Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Why do people argue and fight instead of calmly debate?  (Read 7570 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people argue and fight instead of calmly debate?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »

I may have missed this, but I didnt see a cogent premise for lawyers being banned. The counter proofs as to why they shouldnt seem silly without that.

Overall, peeples deserve to make at what they do, and high skilled labor, such as lawyers are among those. I think a stronger case could be made for entreatment media workers and how much they get paid (minus the skilled laborers in that profession.) This may be a bias from not a sport enthused person, but who in their right mind needs to get paid nine+ digits to move a ball around a court and stop others moving a ball around a court.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 06:58:16 pm »

Because it's always possible to find a job, and I guess she can afford childcare somehow?
If you made half-decent choices in life it's not that hard to find employment. Make yourself a valued commodity. There are a thousand ditchdiggers out there for every ditchdigging job. Lesson: don't make yourself a ditchdigger.

And let's be fucking realistic here: nobody's going to sue an unemployed single mother unless she's done something wrong (hi, RIAA!). If they do, pro-bono defenses already exist. If you're bitching because she can't sue someone--that's what contingency-fee lawyers are for. There is no problem here.

But that insurance is not compulsory.

Auto insurance is.  What do you have to say about that?
I have my choice of any auto insurer who will insure me for collision liability. I can then choose to use any insurer who deems it financially viable to insure me. If you're such a terror on the roads (and believe me, I am--I have this nasty habit of crashing cars) that you're uninsurable (I'm not that bad...yet), you probably shouldn't be driving (and I don't, except when I can't avoid it).

Auto insurance isn't about you. It's about who you crash into. It makes sense to require it, because that minimum insurance is to cover the costs to the other guy, not you. On the other hand, medical insurance (or this insane little "pay my lawyers" deal) is about you, not the other guy. You can and should take care of yourself, but it's your choice not to. It's not your choice to fuck somebody else up and not pay, hence the requirement of auto insurance. (And before the question is asked--I 100% unconditionally support tax writeoffs up to the full amount of health insurance for every child that is a dependent of a taxpayer. Kids should be covered. You hit 18, you're an adult, clean up your own messes.)

Insurance mandates are also, while regulated by the government, not a governmental function to provide it. Regulation is just effing peachy. The government as a salesman is not.

I am vastly skeptical of the quality of representation that a government not particularly well-known for quality control will provide for my money.

You do realize that the reason the government has such a poor history of quality control is because you keep electing people who campaign on dismantling the government who stop trying halfway through.
Of course I realize that. And those people will be re-elected later. More the reason not to give them more things to fuck up when they are, because then it negatively impacts me even further. Marvelous!

And I'm okay with that. Because it's not the government's job to take care of you. Personal! Responsibility! Is! Awesome!

(n.b.: This can be construed as a hearty "nail them to the wall and light them on fire" to the entire looter class--hi, Enron folks. Consistency's awesome too.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:03:23 pm by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

If you made half-decent choices in life it's not that hard to find employment. Make yourself a valued commodity. There are a thousand ditchdiggers out there for every ditchdigging job. Lesson: don't make yourself a ditchdigger.
Let's see how long we last without any unskilled workers, shall we?

And let's be fucking realistic here: nobody's going to sue an unemployed single mother unless she's done something wrong (hi, RIAA!). If they do, pro-bono defenses already exist. If you're bitching because she can't sue someone--that's what contingency-fee lawyers are for. There is no problem here.
Actually, to be honest, it was more to challenge your "There's always a way" ideal than specifically over the matter of law.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 07:02:27 pm »

Overall, peeples deserve to make at what they do, and high skilled labor, such as lawyers are among those. I think a stronger case could be made for entreatment media workers and how much they get paid (minus the skilled laborers in that profession.) This may be a bias from not a sport enthused person, but who in their right mind needs to get paid nine+ digits to move a ball around a court and stop others moving a ball around a court.

People get paid whatever they can convince people to pay them, in relation to everything else available in their market.  Why are major league (not anything lower mind you) paid so much?  Because each team wants to attract the best players (who get drafted), so the salaries just keep climbing to stay competitive.

