Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do i make aquifers GTFO?  (Read 2583 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i make aquifers GTFO?
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

It doesn't matter to me if it involves downloading a program or editing the raws, I just want them to go away. Can you get rid of them?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: How do i make aquifers GTFO?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »

If you want aquifers to stop existing completely, there's a tag in each applicable soil or stone. Remove it, then (I think) regen. No idea what it is.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:45:15 pm »

funnily enough, it's the [AQUIFER] tag.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:47:40 pm »

Die aquifiers! DIE!
I've played a guitar with my penis.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:54:10 pm »

If you have already embarked and remove the aquifer tags from the raws any un-revealed aquifer layers will be gone, however tiles that have been revealed will continue to generate water...  This is a rather useful feature if you want a nice underground water source without much hassle.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »

Ah, and you could put it back in after you've smoothed out walls in order to properly seal the area. Neat, but if I embark with aquifers, I mean to use them.... or abandon when it all goes horribly wrong...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:26 pm »

Protip:embark with mountains in the area, stone rarely has aquifers.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:28:33 am »

Hehe i loved the aquafier on my last map..probably cause of the long drought that killed my previous fortress...the easiest way to deal with an aquafier is to simply dig around it...oh and embark on a mountain with an aquafier easier to get stone and ore that way
multi-level aquafiers also enable you to set up flowing water underground(my map had about 6-8 layers of aquafiers o.O) by dumping one into the other.
Also fun is when you have an above ground aquafier you can start project noah aka flood the world...make sure to builld high walls around your fortress or seal yourself in.

In short aquafiers are simply a fun easy way to make complex water traps/aquaducts/mechanisms/power/ect without all the hassles of rivers(like their fps drain or carp)

Thats my opinion at least never embarked on a flatland map yet so i cant speak on how easy it is there(We are dwarves why would we build away from a mountain?)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:04 am »

Thats my opinion at least never embarked on a flatland map yet so i cant speak on how easy it is there(We are dwarves why would we build away from a mountain?)

I'm trying my first attempt to break through an aquifer at the moment. Thing is the map is totally flat (all 1 level of altitude) and the aquifer seems to be AT LEAST 3 levels deep.

So I started with the vengeful donut movie http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-120-aquifercmv and I'm expanding it a bit to try to break through layers below the first.

If I can get a mechanic working, and then work out how gear assemblies work, all should be good.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:55 am »

Unless it's Conglomerate (which ALWAYS seems to be an aquifer) or Sandstone (in certain areas, not always aquifers). I realize that you used the "rarely" for that purpose, I was just clarifying it for people who didn't know.

To the OP: I have actually come to greatly appreciate Aquifers. They're fairly easy to get through (once you know how to mess with 'em), and they're endless sources of fresh water (and indoor fishing!) for your dwarves.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:56 am »

It doesn't matter to me if it involves downloading a program or editing the raws, I just want them to go away. Can you get rid of them?

omg, I hate them too! Kill them! But I'm going to play a fortress killing aquifer forever with magma. Muah. Maybe I'll be able to dig out a huge lake and th en pour liquid magma all over it muahaha!
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:54 am »

Unless it's Conglomerate (which ALWAYS seems to be an aquifer) or Sandstone (in certain areas, not always aquifers). I realize that you used the "rarely" for that purpose, I was just clarifying it for people who didn't know.

To the OP: I have actually come to greatly appreciate Aquifers. They're fairly easy to get through (once you know how to mess with 'em), and they're endless sources of fresh water (and indoor fishing!) for your dwarves.

Yea, conglomerate always has one, even if the [AQUIFER] tag is removed. I just embarked on an ocean and removed all aquifer token, yet the layer of conglomerate still was wet (yet I received no aquifer warning, just the ocean one). At least the biome and layers of the nearby shore will not have any aquifers.

Quick question: does aquifer water need desalinization on ocean fortresses?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:25 am »

As far as the game is concerned, if you have saltwater there everything is made of saltwater, the aquifers, wagon smashing waves, and obviously the ocean itself

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:50 am »

Alright, thats what I thought. I went through the whole desalinization process, then hit the aquifer. FFFUUUUUUUUU-

At least I didnt waste all of that effort.

kungasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

lies, im a nub at DF (usually end up abandoning shortly after the dwarf caravan (elf, if im lucky) cause i usually run out of food or various other problems (actually had a sea lamprey drown my woodcutter once, only one with an axe D:) >.>) but i've always embarked at an area with a combination of mountains, forests/any land type with trees and a river or brook and i actually have a world where the major mountain range has friggin aquifers EVERYWHERE, even in the dead center of it D:
Your a dwarf dammit! The game gives you a challenge and you over come it in the most confusing and resource expending way possible!
Pages: [1] 2