Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrows keys acting weird  (Read 954 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arrows keys acting weird
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

For some reason on almost every game that involves moving someone, my arrow keys seem to cancle each other out. If I'm moving to the right, and jump, my guy stops moving to the right. This is keeping me from playing SO many games and i just can't find the answer.

I'm using windows XP and it's not the browsers fault because it's on all browsers and even downloadable games.

Please help

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
Re: Arrows keys acting weird
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »

It could be hardware or software, so lets diagnose.

Have you tried another keyboard?

What type of keyboard is it (PS/2 or USB). I know that some of the old PS/2 keyboards had a problem when you tried to press more than 3 or 4 keys, but never two.

Also is it only those button combinations that are affected?
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »

It's more then one keyboard, and i think it's software as it also effect games that use W,A,S,D.

Anything other then movement is fine.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »

Urgency level upped...This is even effecting URU live...I don't like this >_>

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:21 pm »

Try at least two different USB keyboard and cycle through your usb ports?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

Run an Anti Virus scan, free up a little space on the HD, make sure that your drivers are up to date?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:56:36 pm »

Likely buttons conflicting.

Modifier keys are less affected, but if the issue is what I am thinking it is, see how many buttons you need to hold down before some stop responding. It probably isn't many. (That is why I used shift to shoot n a flash game of mine, rather than the earlier used space, because with space and up held, either left or right would stop working. Shift and other modifier keys are generally better, since they were designed to be used in more elaborate combinations, I think)
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:29 am »

Well, it's not the USB ports. What drivers would i have to update for a keyboard?

And the only problem with the keyboard are the directional buttons. If the up button or down button are in use, pressing hte right or left buttons will cancle the up or down buttons making you press them again.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:38:35 am »

And the only problem with the keyboard are the directional buttons. If the up button or down button are in use, pressing hte right or left buttons will cancle the up or down buttons making you press them again.
That's how it is supposed to be...
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:17 am »

Yes, well that is a common part of keyboard design. To keep it simple and keep the cost down, the internal circuitry is designed to read keys in a certain way (limited circuit paths, a key press completes multiple in a unique pattern. If too many keys are held, it can no longer distinguish some of the keys. I might be wrong, but that is what I remember deciding on after looking at a keyboard's circuit and tracing paths. Every key has three or more contact points, one of them a power line, the others in a unique set...)

The keyboard circuit I am refering to is currently in use as "art", and just looking at it now appears to be nearly 20 years old, but still is likely somewhat accurate.

Also:
Quote from: wikipedia
Some low-quality keyboards suffer problems with rollover (that is, when multiple keys are pressed in quick succession); some types of keyboard circuitry will register a maximum number of keys at one time. This is undesirable for games (designed for multiple keypresses, e.g. casting a spell while holding down keys to run) and undesirable for extremely fast typing (hitting new keys before the fingers can release previous keys). A common side effect of this shortcoming is called "phantom key blocking": on some keyboards, pressing three keys simultaneously sometimes resulted in a 4th keypress being registered.

Modern keyboards prevent this from happening by blocking the 3rd key in certain key combinations, but while this prevents phantom input, it also means that when two keys are depressed simultaneously, many of the other keys on the keyboard will not respond until one of the two depressed keys is lifted. With better keyboards designs, this seldom happens in office programs, but it remains a problem in games even on expensive keyboards, due to wildly different and/or configurable key/command layouts in different games.

The keyboard switch matrix is often drawn with horizontal wires and vertical wires in a grid which is called a matrix circuit. It has a switch at some or all intersections, much like a multiplexed display. Almost all keyboards have only the switch at each intersection, which causes "ghost keys" and "key jamming" when multiple keys are pressed (see rollover (key) ). Certain, often more expensive keyboards have a diode between each intersection, allowing the keyboard microcontroller to accurately sense any number of simultaneous keys being pressed, without generating erroneous ghost keys.

Maybe those could answer your question?
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:54:33 pm »

That's how it is supposed to be...

No it's not, lets take myst, URU online in example. If you want to run then turn slightly to the left, you would have to press left, let go of the forward directional button, (remember this is not just arrow keys it's any settings for directions)let go of the left directional button, then press the forward button again, instead of just tapping the left button.