
Just how does software to make fixed automatic turrets apply to this?  That's a huge leap.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 03:48:15 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:27:44 am by Stany »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 03:55:19 pm »

@Lego: Well, that was one of the easiest examples to explain. I actually think the drones do the actual flying, navigation, and aiming themselves already anyway, and humans just swich betwen targets and pull the trigger.
The technical stuff is beside the point anyway, the point is that the hardwere alredy exist, and libraries to write the softwere in less than a week also exist. Technology is alredy at the point were you CAN make these robots. In fact, I have chosen examples that are below the fronteir of the feild as I have been talking abaut bettlfeld application. in the labs much better softwere than I've described exist.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »

@Lego: Well, that was one of the easiest examples to explain. I actually think the drones do the actual flying, navigation, and aiming themselves already anyway, and humans just swich betwen targets and pull the trigger.
Nope, human piloting through computers, all the way.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:27:17 am by Stany »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 04:29:53 pm »

Nope, human piloting through computers, all the way.
I think they can pilot themselves at times, but that's no different to the autopilot you'd find in a commercial jet.
Right, that.  Pretty much the equivalent of the baddies in a Gauntlet Legends game:  they go straight for the selected point, and ignore everything else.  Like obstacles.  Definitely a high-altitude feature.
Just so I remember

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 04:48:22 pm »

This is going into some deep conspiracy stuff. I feel that someday the DF guys may overthrow the world and run a Utopia of Dwarf Fortress and kitten mushing. Are there any AMAZING reads that are so brilliant that I should read?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 05:39:09 pm »

Online gaming communities like Xbox live are secretly monitored and recorded by governing bodies. While a ranking system within Xbox Live might make you think that it exists to give a 'bragging rights' reward to good players, it actually exists to throw the very good players into special secret categories. Programs will follow the good players, record their playing, button presses, strategies, and patterns; they'll do this and store it all in a giant database with the information of thousands of other players. This information will be closely analyzed by computers and secret government programmers in order to teach robots combat AI by mimicking the best players in the world. This means that with every online FPS you play, you're slowly helping combat robots of the future learn how to kill, paving the way for a world where all wars are fought by hyper-intelligent robots that can headshot 10 people in 1 second, and then teabags them all in 2 seconds.

Now that's the craziest thing I've ever heard...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5