Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question regarding time consumption  (Read 1537 times)

Otenka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question regarding time consumption
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »

Hello everyone, I'm currently trying out DW I found a great tutorial about it and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm checking the wiki and I'm very aware there's no concret goal in this game if not only to see my fortress eventual demise.

What I'm asking is probably this: On average, how much time does one fortress needs to eventually wither and die out?

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding time consumption
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »

Never...

As long as you meet the needs of your Dwarves, by keeping them fed (And hydrated with booze), happy, and protected from sieges.

Even if you forget to do one of the above requirements to keep a fortress running, it's still hard to tell how long until it withers away

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:44:22 pm by Beefree »
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Otenka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:41 pm »

Is that so? Hmm.. ok then. I thought the moto "losing is fun" is meant to be taken literally and that every fortress is doomed to die at some point. I thought that was a really beautifull philosophy much reflecting the temporarly aspect of real life.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »

Usually, fortress deaths are due to player boredom and sabotage, or the FPS monster.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Otenka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »

Ok then, thanks everyone, I was overthinking as usual, still, it's a fine game.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:41 pm »

If you resist the urge to engrave everything, tantrum spirals become more often an occurrence.

A tantrum spiral being where everyone starts tantrumming as if they're toddlers again... or worse.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 05:05:07 pm »

Sure, every fortress ends, either by abandonment (player boredom) or everyone dying. I never had a fort older than 10 years, because I can't really concentrate on anything for more than a few weeks, but people have been running forts for 50, 100 or 200 years without problems.
You can play this game as a sandbox and have fun (no capitals) until you eventually get bored or you can pose yourself challenges and have lots of Fun (capitals, as in "Losing is Fun") ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:10:07 pm »

...I found a great tutorial ...

No more "fun" for you!  If it's that tutorial by TinyPirate you'll probably never loose again (unless you accidentally carve into a magma pipe or river).

The way that I pass the time in DF is to make awesome towers and walkways made out of specific materials.  Currently I'm making this green tower with a murky pool on top of it.  It's looking sweet.

Download Dwarf Visualizer (think that's the one) and make sure you have a graphics pack installed (think I'm sporting Mayday's)- it really helps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:52:31 pm »

MEre survival is easy in the current version.  Once you're learned the basics of the game, Fun comes from setting personal challenges.  These usually involve absurdly large and pointless mega-constructions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »

Is that so? Hmm.. ok then. I thought the moto "losing is fun" is meant to be taken literally and that every fortress is doomed to die at some point. I thought that was a really beautifull philosophy much reflecting the temporarly aspect of real life.
Just wait for the next version, should be a lot more Fun.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:35 pm »

The new version is going to be epic Fun. (and fun.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:29 am »

Yeah, the 2d-version was about eventual death of the fort. There you HAD to find your end because you had to dig in one direction, and attacks from chasms and rivers were endless. When we moved to 3d Toady One had to remove a lot of "features" like that, or rather to make them into "separate features" which became optional. But with the development various dangers of "digging too deep" come back :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 12:33:19 pm »

Or in other words, you ain't seen nothin yet.  :D
In about a month or so when the new version comes out, there will be Fun times aplenty! Until then, most of the fun is in giant deathtraps, megaconstructions, and other player set goals. Alternatively, if you wish for more challege you could download a mod such as orcs or any one of numerous other mods which make the game much more challenging. Or you can mod the raws and make everything painfully difficult.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 03:11:18 pm »

Ok then, thanks everyone, I was overthinking as usual, still, it's a fine game.

And they were overstating it too :).

I just had quite nice tantrum spiral happen and it seems that my fotress is doomed: Lots of kids pushed my population up "dutchry" level and sieges started comming regulary. Eventually first two military dwarves died. Since everyone is friends/family with everyone else, couple of unhappy thoughts happened, tantrum from spouse which got beaten as result, cue in more sieges/deaths/tantrums. My fort is at edge of doom as each siege removes one or two soldiers which impacts population back home and losses me another two dwarves.

Drafting from population is not possible: enough dwarves went insane/melancholic that food production is endangered (not that easy to feed 100 dwarves when your cook, miller, farmer and brewer decide to commind synchronized moat-jump suicide.). Besides, they would not be trained fast enough to be able to face sieges (champions that oh so regularly die are ledendary armor/shield/hammer/crossbow/wrestler trained. Still does not save them from well aimed arrows it seems.). And I still have 100+ population which consists mostly of children now so i get apropriatelly sized sieges and multi-group ambushes.

Doom is guarantted: eventually, i will run out of soldiers and goblins will butcher all children once quickly drafted milita is dead.

If only migrants stopped calling my fort "cursed deathtrap" and stopped avoiding it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »

Send the children out to face them! With their parents as the militia! Then both halves of your problem will be taken care of. Only the single will survive!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2