Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dig Dwarfier - a fully graphical (modified) Dig Deeper pack for 40d16  (Read 25927 times)

Pathos

Re: Dig Dwarfier - a fully graphical (modified) Dig Deeper pack for 40d16
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 11:47:04 am »

By the way, who did the kobold graphics? Need to beg them to make a full set / ask for permission to edit them.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »

By the way, who did the kobold graphics? Need to beg them to make a full set / ask for permission to edit them.

I believe Cles is responsible for the original Kobold sprites (see here), but I'm unsure.  I grabbed em when I saw them floating around in the beefmo thread.  Beefmo's original kobolds are repackaged as gnomes in my mod, as they didn't jive with most people's conception of kobolds as doglike, but the artwork was just too cool to go unused.  Additional non-military sprites are by me, but it's mostly just cut and paste with beefmo item sprites, only a little original work.

I'm a big remix culture guy, so I'm 100% cool with you using them for whatever you'd like.  Be sure to package em up and re-release 'em when you're done, so that someone else can tweak those, too.

I've got a few other things on my plate with this mod that I'd like to take care of first, but are there any specific professions you needed sprites for?  I'd be happy to give it a crack.

Pathos

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 02:51:46 pm »

I believe Cles is responsible for the original Kobold sprites (see here), but I'm unsure.  I grabbed em when I saw them floating around in the beefmo thread.  Beefmo's original kobolds are repackaged as gnomes in my mod, as they didn't jive with most people's conception of kobolds as doglike, but the artwork was just too cool to go unused.  Additional non-military sprites are by me, but it's mostly just cut and paste with beefmo item sprites, only a little original work.

I'm a big remix culture guy, so I'm 100% cool with you using them for whatever you'd like.  Be sure to package em up and re-release 'em when you're done, so that someone else can tweak those, too.

I've got a few other things on my plate with this mod that I'd like to take care of first, but are there any specific professions you needed sprites for?  I'd be happy to give it a crack.

I was just hoping to make the kobold part of Dig Dwarfier a bit more graphically enabled. =p I've done a few recolours for guards and royal guards and made champions distinct, but other than that I can do nothing. Not a clue how to do spriting this good.

I've made it so the weapons change from stone to copper on champion rank and gave the recruits light-green warpaint so that they don't stick out, compared to the brightly coloured champions. Also messed around with the ear rings a bit.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »

You know, those look enough like cats that you could probably use them in the Cat mod.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:34 pm »

I was just hoping to make the kobold part of Dig Dwarfier a bit more graphically enabled. =p I've done a few recolours for guards and royal guards and made champions distinct, but other than that I can do nothing. Not a clue how to do spriting this good.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've made it so the weapons change from stone to copper on champion rank and gave the recruits light-green warpaint so that they don't stick out, compared to the brightly coloured champions. Also messed around with the ear rings a bit.

I quite like that, actually.  Good work!

Would you mind if I rolled those into tomorrows release?  I have some graphical bugfixes and a lot of tile changes to go over, but adding those entries should be pretty trivial.

Pathos

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »

I quite like that, actually.  Good work!

Would you mind if I rolled those into tomorrows release?  I have some graphical bugfixes and a lot of tile changes to go over, but adding those entries should be pretty trivial.

Sounds good! The graphics entry is:

I think ranger job sprites might be a bit broken, and a lot of sprites are missing for non-default jobs.

You know, those look enough like cats that you could probably use them in the Cat mod.

I've personally got no problem with people using them for cats, but mal / whoever made them might. =p
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:53:17 pm by Pathos »

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

I think ranger job sprites might be a bit broken, and a lot of sprites are missing for non-default jobs.

That's mostly by design.  When I pushed this mod out the door, I stuck to doing sprites for only the jobs kobolds could actually hold in their default Kobold Camp entity entries.  When you play them, you still receive immigrants with those impossible professions, but as they're unable to skill up, they're mostly used either as a workaround to build otherwise impossible things (smelters, etc.), or are set to work doing something legitimate and their profession sprite changes anyhow.

