Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm writing a rather novel novel.  (Read 1390 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
I'm writing a rather novel novel.
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:40 am »

The idea is to write a 'novel' that is so awesome that people just can't handle the funk. My protagonists so far include....

William Wallace
Liver Eatin' Johnson
Dash Gunmetal (If Cthulhu approves)
Blenda
and Nikolai Tesla.

The setting lies in the future, and includes a city called Technochtitlan, inhabited by borg-aztecs. The Vikings (when they landed in Newfoundland) had actually won their war against the natives, and now are running the show in the Atlantic Area.

I need bad guys, and possibly other places and things to add in.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: I'm writing a rather novel novel.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:42 am »

You may not put Dash Gunmetal in your story.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:00 am »

You need Nazis. They need to do extremely stupid things for evil, and when asked why respond with a surprised face and "Because were Nazis!".
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:04 am »

You may not put Dash Gunmetal in your story.

- 95% of the things I say are jokes, sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek, or outright fabrication.  Treat them as such.

I'd claim that is one of the 95% and count it as approval.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:53 am »

It's not.  You already took the story, modified it, and put it in a different forum.  You're not taking characters now.
Shoes...

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

Drama for drama's sake is always fun.

Popcorn, anyone?
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

Oh, like Barbarossa won't concede that. He's reasonable.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »

You better make this awesome barbarossa.

I'm watching you!

If you so much try and make something like a light twinky, you are doomed.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

You need Nazis. They need to do extremely stupid things for evil, and when asked why respond with a surprised face and "Because were Nazis!".

Replace "Nazis" with Space Nazis and "do extremely stupid things for evil" with clone Space Hitler.

Also, substitute Dash Gunmetal for Samuel L. Jackson. That team needs some motherfuckin' minority representation.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »

and Nikolai Tesla.

That's all I need to hear. How about having Tesla kick Edison's arse?

If you need a "mary suegod-like race of awesome dudes IN SPACE" I have one you can borrow.

EDIT: Oh, and they also come with their own Unspeakably Evil Bad Guys who could team up with the Space Nazis.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:21:01 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:26:08 pm »

So, it's basicaly the same concept as Dr. Mc. Ninja?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:29:27 pm »

There doesn't seem to be enough to really come up with an appropriate enemy.

Is it science fiction? Science fantasy? Steam punk? Cyperpunk? Lasers?

What do you mean by the viking controlling the Atlantic?

The aztecs manage to brush off the invasion from the spanish? Are they the predominate central american civilization, or are inca still about? Are they being noted because they are going to be the major country power that comes in play with the story? Or is that an erroneous idea you had and shared because its cool?

There doesn't seem to be any theme with the chosen protangist, and its hard to think of what challenges would approate for a group, without an explanation why they aren't dead, why they are working together, it also adds difficulty to what challenge they should face. A genre would be helpful with this, is pulp fiction, noir? 

They seem to be chosen for the sake of being outlandish, I've never been a fan of random for the sake random. Few exceptions though.

Also, this team needs some whiteys in as all the characters presented so far are minorities. Scottish, Netherlander, and Serbain with only one whitey. As a whitey, I can't relate to this group.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:43:30 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 01:19:14 am »

I'll just replace Dash Gunmetal with Samuel L. Jackson, then.

The story takes place in the 2560's, and there are 4 major powers, mainly based off of 'what if?' ideas I've had while studying history.

Team "Scary Mongols" is the result of the mongol invasions reaching the Atlantic coast, giving them control of most of Eurasia.

Team "Roman Moonmen" Makes up the 'good' team. The Romans have a colony on the Moon, and recently began recolonizing the Earth, starting in Australia. Nobody else knows this yet, so a special ops team (the main characters) is being assembled from the greatest people in history in order to defend the Last Republic and smite the Commies.

Team "Viking Overlord" is a union of Denmark, Norway, and Iceland, and they got enough reinforcements into Newfoundland to crush all before them, and now they control enough island chains and continents to put heavy tariffs on all sea trade in the Atlantic and (parts of) the Pacific.

Team "Robo-Aztec" is a civilization of Futuristic Borg-Aztecs from FURTHER in the future who want to assimilate everyone else into their commune. In 1492, Colombus sailed the ocean blue. And got his butt kicked by these guys. They control South and Central America.

Current 5-Human team stands at...

Samuel L. Jackson
William Wallace
Nikolai Tesla
Liver Eatin' Johnson
[Insert Badass]

The characters are chosen for their awesomeness. The story will be action heavy, as there is no other way to deal with Robo-Aztecs, Vikings, and Mongol Hordes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 02:02:28 am »

Why, it's missing the most vital thing ever: Robo Da Vinci!

Created by none other then the man himself in order to defend the world from the forces of irresponsible usage of the sciences that it was also made to spread. Combinding the mans omnidisciplinary studies with the cold mechanical mind of a clock, it is here to overthrow the mongols in order to bring peace to the world, through SCIENCE.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:14 am »

You need Jack Churchill.
Or that Finnish guy called the White Death.
Pages: [1] 2