Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .  (Read 14184 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wow. Less than 170 days left . . .
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »

When you join an armed force, you become as moral as the power controlling them.  As you have chosen to place faith in their marching orders.  If it is a rash choice out of financial desperation, only then, I might feel some sympathy as you enter the military.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »

Wouldn't you be just as guilty for paying taxes and therefore funding that military? I'd say an Army needs money more than it needs men to function.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »

Well no, because if you don't pay taxes you get them fined out of you, and so on and so forth, and you don't get to choose where your taxes go.  If you don't join the military, nothing happens.  At least since America doesn't have a draft anymore.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 07:47:20 pm »

Well Qloos already implied that this "Mystery Country" might be immoral enough that joining its armed forces is unforgivable. So why not leave? If you're involved in skilled labor I'm sure another country would be dieing to snap you up.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 08:17:11 pm »

Being within a social group gives a person a sense of belonging, it is less morally questionable to remain within an unethical group than to willingly join one that has already partaken in questionable actions.

And don't assume my political views.  I never said "unforgivable."  Although breaches to the Geneva convention are quite high on my list of evil acts.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:21 pm »

So the debate begins. Jude. Qloos, feel like opening up with some specifics?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »

I believe that people should do whatever makes them happy.

If joining the military makes you happy, you should.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »

Hope you enjoy having your entire life and self owned by a huge, faceless institution that doesn't give a fuck whether you die or live
This really is a very broad, and therefore unfair, statement.  Most of the money they use up is actually put into minimizing casualties.  Big, uncoordinated explosives cost little.  Kevlar and small, computer-guided bombs (sometimes only filled with concrete) cost lots.

My dad's been in this deal with the navy.  He likes it, I'm sure Strife will like the army.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 11:03:32 pm »

America doesn't have a draft anymore.
Technically we still have the Selective Service.

And I personally support Strife's decision. I personally dislike fighting and would rather not participate in it, but I wouldn't have the option to not join if we didn't have guys like Strife.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:01 pm »

I view the armed forces like I view the police; it's a shitty job, but someone's got to do it, and I respect anyone with the guts to do so.

That being said, the Aussie armed forces are very different to the Yanks. We only ever really deploy our commando (SAS) units to the frontline, and most otherwise our guys get used as peacekeepers/emergency aid, so we have lot lower casualty and collateral damage rates. This makes it a lot easier to support the soldiers. What are the general feelings in other countries?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:30 am »

Being within a social group gives a person a sense of belonging, it is less morally questionable to remain within an unethical group than to willingly join one that has already partaken in questionable actions.
    You're acting as if there are two separate groups in this case. Aren't armed forces just extensions of the government already in place? Why, in some countrys, I've heard elected officials becoming the Commander In Chief of their armed forces.

And don't assume my political views.  I never said "unforgivable."  Although breaches to the Geneva convention are quite high on my list of evil acts.

Not sure how to reply to this. In one half you scold me for assuming your political views. But then, in the second half you confirm that I wasn't too far off the mark.

If you're going to protest a Military, don't protest the guys on the front lines trying to pay for college without eating a bullet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:08:13 am by Creaca »

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:11 am »

I wish you luck, and am glad that you have decided to fight for our right to argue about war.

I am anti war myself, but believe there is a distinction between the people doing the hard work, and the people giving them orders.  It is possible to be against the conflict, but still respect and admire the heros that were ordered to  partake in it.  Hate the politicians, love the country.  Godspeed, strife.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:54 am »

If you're going to protest a Military, don't protest the guys on the front lines trying to pay for college without eating a bullet.

This.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:10 am »

That is the most horrible moral tenet I've ever heard for so many incredibly obvious reasons

And no not really I don't feel like debating but good luck getting out of the military if you decide you don't want to be there. I wasn't kidding about them completely owning you, like, in the sense of property
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

That is the most horrible moral tenet I've ever heard for so many incredibly obvious reasons

Life has no point if your not happy enough to enjoy it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17