Or at least that's how I imagine it works, as I haven't had the time to play with them much.

Fleshing out the other sprites is on my agenda, but it's still a low priority.  It would be nice to see what a kobold mechanic would look like, but as they're incapable of actually functioning in that profession (without modification), it falls behind doing real profession sprites for orcs, dark elves, etc.  Profession colored immigrants will just have to do for now, unless someone feels like taking them on themselves, which I wholly encourage.

I think they'd work, and I certainly approve of anyone doing so, but aesthetically I'd prefer cats with whiskers and more triangular ears.

Pathos

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:14 pm »

That's mostly by design.  When I pushed this mod out the door, I stuck to doing sprites for only the jobs kobolds could actually hold in their default Kobold Camp entity entries.  When you play them, you still receive immigrants with those impossible professions, but as they're unable to skill up, they're mostly used either as a workaround to build otherwise impossible things (smelters, etc.), or are set to work doing something legitimate and their profession sprite changes anyhow.

Or at least that's how I imagine it works, as I haven't had the time to play with them much.

Fleshing out the other sprites is on my agenda, but it's still a low priority.  It would be nice to see what a kobold mechanic would look like, but as they're incapable of actually functioning in that profession (without modification), it falls behind doing real profession sprites for orcs, dark elves, etc.  Profession colored immigrants will just have to do for now, unless someone feels like taking them on themselves, which I wholly encourage.

I think that's part of the fun playing as these guys, though. Having to wait around until you get a migrant who's watched dwarves at work or whatever. It gives you a real sense of achievement when you get a kobold who's capable of making mechanisms and basically opens up an entirely new aspect of the game for you.

Those kobolds become as precious, if not more so, as the starting kobolds do. You have to deal with their faults instead of going "Eh, not legendary and he has personality traits I don't like. BRIDGE LAUNCH!"

At least, that's how I feel. =p

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

I think that's part of the fun playing as these guys, though. Having to wait around until you get a migrant who's watched dwarves at work or whatever. It gives you a real sense of achievement when you get a kobold who's capable of making mechanisms and basically opens up an entirely new aspect of the game for you.

Those kobolds become as precious, if not more so, as the starting kobolds do. You have to deal with their faults instead of going "Eh, not legendary and he has personality traits I don't like. BRIDGE LAUNCH!"

At least, that's how I feel. =p

Hmmm... That's a really interesting point I hadn't considered.  I'll see what I can put out tonight, it seems like it might be a good idea to at least do sprites for the high-value positions, so that people who play that way have something nice to look at.

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 12:59:06 am »

Preliminary kobold work from tonight:

I'm not sold on all of them, but everything is there, which is cool.  Let me know what you think, and I'll roll them into tomorrows update.

Pathos

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 02:09:26 am »

They look good! The only problems that I can see are to do with how undistinct my elite warriors are. =p

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:29 pm »

They look good! The only problems that I can see are to do with how undistinct my elite warriors are. =p

Well, we've got options we could do instead of just the earring.  A skull helmet (esp. for royal guards), a copper sash, buff them out a bit, or some combination thereof.  Here's a mockup:

Original size if you wanna mess with it:

Pathos

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:13 pm »

Well, we've got options we could do instead of just the earring.  A skull helmet (esp. for royal guards), a copper sash, buff them out a bit, or some combination thereof.  Here's a mockup:

Original size if you wanna mess with it:

I think the golden sash on royal guards and the skull helmet on normal guards would work. And buff all the elite warriors up to that. Looks good.

Got a graphics text for the other one? I want to see how it works in game.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:35:49 pm by Pathos »

mal

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CLOAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 02:09:31 pm »

I think the golden sash on royal guards and the skull helmet on normal guards would work. And buff all the elite warriors up to that. Looks good.

Got a graphics text for the other one? I want to see how it works in game.

Sure.  Use this sprite, though:

And the graphics text:

Pathos

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »

The image is very blurry. It means kobolds are walking around with big pink blocks behind them. xD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9