I am vastly skeptical of the quality of representation that a government not particularly well-known for quality control will provide for my money.
You do realize that the reason the government has such a poor history of quality control is because you keep electing people who campaign on dismantling the government who stop trying halfway through.
Of course I realize that. And those people will be re-elected later. More the reason not to give them more things to fuck up when they are, because then it negatively impacts me even further. Marvelous!

And I'm okay with that. Because it's not the government's job to take care of you. Personal! Responsibility! Is! Awesome!

Or you could elect people who actually want government services to deliver what they promise, for those many many times when personal responsibility isn't enough.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »

Or you could elect people who actually want government services to deliver what they promise, for those many many times when personal responsibility isn't enough.
But I don't want government services that are there to take care of fuckups. Where governmental services are necessary as a pragmatic concern are in areas that are of societal benefit rather than that of the individual. Like--travel infrastructure? Not a bad way to spend money. In an ideal world I'd rather not, but we can't avoid it, it has to happen. But society doesn't fall down because one person gets cancer and dies. Society does fall down if the roads are impassable. That's a really good clue as to where societal money shall be spent.

I don't really care one way or the other on UHC; it's going to happen eventually, and while I will ideologically dislike it, I will certainly cheer for it to work and work spectacularly well. I don't think it will, precisely for the reason you pointed out, but I do hope that it works. But this "hurr I wanna sue Wal-Mart, pay for my lawyer!" garbage (and to forestall the inevitable, of course nobody said that outright, but you can't stop that kind of thing while making it useful in the larger case) is crazy-talk. Nobody has a right to an attorney except in criminal cases--and they already get one there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:11:28 pm by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:54 pm »

Because it's always possible to find a job, and I guess she can afford childcare somehow?

Your position seems faulty due to the fact that the poor, for your wording, have sued those richer themselves.

In counter fact, I'm due about 700 dollars from walmart and H&R block (about 20 from them) because it completely possible and plausible to do so.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 07:12:37 pm »

ok I'll shut up now  ;D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »

Your position seems faulty due to the fact that the poor, for your wording, have sued those richer themselves.

In counter fact, I'm due about 700 dollars from walmart and H&R block (about 20 from them) because it completely possible and plausible to do so.
Uh... I'm not sure what relevance that has to my quote.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »

Nobody has a right to an attorney except in criminal cases--and they already get one there.

The funny thing is, everybody thinks this is true.  You get an attorney, if you can prove to the court that you absolutely cannot hire one yourself.  All those times we've responded to "well, if you can't afford it, it'll be paid for" with "but who decides that?" have been answered, and very harshly.  Can't afford it?  Take out a loan.  Don't have the credit?  Borrow from relatives.  They won't do it?  Try harder.  Don't have relatives?  Pawn some shit.  Don't have shit to pawn?  Maybe then.  And that attorney is going to be the cheapest one the court can find, and he's not going to give a shit because he's already been paid.

I and people close to me have been through that process.  If you're not in holding for a charge that prohibits visitation, and you have absolutely any access to liquid funds whatsoever, you don't get a free attorney.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:27:46 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

Phoenix Wright has a 100% success rate, and he's pretty cheap too.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »

Something something get a job.

Again: it's harder for some than others. Life sucks. Wear a helmet.

Um, honestly you do realize that there's a 10%+ unemployment rate recession out there that was caused by stupid banks being risky, credit default swaps not being regulated as insurance, traditional investment banker partnerships incorporating for limited liability, and lots of other things right? You could make the argument that some borrowers were foolish, but all of us are paying for it, and that includes a lot of unemployed people who never had anything to do with other people's borrowing decisions. As for the garbage men of the world, I sure as hell don't want that job and it needs done. I can respect a man's desire for a living wage; as long as he can respect my desire for a wage that reflects the years of 14-18 hour days of learning/working I have invested in this career.

You seem really tense dropping f bombs and blame like candy falling off a parade float towards the kids....
Honestly, do you think that will make your point better? All it's gonna do is derail the thread and get it locked. Whereas my approach uses simple techniques to show impracticality of certain things suggested by others.

I respect your views, but don't you think your approach kind of goes against the thread? Calmly debating v. arguing? Let's do the first.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:20:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:38 pm »

Something something get a job.

