Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scampers Megabeast Concept  (Read 1730 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scampers Megabeast Concept
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:14:16 pm »

Certainly not a high priority idea, but I was thinking today about a few potentially amusing 'Scampers' megabeast concepts.

Essentially, instead of being a single form of Megabeast, Scampers would take the form of at least three potential megabeasts that would appear to the player exactly the same, but would have a variety of behaviors to display.  Essentially, whenever 'Scampers' arrived on the map, it would act as if any Megabeast showed up.  The player would have no idea which form of Scampers had arrived until it displayed the behavior associated with that form.  As I said, I can think of three :

Bad Scampers! -   This is what you'd expect of a Megabeast.  An evil beast of doom and death.  While perhaps not particularly as strong as any other Megabeast, it would be incredibly fast - thus getting in hits more often and moving with insanity.    This is pretty straightforward.

Sweet Scampers - This version of Scampers would act like a super kitten to all dwarves for a period of time before wandering away from the fortress.  Scampers would appear, run around your fort, chase down vermin (and possibly goblin/kobolds/treehuggers elf bastards who attack, including ambushers), and bring them to dwarves, while also generating happy thoughts for any dwarf Scampers happens to run across.  Basically a wonderfully good benefit for a month or year - whatever.

Sleepy Scampers - Lame name, I know, but this form of Scampers represents a very realistic cat.  Essentially, Scampers would enter the Fortress, immediately search for the most used traffic area of the fortress, promptly go there, and sleep.  For months.  While asleep, Scampers is essentially a wall and impassable (lest you awaken instead the wrath of Bad Scampers!).

Probably more concepts, but I like the idea of a schizophrenic Scampers.   Possibly other Scamper personalities as well could show up.  Who knows.  Have at it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:18:55 pm by Dekon »

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scampers Megabeast Concept
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:03:06 am »

Well I like the idea of a schizophrenic megabeast.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:10:23 am »

Evil scampers...
Like super dwarven babies but more to do with cats.
When a kitten is born it has a % to be a "scamps".
Now a scamps will act like a normal cat except it will have a birth rath of 1000%, efficently DESTROYING your frame rate...
Thus making it the most horrific megabeast...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »

Shouldn't this be in modding?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:34:34 am »

That's a good idea.

but I prefer jacking up bronze collossus damage to 1000 and making them storm my fortress and have them the size of a kobold.

Soldier A: Aw, look at the cute bronze kobold.
Soldier B: OH GOD SHOOT IT!
Soldier A: What?
BC Kobold: *tap*
*Soldier A explodes*
7 Soldiers: OH GOD RUN BEFORE IT KILLS EVERYONE!

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:31:54 am »

Bad Scampers! -   This is what you'd expect of a Megabeast.  An evil beast of doom and death.  While perhaps not particularly as strong as any other Megabeast, it would be incredibly fast - thus getting in hits more often and moving with insanity.    This is pretty straightforward.

It might make more sense for the bad kitty to basically behave like "friendly" BD2 megabeasts do currently.  That is, they wander around, ignore your dwarves, and totally destroy upholstry, furniture, wallpaper, etc. :P
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »

Beging Scampers: stands next to a food pile/Kitchen with the job beg food.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:13 pm »

That's a good idea.

but I prefer jacking up bronze collossus damage to 1000 and making them storm my fortress and have them the size of a kobold.

*Soldier A explodes*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

That's a good idea.

*Soldier A explodes*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
I love that movie.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:42 pm »

Shouldn't this be in modding?

Yeah, you'll be able to use castes with identical names and appearance to do things sorta like this with things in the next version. I've been planning on applying this concept to some of my HFS in my total conversion mod.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:34 am »

Someone has modded at least one OK, I'm wrong, I thought the Assorted Silliness mod had it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets