Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 1984: a Quick re-cap  (Read 4054 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
1984: a Quick re-cap
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:13:33 pm »

I just finished reading 1984 by George Orwell only today. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are there any other books like 1984 that i should read (not theme, but sheer brilliance and relevance)? Also, have you read it/reading it? What are your views and thoughts on the book?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: 1984: a Quick re-cap
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »

In my opinion, Huxley's Brave New World is far more relevant to us today than 1984. Especially if you're American or a member of most capitalist modern societies.
Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:28:11 am by Stany »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »

I think they're both ridiculous stories founded on wildly overblown and starkly rigid appraisals of human nature.  1984 essentially assumes that all people are spineless idiots who can be conned into anything if you push them hard enough; Brave New World cops out of the whole question by presenting a world where all the people are built to be placid conformists from the zygote up.

I put them both in the same realm of literature as the Illuminatus! books.  Hamfisted cautionary tales reflecting a manic illogical conclusion of the speculations of their times.  Except Illuminatus was trying to be funny.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »

Reality would be both of the books mushed together.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:52:01 pm »

I think they're both ridiculous stories founded on wildly overblown and starkly rigid appraisals of human nature.  1984 essentially assumes that all people are spineless idiots who can be conned into anything if you push them hard enough;
Native American massacres, Holocaust, Cambodian genocide, Rwanda... List goes on and on. Those that control information control people- and can make them do horrible things.
Brave New World cops out of the whole question by presenting a world where all the people are built to be placid conformists from the zygote up.
Buy more shit! It's good for you! Go to school to get a good job! Get a good job to have a good retirement! Die! Don't do anything to upset the order set in place! There's no actual meaning to life besides being satisfied with what you're given. Everything is perfect, now move along citizen!

You're right though, they're both cautionary tales.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:58:32 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

One of the reasons to exercise literary license in the first place is to project one's dreams or fears into a world that is fantastic and unreal.  The fact that the world hasn't turned out exactly like 1984 or Brave New World is not the point, it's the parallels that can be drawn to the real world.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature

For your enjoyment. The one's which spring to my mind first are V For Vendetta, Animal Farm, and A Scanner Darkly (in fact just about most Philip K Dick).
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »

I think they're both ridiculous stories founded on wildly overblown and starkly rigid appraisals of human nature.  1984 essentially assumes that all people are spineless idiots who can be conned into anything if you push them hard enough;
Native American massacres, Holocaust, Cambodian genocide, Rwanda... List goes on and on. Those that control information control people- and can make them do horrible things.

And the world took those laying down.
I remember my final essay for last semester of English. Big Brother has taken over the world, what one work that we've read would you choose to save? My answer was effectively "You think I'd live that long?"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »

We are pretty much all spineless idiots who can be conned into anything. At least one of the two, at any rate.
The fish are watching.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »

We are pretty much all spineless idiots who can be conned into anything. At least one of the two, at any rate.
Not all of us.

What do you mean by "can be conned into anything" though?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »

I suppose I should have quoted Aqizzar there, but the thread was so full of that line being quoted I didn't think it necessary. I was just joining the pileup by stating agreement with Kael and Strife.

Sure, not all of us are spineless, or idiots (though there are precious few who are neither), but it takes a lot for those exceptions to make any sort of difference in preventing this sort of thing. People like to say they wouldn't be fooled, or wouldn't play along after they were, but that rarely translates into anything meaningful.
The fish are watching.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »

1984 essentially assumes that all people are spineless idiots who can be conned into anything if you push them hard enough

Interesting choice of word.

Oceania is built on doublethink, and EVERYONE, from the poorest prole to Big Brother himself, have to doublethink, or the entire system collaspes. Even the Inner Party have to hold contradictory ideas, believing that Oceania is both a great utopia and that it's a cynical way for the rich to keep power; that Oceania can easily annihilate its external enemies, and that Oceania has no real external enemies, only internal. It's not just the Middle Party that are being oppressed, even the Inner Party has to keep on living in a prison (both metaphorically and literally...the shortages ensured that even the richest people in Oceania have spartan living conditions) and worse, the Inner Party consent to terrible living standards and keeps on doublethinking, in the hope of feeling the joy of power and glory and being the boot that crushes the human race.

And, really, Goldstein (or is it O' Brien?) made it clear that's it really the Outer Party that suffers the short end of the stick in Oceania. The Proles are free, just like animals are free. They do not pose a threat to the government. But the Outer Party, the Middle Class, are the people who have enough power and motive to launch a movement to overthrow the Inner Party, and this is why the Inner Party oppresses the Outer Party.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:46:29 pm »

One thing that I don't like about 1984 or Brave New World (and maybe I missed this), but neither of them really explains how the world got that way.  There's just a big blank spot where the world and the statistically rational and reactive human race vanishes, replaced by the meat robots the premise of each relies on.  I think the transition is at least as important as how they got that way, and would really make each of them much more believable.  But no, the world just went to bed one night full of intellectual conflict and obstination, and woke up doublethinking and being born in test tubes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:47 pm »

Goldstein/O' Brein stated in his book that the human race was never rational to begin with, history was basically a struggle was always between the Inner Party (the Rich, who wanted to keep power), and the Outer Party (the Middle Class, who wanted to gain power and become the new Rich; they often times tried to use the Poor to help the rebellion against the Rich). What Oceania did was end that struggle, by ensuring that the Outer Party could never again rebel against the Inner Party through the use of repression and doublethink (Goldstein called Oceania's form of government Oligarchical Collectivism and declared that this form of government was also adopted in Eurasia and Eastasia).

In the interrogation scene, O' Brein stated that Oceania was in fact the culmination of previous dictatorships such as the the Stalinists and the Nazis. The only difference is that the pre-WW3 dictatorships thought that they were actually having some other greater purpose to exist (social equality or supporting the master race). Oceania is at least smart enough to admit that the only purpose Oceania serve is to keep the Inner Party in power forever.

I don't remember how Brave New World justified the transition; I do remember a nuclear war, and the Disaster of Cyprus (or was it Crete?). Gah.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:26:13 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5