Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help getting quests?  (Read 882 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help getting quests?
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:30 pm »

Dwarf leaders are easy to find. How do I find the leaders in dark fortresses and elven villages for quests? It seems to take me a half an hour or more of just searching.

Added bonus: When they show me a combat report at the bottom of the screen that has nothing to do with me, how do I figure out where it's coming from? Obviously my character can hear it otherwise there'd be no report, right?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Help getting quests?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »

Dwarf leaders are easy to find. How do I find the leaders in dark fortresses and elven villages for quests? It seems to take me a half an hour or more of just searching.

Added bonus: When they show me a combat report at the bottom of the screen that has nothing to do with me, how do I figure out where it's coming from? Obviously my character can hear it otherwise there'd be no report, right?

Answer to the first is: There is no real trick to finding these elusive jerks other then blind luck. Most people only do human quests because at least the humans stay in the same place.

Answer to the second is:You can't really figure that out without just searching around. "Hearing" it has nothing to do with it because you'll often get combat reports of things dying 12 layers down in a chasm.

There are side programs that may help with this but in straight vanilla DF you're kinda screwed

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:22:34 pm »

Answer to the first is: There is no real trick to finding these elusive jerks other then blind luck. Most people only do human quests because at least the humans stay in the same place.

Answer to the second is:You can't really figure that out without just searching around. "Hearing" it has nothing to do with it because you'll often get combat reports of things dying 12 layers down in a chasm.

There are side programs that may help with this but in straight vanilla DF you're kinda screwed

Thanks, though I was definitely not looking for those answers. :-(

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:41:05 pm »

Even in a human town it took me a while to track down the guy supposedly giving quests, but instead he says stuff like "Worship marriage".  Priests suck I take it.

Edit: Then I go to another town and the first crossbowman I meet gives me a quest. wtf?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:43:44 pm by Brian »

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:24 pm »

In the human towns, the person who gives quests will ALWAYS be upstairs in the tavern you start out in.  Even if it's 3am.  He will usually be called an Elite weapon user, like, Elite Crossbowman for example. 

Oh yeah, priests don't give quests, they just let you join their religion.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

In the human towns, the person who gives quests will ALWAYS be upstairs in the tavern you start out in.  Even if it's 3am.  He will usually be called an Elite weapon user, like, Elite Crossbowman for example. 

Oh yeah, priests don't give quests, they just let you join their religion.

Thanks, this helped a lot. I wouldn't say always, but it wouldn't take more than two tries to find the person there. Occasionally the guy was asleep also, and I have yet to figure out how to wake people up. The first time I met the guy in one town, he was outside (but it was the same guy who was later upstairs in the first building thing)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »

I don't think you can actually wake people up ... short of stabbing them.  Better than an alarm clock imo.  =)
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:08:14 am »

No, they dont wake up even if you stab them.

But if you so as TOUCH their little toe with your hand then they jolt up and start beating the living crap out of you.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:57 am »

So I figured this thread was the best place to post what I just found out (the FAQ hasn't been posted in for a while, it seems to have had its info moved to the wiki).

What should be old hat to folks here is that you can ask any inhabitant of a settlement (whichever race) for a quest, and if they're not a leader they'll give you the name of someone who is (unless they're a priest in which case you get to join their religion).

What I discovered (and I did a bit of searching, nobody seems to have done this, though I doubt I'm really the first to have thought of it) is that you can use Dwarf Companion to teleport your adventurer next to the leader in question. Theoretically you could probably do that without asking someone for a name, as leaders tend to be hardcore and have this reflected in their stats, but it's how I did it. (Don't try it the other way around- ie. teleporting the leader next to you- they're still peaceful but you'll be unable to talk to them.)

As a result, I am now respected as a champion by a demon worshipped by an entire goblin civilization (and me). Time to go kill some elves in the name of Båx!
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.