Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Satyrs...  (Read 3324 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Satyrs...
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »

Hello Dwarf-goers

I've a problem. My fort is based around hunting Unicorns. The presence of Satyrs eliminates the possibility of Unicorns spawning. Satyrs are not targetted by my military dwarves, nor my hunters.

Given their propensity to move around a lot, I don't think drowning them is an option.

Suggestions?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Satyrs...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »

They should still be "dangerous animals" so arm yourself some marksdwarves and tell them to harass and chase opponents.

I don't know how fast satyrs are, that's why the marksdwarves. Though you can just draft your hunters if they're quick enough to catch unicorns!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »

Tried in 40d16, but my marksdwarves walk right up and then they and the Satyrs just frolic around a bit.

My military dwarves must have gotten too much sun!

Edit: Some investigation leads me to believe the following:

The ethics of my civ do not allow me to kill neutrals? entity members? In any case, Satyrs [can_learn] and [can_speak], the only reasons I can see why it would not be possible to kill them :/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:11:58 pm by Lidhuin »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:15:46 pm »

"Satyrs are intelligent, half man-half goat creatures, found in good or fanciful biomes. They are dangerous opponents when disturbed. Fortunately, they are not usually aggressive. "

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Satyr

If you keep bugging them and keeping dwarves close by they might be "disturbed" .. but I suppose you could mod them to likes_fighting or something .. I'm not good with that stuff. Never seen satyrs either. Are they holding anything?

Something I have noticed however is that animals sometimes return to the same area as earlier. Let's say you see wolves exiting the map at point B. I've captured wolves by placing traps at point B and wait for them to return. Was I on to something or did I get lucky? Not sure. But you could try it.

After they're captured (or crushed in stonefall traps) you'll get your unicorns. or more satyrs.
I have an art blog now.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:42:31 pm »

I'll try capturing. Difficult, but a nice challenge.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »

Scratch that, Satyrs are really easy to catch, since they roam *everywhere*. I've already caught four and there are about a dozen on the map now. I wonder what I should do with them. Satyr Zoo, perhaps?

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »

Satyr-Sacrificing Tower based in your main dining hall, perhaps?
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »

dungeon master, then satyr breeding program, keep your butchers employed!

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »

It's obvious, isn't it? Build an umbrella-shaped construction rooted in the depths of a volcano that spreads out over your embark site. From there you demoralize incoming siege squads by dropping satyrs on them at terminal velocity.  ;D
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »

The S.A.T.Y.R. Siegebreaker missile. Now available with horns for perfect guidance!

To start off with, I'm gonna catch as many as I can (I believe there is a population cap for every creature, in which case 15-30 for Satyrs seems to be about it). Once I've done that, if I get unicorns again, I think I'll let them live... just so that I can get Unicorns roaming again. Since they're not hostile and my dwarves aren't scared of them, I could have an open zoo of them! (behind an "electrified" fence of course).

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:49 am »

Since this might be a spoiler I'll add the tags.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The satyrs might work similarily (with the whole "disturb" thing) so if you execute a few the others could go postal.
I have an art blog now.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:11 am »

Ignoring for a moment that the Unicorn death toll so far is 6 dead hunters, they seem to be rather casual in 40d. My current master hunter has about thirty plus Unicorn kills. Wouldn't be surprised if one or two of my other hunters had the same (although the rest probably died on their first hunt. Usually due to forgetting to arm them with crossbows).

However, it seems that I have captured about 17 satyrs and no more wild animals are spawning. Execution it is!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:32 pm »

Dwarf fortress forums: where we round up kind, benign creatures and execute them.
I have an art blog now.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:27 pm »

Dwarf fortress forums: where we round up kind, benign creatures and execute them.
Well if we didn't do it who would?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »

Unicorns seem to be like any other "passive" creature: they'll have a variety of reactions upon seeing a Dwarf, with the most common being fear and occasionally experiencing anger or (the worst) rage.  And like most other "passives", they'll go violent if they "see" you kill one of their own kind.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2