Again: it's harder for some than others. Life sucks. Wear a helmet.

Um, honestly you do realize that there's a 10%+ unemployment rate recession out there that was caused by stupid banks being risky, credit default swaps not being regulated as insurance, traditional investment banker partnerships incorporating for limited liability, and lots of other things right? You could make the argument that some borrowers were foolish, but all of us are paying for it, and that includes a lot of unemployed people who never had anything to do with other people's borrowing decisions. As for the garbage men of the world, I sure as hell don't want that job and it needs done. I can respect a man's desire for a living wage; as long as he can respect my desire for a wage that reflects the years of 14-18 hour days of learning/working I have invested in this career.
Of course there are a lot of unemployed people out there. What people don't like to acknowledge is that, for the most part, they are entirely fungible positions that have been removed. They're positions that those employers can do without (if they hadn't gone out of business entirely--at which point it becomes prudent to ask, "couldn't you see the tea leaves?"). The people who remain employed during a recession are people who have worked to become irreplaceable (or just aren't replaceable enough at the moment to make the loss of productivity and efficacy worth firing them).

I don't know where they're publicly available (resources through my school), but go break down unemployment by level of education. College grads are at something well below half the overall level of unemployment. (I wish I could get granularity on how many of them are, say, English majors, but I don't think that information's available out there.)

As for the garbagemen--sure, they do a hard job. And there's a thousand people lined up behind them to take the job if they don't want it. The difficulty of the job is not what determines the paycheck, otherwise a garbageman will be pulling down a hundred and twenty kay. The rarity of somebody who can actually do the job matters. There are lots of potential garbagemen--thus, garbagemen aren't worth much. Nobody is entitled to a "living wage," they're entitled to a fair market wage. The two do not necessarily coincide.

Once you turn 18, it is no one's responsibility but your own to make yourself worth it to other people to get paid the way you think you deserve.

You seem really tense dropping f bombs and blame like candy falling off a parade float towards the kids....
Honestly, do you think that will make your point better? All it's gonna do is derail the thread and get it locked. Whereas my approach uses simple techniques to show impracticality of certain things suggested by others.
Tense? No. More effective? Also no. It's simpler than that: I write as I speak. And profanity is second only to blasphemy in my favorite pursuits. The word "fuck" is an incredibly versatile word that I enjoy using in the proper context. It's not that big a deal. If I were insulting people, I'd see why you might be getting upset, but I'm not.

Your approach is about as effective as mine in changing minds, so I'm not sure I'd be bragging.

I respect your views, but don't you think your approach kind of goes against the thread? Calmly debating v. arguing? Let's do the first.
Read my first post in my thread. I don't expect anyone to listen to anyone. That's what makes arguing on the Internet so much fun.

(And when did using the word "fuck" mean one is not calm? Man, the people I work with IRL would be shocked at that one.)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 11:49:43 pm »

The people who remain employed during a recession are people who have worked to become irreplaceable (or just aren't replaceable enough at the moment to make the loss of productivity and efficacy worth firing them).

Completely ignoring that in businesses that don't have union rules to prevent it, the people most frequently laid off in bad quarters are the more experienced, longer working employees, because they draw higher salaries than new hires.  Or that a huge part of America's unemployment are manufacturing workers whose life training only applies to industries that have left the country through no fault of theirs, aside from wanting a wage commiserate to American market prices instead of Malaysian wages.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:51:46 pm by Aqizzar »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 11:49:24 am »

The people who remain employed during a recession are people who have worked to become irreplaceable (or just aren't replaceable enough at the moment to make the loss of productivity and efficacy worth firing them).
That is pure mythology and one of the most laughably ridiculous things I've ever heard
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:06 am »

Of course there are a lot of unemployed people out there. What people don't like to acknowledge is that, for the most part, they are entirely fungible positions that have been removed. They're positions that those employers can do without (if they hadn't gone out of business entirely--at which point it becomes prudent to ask, "couldn't you see the tea leaves?"). The people who remain employed during a recession are people who have worked to become irreplaceable (or just aren't replaceable enough at the moment to make the loss of productivity and efficacy worth firing them).

