Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14212 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

No Armok, it is you who is brainwashed.

And then Armok became a hater of the military.
I don't *hate* the military, I just dislike it. I also dislike doing homework, alcohol and dogs for their stupid antics.

Reasons for joining the military is being evil OR being stupid OR being brainwashed OR being desperate. Knowing Strife he's in the brainwashed category, and thus cannot be blamed any more than if someone had made bolts from his bones.

So now wanting to protect your country from harm means that you're brainwashed?
Nope, thinking joining the army is an efficient way to do that is being brainwashed. Unless your home village is under attack with absolutely no diplomatic avenues available, in wich case you fall in the "desperate" category. The amount of young americans who join the army I am prety sure is not a key factor in whether of not the USA is going to exist as a country or not in 50 years. if anything, joining and supporting the military encourages more spending and effort in that direction and prevents you from doing other work, and it seems much. much more likely in the current situation that if the US falls it will be because someone bought it, not because someone bombed it.

And yet the resources being spent in wars also creates jobs and opportunitys for other people. Hell, if you look back in history, the greatest scientific leaps made are due to conflict and/or war.

Reasons for joining the military is being evil OR being stupid OR being brainwashed OR being desperate.

Firstly, not sure what you mean by being evil being a reason to join the military. Could you elaborate on that bit?

Stupid is pretty strait forward, if a little vague.

Brainwashed has me a little confused. You don't mean real brainwashing, I understand that much. I'm assuming you're using a nice emotionally charged buzzword for people who read Biased Right Wing News as opposed to Biased Left Wing News.

Desperation could cover anyone though. You might as well have put "Other" in it's place. I mean, do any of the reasons people join the military count as real desperation, or are you just talking about people who join the military because it offers some advantages?
Evil: Either "Lol I wanna kill peaple this seems like a good ecuse I don't care abaut the reason for it." wich is probably extremly rare. what is much more likely however is someon who is seeking personal glory and social status, despite knowing they could help their contry more AND save lives and imporve just abaut evrything else for evryone else by staying at home and working on something less glamours.

Brainwashing: I don't mean by the govenment here, I mean by socity at large. Peer presure, cultural values being expected from you so often they finaly beconme internlized. far left and rigth wings are probably both eualy brainwashed (althou peaple who are moderate elswhere seem to be counted as liberal in the US), as is just abaut evryone on the planet, no matter what their affiliations are, but americans that are willing to go anywhere near politics, and religius peaple, tend to be especialy bad cases.

Desperate: Conscripts, people for who do it because it's the only way to get money/food, or people whos actual loved ones (as opposed to people they don't know who just happen to live under the same governing ody) is under an actual immediate (as in within line of sigh and hotile, not maybe becoming one years in the future) threat.

Now, I shuldn't continue this bnecause Iä'm losing choherence and am probably typing things I'll regert tomorow.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

And so the God of Blood enters into sleep...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »

I believe that people should do whatever makes them happy.

That is the most horrible moral tenet I've ever heard for so many incredibly obvious reasons

Life has no point if your not happy enough to enjoy it.

Way to miss the point

According to your philosophy, if raping children, then chopping off their limbs one at a time while cooking and eating each one, makes me happy, then I should do that

Also, lol at people equating "joining the US military" with "defending your country"

the last time the US military defended the US was about 1863 ish
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:39:36 pm by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »

According to your philosophy, if raping children, then chopping off their limbs one at a time while cooking and eating each one, makes me happy, then I should do that

If there's one thing DF Adventure Mode has taught us, it is that this is true.

the last time the US military defended the US was about 1863 ish

And that was from ourselves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

What constitutes as "defending the US" anyway? If you mean stopping a war on US soil, then we've never defended the US. We could have allowed the southern states to leave, and avoided a war and bloodshed. We could accepted being taxed by Britain before the revolutionary war, stopped that one too. We could have ignored Britain screwing with our soldiers in 1812 and avoided having the Capital sacked. I mean seriously, almost all of those wars where started for purely economical reasons, with some crap propaganda printed out to assuage our egos.

Seriously, what's changed?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:18:15 pm by Creaca »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »

If it makes you so happy that you don't have any regrets when the towns people lynch you, and its not me then yes.
If there's one thing DF Adventure Mode has taught us, it is that this is true.
Thats the spirit!

