Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On-The-Fly FPS Cap Adjusting  (Read 1637 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
On-The-Fly FPS Cap Adjusting
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:13:06 pm »

So I'm playing DF 40d17 and my dwarves are zipping around at 100 FPS, easy. Suddenly a pack of zombie wolves appears. Wouldn't it be nice to tone down the speed of the game so I can watch the carnage in pseudo real time? How about slow motion?

Introducing the dynamic FPS cap feature. The - key reduces my FPS cap by 10 every time I press it, while the + key increases my cap by 10. Should such a functionality be introduced, it allows me to slow down to 20 FPS to watch a fight, scale up to 50 FPS during normal operations, or blaze along at 100 FPS while I wait for dwarves to finish mining a new chamber.

Granted, this only affects the cap and not the actual FPS, so if my computer can't handle 800 dwarves pathing to the trade depot there's nothing to help me there in this proposal. However playing the game at a breakneck pace can be detrimental during a crisis while the fortress is still young, since the little mistakes you make in the first year or two are the ones that get your fortress abandoned.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: On-The-Fly FPS Cap Adjusting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:06:09 pm »

Not to imply that it's not useful to discuss the details, but this falls under a dev item:

# Req548, IN-GAME INIT OPTION ACCESS, (Future): You should be able to change any reasonable init option within the game (flows as numbers, etc.).

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:56:12 pm »

And the FPS cap is most definately a reasonable .init option to change in-game. May Toady smile upon the implementation of this feature.

Now, would we do this from pause? I'm thinking yes.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:11 pm »

Hmm... As to the specifics of the numbers, I'd prefer to go with the +/- keys (or whichever ones they're bound to) changing the FPS by a number based upon the current FPS.  So it would bet +10/-10 for say ~20-100, but +1/-1 at 20 or below, +20/-20 at 100-200, and +100/-100 at higher than 200.  That would let you have fine control when it would be useful but also be able to raise/lower the cap quickly at higher numbers.

Another options would be having multiple init-defined speed settings with keys to set the FPS cap to, much like The Sims.  That would be easier on the player than the primary idea, but make you have less control.