Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing pack animals  (Read 627 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Editing pack animals
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:45:52 pm »

Hey, I want to know what creatures to mod if I want my pack animals to be beastly and not limit the amount of stuff elves and others can bring. I'd also like to know what changes to make.

I did do some topic searching, but the list was too populated to effectively search because anything related to "Pack Animal" picks up on the tags in all of the topics.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Editing pack animals
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »

creatures to mod would be camals, mules, Donkeys, Horses, Muskoxs. some of them are wagon puller I think Horses and muskoxs are the ones I know 100% are wagon pullers. But then again I don't understand your full question, I'll check in the morning to see that you verfiy chow

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:00:59 am »

I want to modify the carrying capacities of the pack animals. And I want to know where to find the entries for them.
The sigs topic:

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:41:28 am »

I believe that the relevant tag for carrying capacity is [trADE_CAPACITY:x]; wagons have it at 15000. If you just add [trADE_CAPACITY:45000] to every pack animal, you should get a lot more stuff. The limit will still be there, but will be ludicrously high; I don't believe you can actually remove it altogether, since the pack animals don't have it by default. Actually I just looked and all of the pack animals do have it, at between 1500 (donkeys) and 3000 (camels), with all others at 2000. I'd guess that it defaults to 0 if not present, though I suppose not including it is worth a try. It might default to infinity, after all.

The relevant entries should be in creature_domestic, creature_large_tropical, and creature_large_tundra. Muskoxen are in tundra, camels in tropical, and the other pack animals in domestic. Also, wagons are in creature_equipment if you want to mod them to carry more as well.

...I seem to remember someone somewhere saying that there actually is a set amount that the traders try to bring and that carrying capacity is the sole limiter. That was supposedly why elves who are happy with you bring only cloth; they quene a lot of cloth, put bins on the animals first, and fill up the weight limit with cloth bins before adding anything else. Radically increasing carrying capacity should basically make traders bring everything they wanted to.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:44:12 am by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:30 am »

Thank you! That is exactly the information I needed!

That last paragraph is a pretty accurate description of my motivation. I've read the same thing in multiple places. As long as there's basically nothing to do with your goods but hoard and trade, I'd like to open trading up as much as possible. I see no reason for an oversight in programming to frustrate my trading plans.
The sigs topic:

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:32 am »

This will make trading so much better, as they will bring more stuff you request instead of only requestiong gold bars and they bring 3

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »

Somewhat related question. I'm thinking of modding in a race of herbivores (large plains dwelling bison men) that refuse to use animals or animal products (so no pack animals, no wagon pullers, get mad if you offer them meat). So if they send merchants they would only bring logs, plants and plant products (booze and cloth). The problem is that they would have no pack animals to bring it on and someone recently mentioned that they had Elves show up without trade goods one time (used a custom animal that had been modded in and they forgot to add [trADE_CAPACITY:x] to the animal entry), so I know these guys would show up wanting to trade, but not bring anything. If I gave the race itself something like [trADE_CAPACITY:2500] would they just haul huge backpacks filled with trade goods?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 04:15:17 pm »

There's no support for that. You could put it up in Suggestions if you like.
The sigs topic: