Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1005 times)

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:19:42 pm »

1) If I sneak into a town at night and strangle/bash the crap out of people while there sleeping, will it make the town hostile to me?

Because I remember an Elf adventurer I had, he would sneak into human towns at night and choke the crap out of them/bash their face in with an -Iron Flail- that he stole off a guard whilst they slept in there homes. And he ran into a guard and could still talk to him, was this a glitch or will the town not mind you there if they don't see you killing people?

2) How deadly is throwing?

I have a great idea of training an adventurer to Legendary throwing and go into towns and steal the coins from the shops, and start fighting off all the "Peasants" and "Lower Class" citizens trying to kill a noble such as himself with coins.

3) Sneaking, when do they notice you?

I'm wondering just how useful sneaking is, how close can you get before they notice you and overall what good uses there are for sneaking, and will killing people with flung currency from hiding reveal me? Or will they be oblivious to the money flinging former noble killing half the population?

4) Wrestling, how does it work?

I know that you can break the arms and legs with joint locks, and strangle the crap out of people, but what does grabbing there clothing do? How do you rip it off and beat them to death with it? And how can I have a higher chance of eye-gouging?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

I can't help with much as I am a newbie adventurer myself, but I do know how to eye gouge.
You have to grab their face with an empty hand, not arm or item, hand.  Then it is an option to go on a pinching frenzy on him or gouge an individual eye.
Hope that helped.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:53:25 pm »

1) If I sneak into a town at night and strangle/bash the crap out of people while there sleeping, will it make the town hostile to me?

Yes, town guards are psychic.  In fact, all civs are psychic.  You do one wrong to anybody in the civ and you're DOA.

2) How deadly is throwing?

Extremely deadly, particularly with coins.  Then again, so is sand and vomit, so, in short; very.

3) Sneaking, when do they notice you?

Depends, they generally only notice you if you are within melee striking distance, so right next to them, but there are a few outliers where low skill sneak users will be spotted at range.  Throwing while sneaking CAN work, but, it has it's limitations:  If the target is laying down or not an enemy (i.e. humans you haven't attacked yet) you can't throw at them until you actually get a melee off then REsneak.  However, the REAL value (to me) of sneaking is the resneak.  Attack something, then run off, go around a tree, sneak, then back off and let them look around confused. 

4) Wrestling, how does it work?

If you grab someone's clothing, weapon, or shield, you can TAKE it from them.  Once you have a grab on it, hit shift-i, scroll down (the text will be red) and you'll see their item in your screen.  Hit it's letter and it will ask if you want to gain possession, then you will have the regular skill-check to see if it works. 

Joint locks can be strange, for some reason you can't do joint locks and breaks on certain creatures (usually 4 legged) but that MAY depend on your wrestling skill.

Strangling and eye gouging are easy and fun!  About eye gouging, the previous commenter said grab the "face", you actually want to grab the head, but, that's semantics, as long as you grab with your hand, and make sure nothing is already in your hand, then you will have the option to gouge.

Best of luck mate, you're gonna need it =)
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »

Alright! Thanks guys, I'm off to go gouge out childrens eyes and kill people with coins now.  :)
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »

1. From my experience, they will attack you if you have attacked a member of the civ (news travels fast?).

2. Throwing is VERY deadly, especially at high skill, and especially if you throw weapons/arrows/bolts, and most markedly: it doesn't de-stealth you.

3. Ambushing is horribly incredible, especially if you use throwing/bow/crossbow. As to where they will see you, depends on how high your skill is.

4. Wrestling is strange. It usually amounts to a lot of grabbing. The only way to gouge eyes reliably is to grab your foe by the head with an empty hand, manually, and manually gouge their eyes with the wrestling menus. Clothing is a little different, for there is a high chance you will grab a foe by an article of clothing. Beware wrestling with animals, for they have no joints, though strangling is almost always an option.

There are two methods for undressing your enemies:
i) When wrestling with an enemy's clothing, press Shift + i (I), which will go into your item manipulation menu, and scroll through until you find the item in red. Select that item, and select "Gain possession".

ii) When wrestling the article of clothing, Move away.

I bid you luck in your adventures, I hope I was of help.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.