*Edit*
Before you call me a phycopath, most people who are already willing to kill a child would be bound by your morality system.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:42:07 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2010, 03:46:30 pm »

Once again others explain my point much. much better than my confused ranblings.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »

Oh?  So we weren't defending our country by fighting the axis powers, who had already bombed us and threatened to take us over anyway if they weren't stopped overseas?  We weren't defending our country when we entered (and helped to break the stalemate) of WWI when the Zimmermen note was intercepted?  We weren't defending our country when trying to track down terrorist groups in the middle east?  (which we only recently actually started doing, what with going into the country that the  9/11 organizers came from in the first place, instead of Iraq like that monkey Bush had us go into).  Here's the thing; my dad is military and he only still works with it because the job he has pays well and he likes it.  That's how it has been, the only exception being when the military was reduced prior to the newer Bush administration.  He is most certainly not an idiot, and while politically I don't agree with him, he is certainly more knowledgeable in that department than a brainwashed idiot would be.  And the government certainly doesn't own him.

So please, stop raining on Strife's parade.  If the military wasn't necessary we wouldn't have it at all, and if everyone in it were stupid for joining it, it would have to be a pretty damn small military.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2010, 04:52:31 pm »

Not to mention dropping into a thread going "Lol you guys are idiots" when a guy enters a field he has dreamed of entering is somewhat of a jerky move. Discussions and debates are fine, as well as the freedom to express ones views. Doesn't excuse being a dick about it.
 Edit: Screw it, that won't bring chill to this thread.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:02:22 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »

Not to mention dropping into a thread going "Lol you guys are idiots" when a guy enters a field he has dreamed of entering is somewhat of a jerky move. Discussions and debates are fine, as well as the freedom to express ones views. Doesn't excuse being a dick about it.
 Not to mention the expression is filled with dramatically large generalizations, like that everybody on the front lines need to kill and that is why they are doing it, and that everybody not in a fighting or maintenance roles are corrupt, or that the money is being misused when we invest so much in weapons made to prevent collateral damage.

Specific things like "This military guy greenlighted this bad thing" or "This grunt made a blunder" or "The plan to invade this place is a bad one" are all cool. "They are all evil." is a bit much.

Are any of those actual quotes?  If not, you just made the discussion that much worse.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2010, 04:56:03 pm »

Good for you Strife.   ;D

Be whatever you want?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:17:07 pm by ToonyMan »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2010, 05:01:58 pm »

Not to mention the expression is filled with dramatically large generalizations, like that everybody on the front lines need to kill and that is why they are doing it, and that everybody not in a fighting or maintenance roles are corrupt, or that the money is being misused when we invest so much in weapons made to prevent collateral damage.

Specific things like "This military guy greenlighted this bad thing" or "This grunt made a blunder" or "The plan to invade this place is a bad one" are all cool. "They are all evil." is a bit much.

Are any of those actual quotes?  If not, you just made the discussion that much worse.
Generalizations, but I don't think we would take something like an example and take it out of conte-
 Oh, wait. Nevermind. I'll just slash out that later bit...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2010, 05:02:46 pm »

Reasons for joining the military is being evil OR being stupid OR being brainwashed OR being desperate. Knowing Strife he's in the brainwashed category, and thus cannot be blamed any more than if someone had made bolts from his bones.

So now wanting to protect your country from harm means that you're brainwashed?

Protect your country from what?  Going to war and subjugating a populous to your doctrines is not "protecting."  Proper protection from terrorism is having an educated security force at checkpoints and regulations on components that could be used to produce explosives.

Answering a call to arms when your country and liberty is threatened is one thing, but I feel there is no real threat.  Only a hyped one.

And to everyone else saying "Just be happy."  Personal satisfaction should not come at the expense of someone else's fundamental rights.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »

Answering a call to arms when your country and liberty is threatened is one thing, but I feel there is no real threat.  Only a hyped one.

Your not him, and you are judging him because he is doing something he thinks is right.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2010, 05:09:56 pm »

Duke said it.

I whole-heartedly disagree with war and "fighting for your country", yet I love it when people follow their dream.

Also, do not forget that in other countries, "the army" is used for different stuff in peace-time, like helping with natural disasters such as floods. You've got this huge team of people, who have immense technical knowledge, the awesome tools that go with it, can be deployed in a short time, and are trained to make split decisions under duress. (Well, that's the ideal situation of course ;) ).

Just sayin', you don't need to agree with strife to be happy for him anyhow, and pray to your (un)deity of choice that he will not be killed, nor will kill anyone else.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17