I don't know where they're publicly available (resources through my school), but go break down unemployment by level of education. College grads are at something well below half the overall level of unemployment. (I wish I could get granularity on how many of them are, say, English majors, but I don't think that information's available out there.)

As for the garbagemen--sure, they do a hard job. And there's a thousand people lined up behind them to take the job if they don't want it. The difficulty of the job is not what determines the paycheck, otherwise a garbageman will be pulling down a hundred and twenty kay. The rarity of somebody who can actually do the job matters. There are lots of potential garbagemen--thus, garbagemen aren't worth much. Nobody is entitled to a "living wage," they're entitled to a fair market wage. The two do not necessarily coincide.

Once you turn 18, it is no one's responsibility but your own to make yourself worth it to other people to get paid the way you think you deserve.

All due respect, I'm not sure if you're trying to flame (as per your first post) or not, but you might be missing things here with a simplistic economic approach. Econ is one of my degrees too....

There have been several market failures lately.

Where to begin? Banks and bankers have responsibilities to others in a larger ethical and legal sense. They have fiduciary duties to their stock holders to act in the best interest of the corporation and ethical duties to the rest of us to not be massive cheats/twits. Highly paid twits in the banking industry ignored what was right in front of them: you can't make subprime loans to people who can't pay them back for short term gain. Further, the bank's CPA (Certifiied PUBLIC Accountants) had ethical duties to report on the risk; they didn't. So the banks all acted stupidly and there was no alternative (as presupposed in a market theory) to put your money in. There was a massive systematic risk of the entire US banking industry collapsing, and thus we bailed them out. The only problem is that the same twits are still running things in banking.

Same thing in insurance. Credit Default Swaps pay you in the event a bond issuer (borrower) defaults on the bond. It's bond insurance, but Lobbyists inserted one line into a house bill saying they were not. This means that they are not regulated as insurance and you don't need an "insurable interest," which means you can insure your own risks but not other people's risks. This is because you would then be benefiting off their failure and have an incentive to make them fail. Enter Mortgage backed securities.... A little company called AIG sold sometimes 12 insurance policies on the same bond to guarantee payment, because the US housing market would never crash and hey, let's collect all those premiums.... That means AIG had to pay 12 people the entire amount of a bond (easily $1 million in grouped bonds) for each bond grouping of mortgages that weren't paid. Hence, why AIG needed bailed out....

Finally, traditional Investment Bankers were partnerships and not corporations for reasons that would take an entire class to get into. Partnerships have unlimited personal risk to the partners, but lower taxes than corporations and are very selective about their owners/members. The idea used to be that only professionals would be in this type of partnership, to ensure that the profit motive would be tempered by respect for ethical considerations imposed on a profession (like in law firms). Now corporate investors simply want more money and could care less about professional ethics in Investment Banking Firms. Finally, with the new introduction of corporate limited liability, the "who cares if it fails" attitude took hold, because after all, the former partners--now shareholders--aren't responsible
Everyone else seems to be....

Combine lax/stupid banking across the whole industry, insane insurance practices, and no liability for traditionally risky businesses and you get one hell of a storm. This has taken down businesses that were otherwise perfectly stable. Many failed simply because of the recession brought about by these three primary factors. We do bankruptcies and have been surprised to learn that longstanding businesses--that weathered previous recessions-- are falling because of this.

As for the workers, I agree generally with investing in human capital to make yourself better. However in this case, the cause of the unemployment seems to lie in places other than human capital. It is because of an insane capital market, that labor is now suffering. Regulation concerning disclosure akin to the 1933-34 securities act is required to rectify this, because if these bankers, insurers, and investors were lawyers, they would be sued for malpractice. Currently there is no such legal theory to sue on.

This horrid economy was caused by stupid banks. We are all paying for it.
We are not banks, thus we are paying for things we are not personally responsible for. All the while, the banks who caused this crap, will never pay for it, because if they did, it would take the rest of us down with them even moreso.

Given the above, can you not at least see that the currently unemployed population is not at fault? It's a causation issue. Capitalism requires that the people in charge of major institutions act rationally. Even Ayn Rand said that. What happens when they don't?

As for my argumentation style, I'll have to agree to disagree with you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:13:55 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7