Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14247 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »

Man, Strife is going to be so mad when he gets back.

I mean, I'm sure he expected this to happen, but it's pretty ugly all the same.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »

Actually, I said that we shouldn't have been in Iraq.  But once we were in coming out would be too late.  The terrorists' leaders, as I understand it, were in Afghanistan, though I may have that specific detail wrong.  But I know it wasn't Iraq.  But anyway, there's no way we can get that oil any cheaper unless we actually conquer Iraq.  Which we aren't doing.
And in that case it was not the army as a whole, but a portion of it, and those involved were tried by their superiors.

More like they were chosen to take a fall - for - their superiors.

Watch "Taxi to the dark side" A documentary on Abu Ghraib.
If I believed every documentary I saw, I would be a crazy conspiracy theorist thinking the world would end in 2012.  Who made the documentary?

And again, realize that you are arguing that the OP is either evil, stupid, brainwashed, or desperate.  Or at least that's what it boils down to.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

I'm actually laughing my head off over here, but that might be sleep deprivation and my happiness in finding a case of my preferred root beer brand. I'm coming up with responses right now.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2010, 06:07:50 pm »

Pshaw, it's Strife's fault for not taking hold of the conversation in the first place. I mean, he tells us about this, and then becomes unusually quiet as everyone else steers the discussion. He SO had the opportunity to tell us his war fantasies, like how he wants to kill Osama Bin Laden, embalm his corpse, then go all around the middle east with his battalion buddies in some kind of bizarre circus where they show off Osama' cadavar for small a fee.

Well, that's more of what I want to do then what he wants, but still...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2010, 06:08:17 pm »

And I thought you would be setting people straight.

I'm actually laughing my head off over here, but that might be sleep deprivation and my happiness in finding a case of my preferred root beer brand. I'm coming up with responses right now.

OK cool.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:06 pm »

If I believed every documentary I saw, I would be a crazy conspiracy theorist thinking the world would end in 2012.  Who made the documentary?

And again, realize that you are arguing that the OP is either evil, stupid, brainwashed, or desperate.  Or at least that's what it boils down to.
Directed and written by: Alex Gibney
Cast:
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S.  I don't mind debating with you, but stop using personal insults. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:16:32 pm by Qloos »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »

Qloos, spoiler that.  Goddamn.

And I thought you would be setting people straight.

I know when I'm unnecessary.  This is a subject people are going to argue about no matter the details, and I've got better things to do than bang my head against a wall for nothing.  If it's going to out, it's going to out.  It's my freaking snow day here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »

Yeah, you're right.  The problem people don't seem to acknowledge the good that several members of the armed forces can, have, and are doing.  I don't need to say them again, since I already have.
finding a case of my preferred root beer brand.
Barqs?  Please tell me it's barqs.  I would love to know where to find bottles of Barqs. ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:12 pm »

I don't like war, probably more because the resources wasted than the direct harm inflicted. The sufering from war is as far as I know negligible ...

The seeming paradox of military expense being inversely correlated to suffering in war is resolved once you understand the utility of deterrence.  By spending a lot of money and sweat we avoid a lot of bloodshed.  A side benefit of readiness is the ability to dispatch enemies whose psychology resists deterrence.

Unless your home village is under attack with absolutely no diplomatic avenues available

9/11

The only reason the terrorists aren't doing a very good job killing us right now is that we're doing such a good job of killing them.
Volunteering to do the grisly job of getting them before they get us is both brave and sensible.  It is an act not so much of desperation as of understanding the desperation of our situation: kill or be killed.

what is much more likely however is someon who is seeking personal glory and social status

Parents will reliably kill to protect their children; children will often kill to protect their siblings and parents.  You've never had to protect anyone you loved, have you?

the last time the US military defended the US was about 1863 ish

You mean except for 9/11 and Pearl Harbor.

What use is an aircraft carrier in counter insurgency/ counter piracy?

You're British and you don't know why you need aircraft carriers?

The Royal Navy single-handedly won the Falkland Islands war.  It was only the Royal Navy's ability to project power that enabled Britain to prevail (that and Margaret Thatcher).  Victory in the Falklands also re-established the credibility of Britain's military deterrent.
Argentina continues to rattle the sabre, making demands for everything from reparations to territory.  Without aircraft carriers to defend your realm those impotent demands would turn into foreign boots on British citizens' throats faster than you could say "Galtieri".
I know it's expensive, but you need it, so learn to enjoy the peace that comes from readiness for war.  And visit the Falklands someday.

Proper protection from terrorism is having an educated security force at checkpoints and regulations on components that could be used to produce explosives.

Until that magic day comes staying proactive is our best option.  As long as the terrorists have U.S. Marines and Predator drones breathing down their necks at home they're going to have great difficulty executing more bombings and hijackings on U.S. soil.

By the American constitution and The Geneva Convention the American Army is already in the wrong.

Explain your legal reasoning.

Continuation of the war is only making it worse, and increases the chances of terrorism.

Ending the war prematurely increases the severity of terrorism.  We don't want the terrorists to have the luxury of planning and preparing attacks unmolested.

Back to the wall, no way out.

9/11

We know what they'll do to us if we ever relax our grip on their throats.  That makes us just as ruthless.  If you see that as an overriding advantage you should look at the footage of Americans leaping from the windows of the burning buildings on 9/11.  Our soldiers are out there to try to prevent that from happening again.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

You keep repeating 9/11. That was YEARS ago, and for ALMOST evryone it was over a hundred miles away and involving nobody they knew. I said VILLAGE, not city or country. The closest 150 people is your "village". Dunbar's number.
Protecting someone outside that "village", but still a smaller group than all of humanity, is generally a case when you should review why it is so and that you might be "brainwashed".
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:01 pm »

Armok, really?

Several thousand people died in a direct attack on America by foreign powers, and you expect us to just say "Oh well I didn't know any of them"

You really need to get outside and experience the real world for once, because it doesn't work the way you seem to think it works.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:28 pm »

Protecting someone outside that "village", but still a smaller group than all of humanity, is generally a case when you should review why it is so and that you might be "brainwashed".
Relief aid is brainwash?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »

Hey, Armok, it wasn't over a hundred miles away for 19 million people. Don't downplay 9/11 just because it happened ages ago. I know you seem to be emotionally distant from everything that isn't you, but don't talk about these things unless you have anything resembling a life outside. Cthuhu is going to die from overexposure to facepalm if you don't stop.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »

9/11 was a terrible event, but... I'm not sure what it has to do with the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.  I mean, the Taliban weren't behind it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »

Relief aid is brainwash?
Everything is brainwashing in Armok land.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17